• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Damn it, I thought I'd invented something there. Still, no change for me, every time I thought I'd invented something new in research electronics I always found out IBM had done it in the 60's.

Blast them all!

Showing my (lack of) class, I once thought I'd invented the word 'crud' but then years later I heard Rambo say it in his first film.

Some dejected people asking questions on FSN this week - one lost 80-90% on his gold juniors,and questioning if the commodity bull run is over. Another invested since 2003 and dollar cost averaging has been "wiped out", he believes something has dramatically changed.

:o

Listened to first hour and 3a, leaving the rest for when i'm in the car..

out of interest what did jim have to say to these people?

BIG FREEZE coming?

I reckon that there is a real chance that they will Freeze all of Lehman's derivatives trades tomorrow,

and let the rest of the market continue.

They they will look for a way to unfreeze trades as they are booked out. They will only do so, if a majority of banks have agreed to this solution

You think the Fed and US treasury will set a precedent and let one of the big four fail?

I've not been following this story but I think that there are emergency meetings expected to conclude before the Asian markets open today. I think they want to put pressure on the other banks to bail them out, I don't expect the banks to take this on completely but I'm expecting to see some news in the next few hours on it.

You think the Fed and US treasury will set a precedent and let one of the big four fail?

I've not been following this story but I think that there are emergency meetings expected to conclude before the Asian markets open today. I think they want to put pressure on the other banks to bail them out, I don't expect the banks to take this on completely but I'm expecting to see some news in the next few hours on it.

I think there is a limit to what they can do. At the moment, they are still containing the damage fairly well - money supply growth is 'holding up' despite apparent credit contraction is most sectors. i.e. SLS etc are plugging the gap.

It has to move to "damage limitation" soon, and then just "damage". I'm looking forward to seeing how far the Fed (and other CBs) will take it. I still can't see them literally printing (rather than lending), but who knows. I'm pretty sure they must be running out of ammo, re F&F style bail outs.

I believe the logic they say they are following is, bailouts are ok (though undesirable) if the trouble that caused the bailout is just panic (i.e. potentially curable), rather than due to deep underlying problems. Beats me how they decide is which is which though.

Anyone heard any "soothing" announcements about Lehman? Below is non-"soothing"

Barclays quits Lehman sale talks

Derivative traders open session to reduce Lehman risk

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:05pm EDT

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - An emergency trading session has been opened between Wall Street dealers with Lehman Brothers counterparty risk, the International Swaps and Derivatives Association said Sunday.

The session will run from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and will involve credit, equity, rates, foreign exchange and commodity derivatives, the ISDA said in a statement.

The aim is to reduce risk associated with a potential bankruptcy filing by Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

"Trades are contingent on a bankruptcy filing at or before 11.59 p.m. New York time Sunday," said the statement. "If there is no filing, the trades cease to exist."

They may be letting this one go to the wall?

Listened to first hour and 3a, leaving the rest for when i'm in the car..

out of interest what did jim have to say to these people?

Quit whinging buy financials then :lol:

Been having a nosey on ebay folks and 1 kilo silver sold for 530 quid 2nd sept

1 kilo silver buy it now for 485 quid today

I oz krugger 475 quid today

better hurry up and get yourselfs some phyical while its still cheap. :P

Quit whinging buy financials then :lol:

Been having a nosey on ebay folks and 1 kilo silver sold for 530 quid 2nd sept

1 kilo silver buy it now for 485 quid today

I oz krugger 475 quid today

better hurry up and get yourselfs some phyical while its still cheap. :P

Seems that money laundering crooks are prepared to pay more on ebay than a dealer that might pass on the details to the law. Thats my theory anyway. What about the 1kg gold bars for sale for £16,500? Can get them for £14,000 from dealer.

Soon be posting nice rocket pics again this week :D

yes, but........... paper price may fall given the bullsh1t market we find ourselves in at the mo - physical price should continue with its dis-connect

The dollar is being traded now. It's down, but not by much - nearly a cent on the euro. Not as dramatic as F&F night.

Still a lot of uncertainty out there - lehman bankruptcy is not a given yet: it's being reported as the most likely scenario unless I've missed some news in the last 30 mins :unsure:

yes, but........... paper price may fall given the bullsh1t market we find ourselves in at the mo - physical price should continue with its dis-connect

Is Physical price (i.e Spot) not currently sitting very close to "Paper" price (ie nearby Futures contract)?

Still a lot of uncertainty out there - lehman bankruptcy is not a given yet: it's being reported as the most likely scenario unless I've missed some news in the last 30 mins :unsure:

I agree. I would be pretty wary of a last minute deal or bailout until firm confirmation was in. We do seem to be being softened up for a BK though. I wonder if the LSE will manage to get through tomorrow?

post 818 refers to ebay??

I think spot and futures price are very close for Silver (ie no disconnect)

I went into more detail on this on the 'watch silver' thread. Basically, if I sell coins, I use eBay where they are nearly getting double spot. paper prices are becoming more meaningless to me personally as each day goes by (applies to gold but to a lesser extent eg. krugs selling at £490 last week

edit - and I'm sure I get some stick for this but as everyday goes by, kitco and coininvests silver inventory is decreasing. fact.

Dollar fall starting to gain momentum. If there is a BK, then it will be very interesting to see if gold and commodities diverge.

I would have thought that a BK would send out a recessionary message, and a "dollar not good" message, so I would would guess that non dollar currencies (exc. Au for now) would rise, and stocks and commodities would fall. But gold also has safe haven status.

But I am probably seriously oversimplifying.

I went into more detail on this on the 'watch silver' thread. Basically, if I sell coins, I use eBay where they are nearly getting double spot. paper prices are becoming more meaningless to me personally as each day goes by (applies to gold but to a lesser extent eg. krugs selling at £490 last week

edit - and I'm sure I get some stick for this but as everyday goes by, kitco and coininvests silver inventory is decreasing. fact.

Interesting, so you are in effect selling the spread between kitco and ebay?

What sort of volume do you achieve daily?

OK peeps, what do you make of this?!

kitco now out of eagles, maples and phillies (silver)

YET - to quote them:

In order to reflect the current strong demand for Silver Maples and Silver Eagles, Kitco is temporarily increasing its current bid (buyback) price for these particular products. Please visit our Selling to Kitco page for more details.

does anyone else see irony here