• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Thanks for the input. Maybe I should forget about ISA and just bite the CGT-bullet.

Why not hold Canadian stocks "offshore"?

Gold is getting set to "vault the creek" at $1,000:

It has been "building cause" below $1,000 in preparation,

and this next move will be parabolic -- (and you should do some selling into it !)

28569625ch3.png

Intraday ... update

aa0ns1.gif

GLD may need to touch the MA below $96 one more time before the takeoff.

But whether it does or not, breaking that downtrend line could well be a sign that

the upthrust is starting

I can recommend them, they seem very professional although I suspect the firm is very small, bordering a one (wo)man band.

Hello. And welcome to the new gold thread where we are free of fascist moderators. I have placed an order with them and it should arrive tomorrow so until it arrives I cant recommend them. narco has used them and recommended them though.

Thank you Dr Bubb for letting us come here, it's better without all the noisy detractors. Quality has improved I am learning more.

Before I publicly posted a farewell I PMed several posters. cgnao was one of them. Although, given recent actions, I would not be surprised if most of my PMs had gotten deleted by the Mods before receivers were able to read them.

I was alerted to mine by email and received it, I arrived here a bit later but the posting rate has been so high I seem to be pages back most of the time.

Thanks for the message I have been a member here for a few months so prob would have found it anyway.

Faber is a contrarian bases his research on past historical cycles over many many years he spotted well befor J Rogers (who gets all the credit) that commodities were and still are cheap on a historical basis adjusted for inflation.

An example Potatoes non-inflation adjusted UK farmers recieved £15 for a 25kg bag in 1976 and they were very profitable then.

Since then prices fell and farmers have received £3 a bag for years, it's up to around £6 now, food is still cheap.

If potatoes had risen in price since 1976 at the same rate as UK houses a bag would be £180 now.

Now I know why HPC wanted you lot gone.

You use up too much bandwidth and cost them too much :lol::lol:

No problem with speed here.

Gold approaching $1000 makes the UK mainstream press twice today from what I can see (below). I expected more coverage.

But in both cases, the UK press use the upcoming $1000 marker as a way of attacking PM Brown for selling UK’s gold kitty a few years ago on the cheap. No mention of gold as an investment opportunity.

IMHO $1000 may unavoidably start the media attention phase of the idealized bubble psychology graph. But if newspapers use the $1000 mark as a means of commentating on the state of the economy, rather than touting precious metals as an investment opportunity, then perhaps gold/silver can stay clear of the public enthusiasm phase.

As long as Joe Public see gold/silver as something exclusively to do with bullion dealers and governments, the public enthusiasm stage will not start IMHO. When there are articles in the main sections of papers telling the public how and where to buy, and giving case studies of successful investors (common with property investment for years) it’s a different matter.

Gold is a world market, whats the attitude to gold in the US press?

In the last hours of the old gold thread, I made several posts trying to plead the case that that type of thread could serve as a starting point for people unfamiliar with modern fiat monetary systems and how very new they are: an essential education which could be priceless (I nearly wrote gold-dust :lol: ) for people who are unfamiliar with it - I reckon over half the population.

I think over 99.9% are unfamiliar with fiat monetary systems, they are very hard to understand - hence all the arguements in the other place about Fractional Reserve Banking.

Did'nt Ron Paul say that even members of the treasury committee in the US think the dollar is still backed by gold?

This ignorance make inflation and other monetary frauds easy.

I think over 99.9% are unfamiliar with fiat monetary systems, they are very hard to understand - hence all the arguements in the other place about Fractional Reserve Banking.

Did'nt Ron Paul say that even members of the treasury committee in the US think the dollar is still backed by gold?

This ignorance make inflation and other monetary frauds easy.

I fear that you are closer to mark number-wise; I was being conservative. I have only a rudimentary idea of the concepts. But that alone would help many folk in general.

Was it Ford (of car fame) who said "If the people knew how the money system works, there would be rioting before breakfast"?.

As an Admin issue...

I will probably break this thread into Monthly installments.

I hope there is no objection.

The old ones will get saved in the archives section.

That is the plan anyway

As an Admin issue...

That is the plan anyway

Very sensible, DrBubb, and it will be better for future reference purposes. And thanks for having us!! :)

(And click the ads, folks, to support the site.)

As an Admin issue...

That is the plan anyway

No problem with me,

Would it help if we refrain from too many pictures??

Many rocket pictures are likely to get posted when gold goes over $1,000 :):rolleyes:

No problem with me,

Would it help if we refrain from too many pictures??

Many rocket pictures are likely to get posted when gold goes over $1,000 :):rolleyes:

I guess we get the feel that this is a more serious, investor-style site. When the magic one thousand is breached for the first time a couple of rockets might not go amiss.

Or even some music:

However, I suspect the number will be breached upwards and downwards many a time.

Anyone like to set up a trvial poll for us to compete guessing the magic day? IMO an even more challenging poll would be $1200.

There arent many here who doubt the value of owning gold.

The key thing here is:

+ How do you maximise your returns on Gold and Gold shares ?

= = =

I will be doing some selling over $1,000. Indeed, I have done some light selling of some sprinting gold juniors,

and am reallocating the capital to:

+ Hong Kong property, and

+ Some laggards (amongst the Juniors) that I think still have great potential

In fact, this process means selling almost $100,000 worth of stock per week over the past 2-3 weeks,

and reallocating that capital- It is mostly leaving my stock trading account, and finding its way into

HK property. Despite this rather serious profit taking effort, the NAV of the account has been rising.

How's that for a self-replenishing piggie bank?

I think this effort proves that Gold and Gold share profits CAN be used to fund a property investment

programme. We are now looking for property #10. (If I mentioned this on HPC, I would be rubbished

by all the frustrated and risk-averse wannabee FTBers, who think that this is somehow immoral. The

reality is that it PROVES the effectiveness of the investment ideas that we have long been discussing

here on GEI.)

= = =

CONFIDENTLY BUYING JUNIORS: "Banging up to new highs, and breaking out"

Go and listen to Jim Puplava's discussion with Eric King / 52 mins, in on : this podcast

I cannot figure out what all the whining is about.

The game is working well. See chart:

001dc9.png

We went fully invested in Dec.2007, and have been riding upwards the CDNX since the 2,400 low.

(I am not actually trading the CDNX, but my Junior explorers tend to move with it) and the CDNX

is now up to 2,800-ish despite the sharp falls in SPX.

The break of the downtrend, as seen in the chart above, sure looks as if a new bull thrust has started.

Eric King says "don't go to the chatrooms". He hasnt been here! If he had, he might sound a bit less

depressive, and he could be watching his portfolio banging up to new highs- as some here are doing.

I use my own hosting for pictures, which so far is surviving quite well.

If you want to save DrBubbs bandwidth, get a free Photobucket account.

Anyway, since Wren obviously liked my choice of tune as the goldbugs theme music:

GoldUS_080307.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_lJIjdajBww&feature=related (the original this time)

Added to the GEI-Links page:

Theme songs.... : I Get knocked Down : Goldfinger : Diamonds are Forever : Turn Turn Turn

"Diamonds are Forever" - in honor of patient shareholders in Firestone Diamonds (FDI.L)

FDI chart ... update

bigsy5.gif

Which has recently announced some great results suggesting the possibility that MK1 in Botswana

may potentially be "the world's largest diamond resource"

Enjoy.

Wren,

I'm tempted to email the goldbugs theme to Jim Sinclair. I'm wondering whether it could become the world theme tune for gold.

I don't want to burden him with any more emails though. He was over 1200 the other day I think he said !

DrBubb,

Great stuff. But I have no diamonds :D

Is this a mistake on my part ?! :):rolleyes:

I've gone and done it. So if it appears on Jim's site, you'll know who to blame :)

:rolleyes: Nice one. The main words are perfect.

It's just the "he had a lager drink, he had a cider drink etc...." perhaps aren't quite for the class investor. But then again riding a bull like this you might need one or two....

Speaking of gold...how do those of you with physical insure your stash? I have been told that it can go on the contents insurance of your house (even if you store it elsewhere, such as a vault) however my insurers nearly gagged when I asked them about it. Apparently it's not a common thing...no public frenzy yet then.

I know there aren't many of us (me and Steve?) but I am particularly keen to hear of any NZer's who hold physical and how they protect it 100%.

S

Sylvester,

Are you in NZ then ?

If you're in NZ, then these are possibilities:

Central Vault - Wellington

http://www.centralvault.co.nz/

Prices and sizes: http://www.centralvault.co.nz/boxsizes.php

ASB in Auckland

http://www.customhouse.co.nz/ASBVault.swf

Space Station - Auckland

http://www.spacestationstorage.co.nz

The NZ Mint will also store it for you.

Also the local bank will put it in their safe for a very modest fee. Like NZ$30-$100/year.

In OZ, I know the Perth Mint will store it.

Unless you have a very good safe in your home, I don't see you'd be able to insure anything more than 1x coin !

I know it's difficult knowing who to trust, but IMO it's bad enough having your TV stolen, let alone something valuable :)

And if you use a bank safe, maybe use a different bank to the one you have any money in :rolleyes:

Wren,

Yes, I am a little concerned about some of the wording, but as you say, great words for this market.

Steve

I was just reading this bbc article "Q&A-rising world food prices". It tries to explain the reasons but do you not think that it is deliberately not explaining why they are going up?

It does not mention the fact that investors are switching from financial investments to commodities. Theres no mention of inflation and weak currencies. As you can tell I'm no expert so what are your opinions? Is the BBC deliberately misleading people to prepare them for what is to come? Why do you think commodities are increasing in price at such a rate, and this includes gold? (keeping it on topic)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7276971.stm