I'm looking for help identifying a coin which may or may not be gold. I don't know anything about gold coins or otherwise so maybe someone out there can help. My wife acquired it as part of bargaining for a frame in a shop, there was a box of old coins that the shop owner advised she could take one as part of the purchase of the frame.

This is it;

coin.png

It's a mystery so far. Our coin says PVA 736 whereas the outstanding auctioneer's example says PVA 699.

This is from

The Coins of Colonial America:

Passageperuvian.png

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

what's the weight? To me, the regions of high wear look a little different in colour, but that might be the photo..

I am no expert, but i'd grade that at 'Fine' if it were real; may knock 70-90% off the value of the very high spec coin at Baldwins.

Still, if it turns out to be real your wife chose well.

PS: my guess would be that, to look at it, it's a fake. But, I'm no expert.

They are slightly lighter, which I'm guessing wouldn't happen with a real one?

hmm.. lighter colour is not a good sign, I think.

The weight in itself should also be a bit of a giveaway, BUT if you really want to test it you could do a specific gravity test. The real coins are 22ct I think, so the density should be close to 17-19g / cm**3.

http://video.mit.edu/watch/is-that-really-gold-archimedes-and-density-10968/

Gold set for biggest weekly loss

Saturday, October 13, 2012

http://www.dailytime...-10-2012_pg5_23

...LONDON: Gold eased on Friday, set for its biggest weekly loss in two months, but prices were still in sight of recent 11-month highs as wider markets sought clarity on when and whether Spain would request a bailout to shore up its finances.

Both gold and silver looking due some consolidation:

goldride.png

silver-10.png

http://www.zealllc.c...1/goldseas6.htm

Check the seasonality chart.

Gold has followed the pattern almost day for day. According to the seasonal pattern, next week will be the low, although it won't be until November until $1800 is broken.

Yes, pretty much agree with that. I'm just looking for a short sharp correction from the recent peak, of say a month, before the seasonal pattern sets in.

Surprise question at the Presidential debate - 'Has the Fed sold all its gold?'

Wednesday, 17 October, 2012

=====

I spent yesterday going through the recent World Gold Council data on central bank purchases over last 12 months. The numbers are staggering and it’s the new buyers that are the surprise. Take Turkey - in the last 12 months (July ’11 – July ’12) they have bought up exactly 100 tonnes of gold. To put that in perspective that is about the same as what the gold industry will add each year for the next 4 years from the 56 greenfield gold projects and 70 brownfield expansions that are currently under construction around the world. Even Mozambique is joining the action and is now the 3rd Central bank in Africa out of their 56 to own gold. If you annualize the first half purchases of these 10 countries they could account for 370 tonnes of demand this year. So far China has net imports of 302 tonnes up to August. In this chart we take out China to show you what the next 10 big buyers look like. Who would have thought the Philippines would buy 35.3 tonnes in the 1st half of 2012 (Philippines now has 92 times more gold than Hong Kong).

It really makes you wonder, where is all this physical gold coming from when the industry can only deliver around 100 tonnes of extra gold a year while Central bank buying is now running at around 600-800 tonnes this year. You have probably seen Eric Sprott’s recent article called Do Western Central Banks Have Any Gold Left. Of course he is biased running one of the largest gold funds in the world but it’s an interesting read.

Ten Biggest buyers of Gold in last 12 Months (ex China)

goldbuyers.jpg

Surprise question at the Presidential debate - 'Has the Fed sold all its gold?'

Wednesday, 17 October, 2012

=====

I spent yesterday going through the recent World Gold Council data on central bank purchases over last 12 months. The numbers are staggering and it’s the new buyers that are the surprise. Take Turkey - in the last 12 months (July ’11 – July ’12) they have bought up exactly 100 tonnes of gold. To put that in perspective that is about the same as what the gold industry will add each year for the next 4 years from the 56 greenfield gold projects and 70 brownfield expansions that are currently under construction around the world. Even Mozambique is joining the action and is now the 3rd Central bank in Africa out of their 56 to own gold. If you annualize the first half purchases of these 10 countries they could account for 370 tonnes of demand this year. So far China has net imports of 302 tonnes up to August. In this chart we take out China to show you what the next 10 big buyers look like. Who would have thought the Philippines would buy 35.3 tonnes in the 1st half of 2012 (Philippines now has 92 times more gold than Hong Kong).

It really makes you wonder, where is all this physical gold coming from when the industry can only deliver around 100 tonnes of extra gold a year while Central bank buying is now running at around 600-800 tonnes this year. You have probably seen Eric Sprott’s recent article called Do Western Central Banks Have Any Gold Left. Of course he is biased running one of the largest gold funds in the world but it’s an interesting read.

Ten Biggest buyers of Gold in last 12 Months (ex China)

goldbuyers.jpg

I have to admit that the above list of country's has shocked me.

I have to admit that the above list of country's has shocked me.

Me, too. One has to wonder at the logic back around the early noughties and the "Brown's bottom", when the western central banks were making concerted efforts to sell gold. Now none of them are buyers (as far as i know). Were they selling tungsten filled gold also as a concerted effort? How could they have made such a woeful error? Maybe when the western banks buy again, that will precede the top of the market (extension of the same logic).

Who was buying, I wonder, when the big central banks were selling?

Who was buying, I wonder, when the big central banks were selling?

Well-informed elites, who saw the Gold price upswing coming, and were operating on a long term time horizon

"I have to admit that the above list of country's has shocked me."

The BRICS and other non G10 countries may indeed be planning a new currency, as Ben Fulford has written

Well-informed elites, who saw the Gold price upswing coming, and were operating on a long term time horizon

Well, thanks to you and a few good links in 2003/4, I was also buying.

Are these "well informed elites", so more well informed than the western CB's?

"I have to admit that the above list of country's has shocked me."

The BRICS and other non G10 countries may indeed be planning a new currency, as Ben Fulford has written

Nothing wrong with that.

It may be one of the few safe places to hide, depending how the Redesign of the Global currency goes.

I am looking at this very, very carefully - it may prove to be a vital matter for us all:

Sound Money, and the Redesign of Our Global Currency:

http://www.greenener...showtopic=16879

I strongly recommend that you listen to the Project Camelot interview with the Insider

From DrB's Diary

55d SUPPORT for GLD/ Gold - We touched it

Will it hold? We should find out next week.

If not, the 76d MA is right below it.

GLD ... update : 6mos

32763771.gif

Note that GLD went back to the bottom of a GAP, that last inspired a big jump in price, on big volume

METALS OUTLOOK: Gold's Weakness Could Continue Next Week

19 October 2012

In the Kitco News Gold Survey, out of 33 participants, 24 responded this week. Of those 24 participants, six see prices up, while 13 see prices down, and five are neutral or see prices moving sideways. Market participants include bullion dealers, investment banks, futures traders, money managers and technical-chart analysts.

Gold prices fell this week as some market participants became disenchanted by the yellow metal’s inability to take out the $1,800 level. In recent weeks the metal saw a lot of buying interest in anticipation and confirmation of a third round of quantitative easing, but there wasn’t enough momentum to push it through the psychological ceiling of $1,800. Coupled with improved U.S. economic data, some market participants began to question future U.S. quantitative easing expectations, analysts said.

Further, several industry watchers said with three weeks to go before the U.S. presidential election there’s a bit of hesitancy to put on positions until afterward.

Frank Lesh, futures broker at FuturePath Trading explained gold’s recent downward move.

“Gold is still suffering from long liquidation as traders lock in profits from the $200 move we have had since August. The dollar has found support and is turning higher with the euro hitting resistance and now turning lower,” Lesh said.

Friday’s close under $1,729 made it the lowest close in a month and Lesh said because of it, he forecasts gold testing how strong of support there is at $1,700.

“The fact that we could not exceed last week’s high of $1,759 … is also negative. Comex gold stocks are the highest since March. A large shift in sentiment for gold is the loss in perception of safety,” Lesh said.

/more: http://www.kitco.com/reports/KitcoNews20121019DeC_outlook.html

$1,900 Gold - At the Crossroads

Monday October 15, 2012 11:02

richard_20121015.jpg

Figure 1 – Oil Volatility Relative to Gold & Recent Gold Highs

Oil volatility, or vol, relative to gold is shown by the gray squares and lines. Superimposed on this plot for comparison is a scaled Comex gold price history in yellow diamonds with its one-month moving average in dashed black lines. On Oct. 4 gold made its latest high 2.8 months after the 4.50 times super-spike as volatility descended below parity at 0.87 times (green box and arrow). Price has since trended down and bearishly crossed below its one-month average (red ellipse) as volatility now appears to be leveling out at the 0.74 times level (green ellipse). If vol reverses to the upside from here, history suggests the rally is over. On the other hand, a further decline in vol may indicate that gold is only pausing as it awaits new impetus for the next leg up.

My last commentary suggested that gold was on track to reach $1,900 per ounce by mid-November (large yellow diamond in Figure 1) if vol does continue to fall and the value of the yellow metal maintains its favorable relation with global commodities oil and copper and companion metal silver (Ref 2). As measured by my Eureka Miner’s Gold Value Index© (GVI), an aggregate value based on all three commodities, gold still meets two conditions for higher-highs:

1. Gold value will be historically high relative to commodities copper, oil and silver – The Friday GVI was an elevated 98.82; the “high-value” benchmark is 100

2. Gold value will be above the six-year trend line relative to these same three commodities – The Friday GVI is above the 6-year trend; 98.82 versus 98.48

The $1,900 per ounce prediction was based on exponential fits of previous benchmark records that occurred after oil/gold super-spikes.

/more: http://www.kitco.com/ind/RichardBaker/20121015.html

This sorts of articles are so funny.

They say: "prepare for a pullback, when the pullback is already well underway ... and may be nearly over."

What use is that. GEI was saying "prepare for the pullback" when it was about to start, now we are getting set for the upturn.

Gold: Still Long Term Bullish, But Prepare for a Pullback

picture-248.jpg

BY SY HARDING10/19

After experiencing a remarkable bull market run from $250 an ounce in 2001 to $1,900 an ounce last summer, gold has not.

/more: http://www.financial...re-for-pullback

Read it, because the upturn is not guaranteed, even though I am expecting it.

Sentiment is "too bullish" he says, and "may need cooling."

This sorts of articles are so funny.

They say: "prepare for a pullback, when the pullback is already well underway ... and may be nearly over."

What use is that. GEI was saying "prepare for the pullback" when it was about to start, now we are getting set for the upturn.

Gold: Still Long Term Bullish, But Prepare for a Pullback

picture-248.jpg

BY SY HARDING10/19

After experiencing a remarkable bull market run from $250 an ounce in 2001 to $1,900 an ounce last summer, gold has not.

/more: http://www.financial...re-for-pullback

Read it, because the upturn is not guaranteed, even though I am expecting it.

Sentiment is "too bullish" he says, and "may need cooling."

I guess it comes down to the time-frame thing, and his call for a very short term pull-back looks good. His longer term bullish chart also looks good. It seems that the simplist charts, with the simplist trend lines, do all the talking these days.

simple.png

Looking at the cup pattern that is forming, the initial corrections and recoveries are deep and steep. The last correction and recovery was shallower with a building equilibrium between selling and buying, and therefore is predictably the base of the cup. The bottom is in. This current correction should slowly grind down to meet the trend line coming off the base, so will in probability only go as low as around 1650. From there, steady buying pressure will form the upwards side of the cup leading to new highs.