I am of the strongest opinion the bottom is in unless we see more manipulation. These smack downs are not liquidity sell offs. Gerald Cenlente says the crash is coming this month.

It seems to be very stubborn in its refusal to drop even the slightest cent below $1600. I think the recent prices have become fixed in the minds of many, with an eye onto eventually approaching and passing $2000, that anywhere around the low $1600s seems to find buyers (price sentiment). I think the manipulation has failed, but there may still be drops if there is an enormous brief flight to dollars when Greece defaults, the stock markets bottom out, there is a general European-wide run on banks... But even if you bought at the peak, say at $1900, you are still better off, because that way you got something (gold) for nothing (fiat money). In fact, I would say fiat money is actually less than nothing, because of the commission collected by the central bank...

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gamblers never do remember their losses. How many times has Tom O'Brien sold all his gold since we hit $1200?

If Tom Is a gambler, he has quite a good system/

It seems to be very stubborn in its refusal to drop even the slightest cent below $1600.

Look, if you were the Chinese government and you were sitting on $3 Trillions of useless crappola, you'd have an unlimited buy order at $1,600 too. :)

Look, if you were the Chinese government and you were sitting on $3 Trillions of useless crappola, you'd have an unlimited buy order at $1,600 too. :)

Yes, thank goodness for the rise of the east, and the gold-loving Chinese and Indians!

Historically, were the Chinese not on a silver standard? I know the Chinese have long memories, and wonder if this might be their metal of choice when, after they have caught up with the USA in military terms (20-30 years' time), they launch a parallel metal-backed form of currency?

Historically, were the Chinese not on a silver standard? I know the Chinese have long memories, and wonder if this might be their metal of choice when, after they have caught up with the USA in military terms (20-30 years' time), they launch a parallel metal-backed form of currency?

Call me Silverfinger! ;)

Or does anyone suggest we are not going to see $1900 ever again in the future??

Only if the policy-makers decided to permit a years-long debt-deflation and all of the attendant problems: economic contraction, bankruptcies, unemployment, crime, riots, falling government revenue, and perpetual electoral losses for political incumbents.

Gold futures log chart

Screenshot2011-10-05at203928.png

This is gold futures covering 12 months shown within a linear regression trend channel, it's not drawn by me, it's calculated automatically. I've set the regression channel to show the median line, the outermost lines of the channel represent 3 standard deviations from the mean, and the ones inside are 2 standard deviations from the mean. Money Flow Index (MFI) is beneath the chart in dark grey. MFI recently formed a low on 29th September.

The first and second time this indicator bottomed, it marked some form of low in gold. (Blue vertical dashed lines)

Interestingly, you can also see that the price level gold was at, when MFI was at a low, also marked a key support level in gold, with gold trading back down to the same price level later on, then rallying further. (Horizontal blue lines).

What I also find quite interesting is that, on the 2nd and 3rd occasions when the MFI was at a low, the lower 3rd standard deviation line was at the exact price level where MFI made a low previously. (Grey dots show the intersection between the 3rd standard deviation line and previous MFI low gold price)

That may just be a co-incidence and/or confirmation of the strength of the trend.

It seems unlikely but if that relationship were to continue, then gold would rally somewhat from here, before trading down to $1575 by 8th December 2011.

I bought gold earlier today, without having looked at any of this previously.

This next chart is a proprietary indicator I developed, working on GDX (Gold Miners ETF).

GDX.png

It may look slightly cryptic but it has generated a buy signal for GDX today, previously my indicator signals on GDX have worked well.

Trendlines added to that chart...

CDNXtoGold.png.jpg

Ratio to SPX:

back testing key support

CdnxSpx1b.png.jpg

thread: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=15413

BOE QE to the tune of £75,000,000,000 and gold moves £14/t.oz and now it's only up £3/t.oz since the announcement... WTF! Why hasn't gold reacted to a drop in Sterling? BTW - I don't accept "It was already priced in" as an answer...

That's a good question warpig.

PositiveDeviant that is an excellent chart, thank you for posting. As one who wanted to buy juniors but was too scared in 2008, that is the kind of kick in the pants that I require.

BOE QE to the tune of £75,000,000,000 and gold moves £14/t.oz and now it's only up £3/t.oz since the announcement... WTF! Why hasn't gold reacted to a drop in Sterling? BTW - I don't accept "It was already priced in" as an answer...

someone must have been selling

LCH.Clearnet to accept gold as collateral

Now, thanks to LCH.Clearnet’s move to accept gold as collateral by the end of October investors will be able to take any leveraged stock position (or range of other OTC market positions) for gold.

The gold collateral evolution is seemingly unstoppable.

One day, as they point out, it might even lead to “Tier 1 capital for gold”.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2011/10/06/694891/lch-clearnet-to-accept-gold-as-collateral/

I've put another 25% of my silver profits into gold today - it seems to be holding up well around this $1600 level.

Personally I would have put those paper profits into physical silver, with the gold silver ratio where it is. I recently swapped some physical gold for silver @ 57 on the GSR, I am expecting to be swapping some of it back around the end of the year at hopefully below 40.

Here's a good article which explains some of the shortages of supply that are building in silver currently. Goldmoney seems about the only place you can buy physical at near spot currently.

Physical silver running out because its spot price does not reflect true investment demand

By: Peter Cooper, Arabian Money | Posted 6 October, 2011

Several readers of ArabianMoney have written to us over the past two weeks to express their astonishment at the current price of silver because demand where they live is so high that stocks have run out.

Consider this comment: 'I used to buy silver from a shop in Kobar in Saudi. From the last four weeks they said they ran out of silver. I cannot find anyone who sells silver in Saudi now. I asked them from where do they get their silver. They said the UAE. The problem is they only have 1kg bars…and I still cannot find any supplier.'

No stock

Well don't bother coming to the UAE. Our information is that the 1kg bars mentioned here and featured in a video on the website last month (click here) are all sold out too. We've also had feedback about low or no stock in Texas and Australia from big private bullion dealers there.

Now what would normally happen when a commodity is in short supply is that the price would go up to encourage sellers to put some more into the market. That is presently not happening because the silver price is being artificially suppressed in the Comex futures market by the bullion banks acting on instructions from the Fed presumably, so why would you sell that silver cheaply if you happened to own some?

But something has to give and it is the price of physical silver rather than the Comex price of the shiniest of metals. If you can find any silver these days you will pay quite a substantial premium over the spot price. But pay it because that is probably still a bargain compared to where silver prices are going.

The truth is that silver is a rare metal, more rare than gold. Silver reserves have been estimatated at one-hundredth of gold reserves. Silver is after all consumed by industrial processes and reserves have dwindled over the years because the price has been kept so low for so long by market manipulation. Why is that?...

Personally I would have put those paper profits into physical silver, with the gold silver ratio where it is. I recently swapped some physical gold for silver @ 57 on the GSR, I am expecting to be swapping some of it back around the end of the year at hopefully below 40.

Here's a good article which explains some of the shortages of supply that are building in silver currently. Goldmoney seems about the only place you can buy physical at near spot currently.

Physical silver running out because its spot price does not reflect true investment demand

By: Peter Cooper, Arabian Money | Posted 6 October, 2011

I recently ordered some physical silver coins from coininvest. There was a lag. They confirmed receipt of my payment on the 29th September and only confirmed shipment on the 4th October. It arrived yesterday.

But given some of the news of silver shortages on some of the blogs, I thought this was a reasonable time.

COMPARISON == : ( HPC ) / ( GEI )

Alexa Traffic Rank : 21,725 : 296,911

Traffic Rank in GB : ==753 : =30,077

Sites Linking In .. : ==318 : === 53

HPC has 138 Reviews (ave. 3.5 stars) : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/housepricecrash.co.uk#

COMPARISON == : ( HPC ) / ( GEI )

Alexa Traffic Rank : 27,303 : 186,889

Traffic Rank in GB : ==909 : = 9,150

Sites Linking In .. : ==456 : === 83

HPC has 138 Reviews (ave. 3.5 stars)

GEI has 003 Reviews (ave. 5.0 stars)

GEI is gaining on HPC, if only slowly, as HPC fades a bit

THANKS FOR THE POSTS, everyone !

The Hidden Meanings in the New $100 Bill!

Bix Weir

http://www.roadtoroota.com/public/261.cfm

261a.jpg

First of all, I must admit that I am one of those "Conspiracy Nuts" who loves to read meaning into the back of the US $1 bill like I'm trying to solve a centuries old puzzle. The "All Seeing Eye", the pyramid, "One World Government", Masonic symbols, the implications of the Latin words, even the words "In God We Trust" added in 1955...all of it...I'm a big fan of secret meaning. Just Google "US Dollar Hidden Meaning" and you will find almost EVERY INTERPRETATION you can imagine. Since I don't know which is true...I tend to believe ALL OF THEM. More fun that way. If you think this is all hogwash and there is no meaning to the back of the $1 bill..."Duh, it's just a nice picture"...then this article is not for you.

I found this article interesting and would like to read the opinions of others. It appears to me that Gold and Silver are in an artificial holding pattern pending an event of some magnitude.

JL

The Hidden Meanings in the New $100 Bill!

Bix Weir

http://www.roadtoroota.com/public/261.cfm

261a.jpg

I found this article interesting and would like to read the opinions of others. It appears to me that Gold and Silver are in an artificial holding pattern pending an event of some magnitude.

JL

That's interesting, and I agree that there is often symbolism in bank notes, but this is usually arcane Masonic stuff, no? Why would the US government put simplistic 'clues' on their new notes about returning to the gold standard? Perhaps it's more about taking the p!ss and thumbing their nose at those who want to see an end to fiat/return to gold? As in, "look, we can just print newer, shinier, more hi-tech money!" :D