• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The financial crisis is even evident when watching Match of the Day on saturday night TV!

West Ham Utd's sponsor (XL airlines) bust

Man Utd's sponsor (AIG) will be bust by the weekend

Liverpool's new stadium postponed due to "credit crunch"

:lol:

World is gonna be a different place... for you and for me and the entire human race [cue music]

Meantime, VIX and VXO are over 30- levels that are often associated with lows

VIX: 33.41 Change: +1.71

Open: 31.70 High: 33.68 Low: 31.70

Percent Change: +5.39%

VXO: 37.40 Change: +3.79

Open: 36.59 High: 36.84 Low: 36.59

Percent Change: +11.28%

aa0zr3.gif

/see: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=4141

Guys and Gals of the GEI gold thread.......

According to HPC, we are now officially "Gold Purists" and not "Gold Bugs". Has our status risen these last few days?

ETFS’ physically-backed firms Metal Securities and Gold Bullion Securities, and Shell-backed Oil Securities, are unaffected by AIG’s problems, with ETFS reporting active markets in all of them.

My faith is in Cgnao

& I'll wring his neck if he is wrong :)

& yes, I do know where he is ......................

I really must cut back on this wine consumption.

So if anyone has any ideas on another more worthwhile path in a physical lifetime i would be pleased to hear it.

Thank you

Where can I get info on how to read and understand these bl00dy charts people keep posting. :huh:

:lol::lol: Nice one HM I needed a chuckle today. They're not the easiest are they. I love a chart unaccompanied by any explanation.. :rolleyes:

I think this one is suggesting that it's getting very expensive to borrow gold (for the purposes of shorting). Proabably cos the owners are more keen to keep hold of it or want more paper compensation to lend it now that things are looking more and more like a pikey's picnic.

Just made a large (for me) gold purchase from Coininvest. Have to admit i was crapping myself a bit having huge amounts of cash flying round the banking system when it's in this parlous state. I have also been watching the dealer commission rise steadily from ~GBP350 to over GBP410 and now about GBP400 per kilo.

I just hope the shipment makes it...

same question here. i would be comfortable shorting if we top in the dollar or bottom in the stock market and none of this is yet confirmed

There is going to be at least one more big institutional implosion. So it might be wise to wait. However, if you've got enough in your margin account then now is as good a time as any to short.

I was watching news night yesterday and they were talking about all of the banking failures and said this is directly comparable to the depression, wow! It was everything we have been talking about for years rolled in to one sentence. Whilst this is clearly a pivotal moment, I really expected some big moves on gold yesterday, but alas (and again!) it hasn't happened. The fall out of this appears exponential and yet so far nothing... What will be the catalyst that sends this into an uncontainable downward spiral and gold soaring, the demise of AIG? I am still amazed they have managed to keep the wheels on MBIA and AMBAC, surely these boys are going to go pop soon. Why has there been so little noise about the monoliners, are they receiving undisclosed assistance?

Dazed and confused... :blink:

Monolines are either going down the good bank/bad bank route (with CDS/CDO counterparties taking a hit) or mothballing operations for 2-5 years until (they hope) this crisis has blown over. As they only have to pay timely principal and interest on debt they have insured, they should be able to limp along for a good few years.

Unless the US economy tanks big time (e.g. a repeat of the last 12 months - increasingly a possibility), in which case they will breach regulatory capital limits, get taken over by the NY state regulator and prompt a firesale of assets with onward impact on bank's CDS/CDO mark to markets (both on monoline collateral and their other collateral).

Monolines seem to have dropped out of the picture of woe of late, but they remain a festering boil on the arse of the global banking system.

Monty