ZH is highlighting a possible bank implosion side effect:

For a just as big problem we shift our attention to the next worst bank in America, Citigroup, which as the excerpt below demonstrates, was a bragging point in the firm's January 2011 letter. Alas, there is little to brag about these days. Which is why we wish to caution investors to be vary careful with liquidation-like selloffs in gold. Should D-Day strike at Paulson, the firm's multi-billion GLD "gold share class" will likely have to be sold very fast to preserve liquidity. When that happens we may see a 20-30% correction in gold in one day. This is just a theoretical warning, and we hope to have some sense of when, if at all, it would take place.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/bank-america-just-start-paulsons-problems-behold-citigroup

Having just had the official Euro-Confetti helicopter fly by showering us with the stuff I would not be too impressed if it returned & demanded the stuff back. Though I'd like to see it land :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There is definitely a real business opportunity to set up in competition against the uk dealers,Bairds for example, they were operating the same buy to sell spread percentage wise when gold was a third to half its current value i.e. 8% on gold at £400.oo an oz profit a few years ago v profit at 8% when gold is £1050.00 an ounce same deal but with over twice as much profit for the dealer! :blink:

I wonder how long it will be before physical price is at premium to spot/futures/options/paper gold? ;)

That’s the real question when people realize fiat paper cash is worth very little as is a paper IOU GOLD? :(

Regards

ML

Your Joking,i am still buying at am or pm fix on sovereigns,its like everything you need to know where to go and its all about who you know.Hockley Birmingham the UK's largest gold centre BY FAR has several dealers who are working on 1-1.5-2% above am or pm fix.ANYBODY BUYING FROM ATS, CHARD's or BAIRD's have not done their homework.Probably a few years ago now, on this thread i told people were to go to get metal at fix or just over.The Market is FEROCIOUSLY competitive.

I managed to acquire some physical metal today from my PREFERED supplier but no where near enough to complete my order.

Fitkid, --------------------------------------------------- ;)

Now have a HUG :)

Edited by LauraB

Fitkid, will please turn on your PM facility or I will publicly shred your attempts at typing English every time it annoys me until Bubb shuts me down!!! - Thank you!

Now have a HUG :)

LB my pm facility is on, at least as far as i know i had a few PM's the other day.

LB my pm facility is on, at least as far as i know i had a few PM's the other day.

Hmm, works now. The other day I was being told it was not. Humble apologies. You may wish to edit?

The Gold and Platinum price are swapping place currently, gold was actually $4 more expensive an ounce than Pt 10 mins ago. Thinking about swapping some of my gold to platinum via GM and am wondering what others thoughts are?

My thinking is that the last time that gold and platinum were the same price was in the depths of the crash in '08, gold is showing strength as it is the stable go too asset, where as Pt is being sold down as an industrial metal. IMO this can't last as Pt is far more precious than gold and maybe a good opportunity to swap.

The Gold and Platinum price are swapping place currently, gold was actually $4 more expensive an ounce than Pt 10 mins ago. Thinking about swapping some of my gold to platinum via GM and am wondering what others thoughts are?

My thinking is that the last time that gold and platinum were the same price was in the depths of the crash in '08, gold is showing strength as it is the stable go too asset, where as Pt is being sold down as an industrial metal. IMO this can't last as Pt is far more precious than gold and maybe a good opportunity to swap.

SIR PIXEL8R i was just about to post this chart showing the anomaly on platinum scrap price it has been under 22k Au price for scrap for weeks.Any ideas why platinum is scrapping lower than even 22 k Au.?

http://www.cooksongold.com/metalprices/

Metal Date GBP / Unit GBP / oz USD / oz EURO / oz

Silver (AG) Mon 08 Aug 2011 780.62 KG 24.28 39.86 27.958

Gold (AU) Mon 08 Aug 2011 AM 33.467 GM 1040.944 1709.75 1195.211

Gold (AU) Mon 08 Aug 2011 PM 33.295 GM 1035.601 1693.0 1194.104

Iridium (IR) Mon 08 Aug 2011 20.737 GM 645.0 1050.0 743.72

Palladium (PD) Mon 08 Aug 2011 14.431 GM 448.85 733.0 517.3

Platinum (PT) Mon 08 Aug 2011 33.962 GM 1056.35 1725.0 1217.35

Rhodium (RH) Mon 08 Aug 2011 37.038 GM 1152.0 1875.0 1328.318

Ruthenium (RU) Mon 08 Aug 2011 3.456 GM 107.5 175.0 123.953

Scrap Metal Date GBP / Unit GBP / oz USD / oz EURO / oz

9ct Gold Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 12.111 GM 376.7 615.829 434.355

14ct Gold Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 18.893 GM 587.652 960.693 677.594

18ct Gold Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 24.222 GM 753.4 1231.658 868.711

22ct Gold Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 29.583 GM 920.152 1504.264 1060.985

Platinum Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 24.763 GM 770.211 1257.741 887.6

Silver Scrap Mon 08 Aug 2011 642.645 KG 19.989 32.815 23.016

Very good point. However, Pd has been plumbing even lower depths recently.

http://www.markt-daten.de/charts/rohstoffe/images/au-pt-ratio.gif

au-pt-ratio.gif

http://www.markt-daten.de/charts/rohstoffe/images/gold-platin-ratio.gif

gold-platin-ratio.gif

http://www.markt-daten.de/charts/rohstoffe/images/pt-pd-ratio.gif

pt-pd-ratio.gif

http://www.markt-daten.de/charts/rohstoffe/images/platin-palladium-ratio.gif

platin-palladium-ratio.gif

SIR PIXEL8R i was just about to post this chart showing the anomaly on platinum scrap price it has been under 22k Au price for scrap for weeks.Any ideas why platinum is scrapping lower than even 22 k Au.?

Wow thats a big difference, well spotted. Sorry but I have no I idea why that could be, other than there is a lot of scrap Platinum coming onto the market currently. Maybe a lot of old cars are being scrapped?

Very good point. However, Pd has been plumbing even lower depths recently.

http://www.markt-dat...latin-ratio.gif

gold-platin-ratio.gif

Thanks for these charts GF, the one above is giving me second thoughts on my swap currently. Look at the Au/Pt ratio in 1980, looks at about 1.5 to me. blink.gif

Well, there are riots on the streets of Britain, equity markets tanking and a run on physical gold. It's almost unreal. When you've have quiet conversations with close friends and family about what the future holds, it's eerie to see it happening. Not enjoyable to have to call your sister and ask if she's OK.

No-one here hasn't been watching gold today, but here it is anyway for posterity:

goldgbp080811.png

Pray for a correction. Pray.

I'd like it to drop back several hundred dollars - then a pause to consolidate before the drive to $2000+.

Give up on that one now it looks like it is going to run and run.Even if they do launch some outlandish propoganda to spin the sheeple i dont see it effecting PHYSICAL METAL much............ITS STARTED.

CONmex might make cheap paper but who in their RIGHT mind wants that SH*T.

Everything is crashing... All the indexes around the world - HANG SENG INDEX - 7.71% + gold at $1,742/t.oz. BBC keep saying the only winner is gold.

I think QE3 could accelerate the decline.

Gold up $80/t.oz or £56/t.oz since the weekend! [and still rising...] :blink:

The economic commentators are all saying the same in that they are undervalued, but its still bloody frustrating!

Difference between the two is gold is a form of liquidity.... gold stocks, investment. The story of gold stocks being a leverage on gold is not so straight forward. Doesn't mean to say that they might not perform in the end.... but that there is a further element of risk/ investment involved with stocks over and above gold itself. Makes sense to first have a solid core in gold, and then decide whether or not you wanted to branch out into stocks etc.

Difference between the two is gold is a form of liquidity.... gold stocks, investment. The old story of gold stocks being a leverage on gold is not so straight forward. Doesn't mean to say that they might not perform in the end.... but that there is a further element of risk involved with stocks over and above gold itself. Makes sense to first have a solid core in gold, and then decide whether or not you wanted to branch out into stocks etc.

The way i invested was to have a core in gold stocks and a lesser amount in bullion. When i bought the bullion in 2007, the physical was lagging the stocks by a fair amount. That has now reversed.

Warpig is right in that the stocks will have their day again but it is just soul destroying to see these big moves in physical and seeing no movement in the stocks at all.

Dont get me wrong, my gold stocks are showing a healthy profit so i have no reason to complain

The way i invested was to have a core in gold stocks and a lesser amount in bullion. When i bought the bullion in 2007, the physical was lagging the stocks by a fair amount. That has now reversed.

Warpig is right in that the stocks will have their day again but it is just soul destroying to see these big moves in physical and seeing no movement in the stocks at all.

Dont get me wrong, my gold stocks are showing a healthy profit so i have no reason to complain

PROFITS IN WHAT BL**dy paper.

YOU NEED PHYSICAL METAL AND COUNT YOUR OUNCES NOT PAPER PROFITS.

Look at what is happening mad max beyond the thunderdome looks like a childrens bedtime story now.