• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Yes, but that is where your gold is kept in 'safe' custody not an actual contract to deliver a gold coin.

You can have either a 100 gram or 1 kilo bar delivered at any point though.

What I wonder is, if Gold does go to $10,000 an ounce, how will people with gold be better off? What can a normal person realistically do with gold other than wait until things normalise again and then sell it for the new currency that comes in?

You will be able to use your gold to trade for things that you need, gold is money. This was shown in the recent crisis in Greece, when a black-market started in sovereigns. I have recently used the GM payment system on four occasions to buy goods, I hope that it will become more widely accepted in the future.

Looking a little toppy here. Wouldn't be surprised to see it consolidate around these levels for a bit.

jj.gif

Just to remind everyone that RH often gets things completely arse about face. laugh.gif

Just to remind everyone that RH often gets things completely arse about face. laugh.gif

And just to remind you that this was also posted here just a couple of days earlier:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=2874&view=findpost&p=222159

i think the rockets are reserved for the big spikes these days. Maybe they'll come out on a spike to 1800 or so... could well then fizzle as the price consolidates around there for another six odd months.

It's a fool's game to predict with certainty the very immediate direction the price of gold will take. The trend is clear though, which puts the immediate moves, whichever way, in context.

Even if gold spiked to 1800 here and then consolidated.... that would still be within "these levels", with the trend in mind,and makes your comment look a bit silly and premature.

Interesting article here...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/8678682/Gold-to-hit-2000-before-year-end.html

The more mainstream gold seems to get, the more contrarian I feel. That said, it doesn't yet feel like "madness of crowds": Maybe I should wait until Kirsty & Phil are hawking some wanky gold part-ownership timeshare before calling time and hitting the sell button...

From the Main HPC thread

"There you are then son, now is the time to buy."

"But Dad, I can't afford a house because I haven't got enough gold/money or money/gold to buy one?"

This points out the big LIE here:

People say: "Gold is a hedge for inflation."

It isn't. Gold prices have run far ahead of inflation. You can buy a much better "Man's suit" with an ounce of gold now, than you could 3-5 years ago.

And since if ran ahead of inflation, it can fall back too, even if inflation rises.

It is tough to buy gold, since monetary policy has robbed people of a return on their savings, and that is why money has flowed into gold.

This points out the big LIE here:

People say: "Gold is a hedge for inflation."

:rolleyes:

Long term and on average, just like a piece of farm land should be a good inflation hedge long term. Medium term, you have to be in the right thing to ride the cycles in the right direction. At the moment, the cycle for gold is up. It might stay up for another 5 to 10 years, who knows. We simply have to watch the indicators.

Just so people understand: The chart on the gold-debt relationship three posts earlier means that gold would have to trade at $31,183 an ounce today to make it as expensive (in terms of external U.S. debt) as back at the peak in January 1980. This is the Sinclair model, but without his new Chinese boogie-woogie adjustment.

PHYSICAL METAL PRICES AND PHYSICAL AVAILABILITY

08/08/2011

SOVEREIGNS (full)£ KRUGERS (full)£ 1KG BAR (fine)£ AVAILABILITY

CHARDS buy 235.00 998.00 30,100.00 NO STOCK VERY HIGH DEMAND 2-3 month wait.

sell 270.00 1103.00 34,449.00

ATS buy PHONE ENGAGED FOR OVER 2 HOURS??????????

sell

BAIRDS buy 239.00 1030.00 32,750.00 VERY HIGH DEMAND,SOVS AND KG BAR's IN

sell 260.00 1100.00 34,200.00 STOCK VERY LOW STOCK ON KRUGER's

CREWE PAWNBROKERS buy NO STOCK

sell No STOCK

HATTON GARDEN METALS buy 240.52 1030.50 31,960.96 NO STOCK ON ANYTHING

sell 252.79 1060.72 34,803.61

LOIS GOLD HOCKLEY buy spot on clean sovs spot on krugers ? NO STOCK ON ANYTHING.SHOULD BE MORE NEXT

sell 2% above fix """"""""" """"""" WEEK.ORDERS COMING OUT OF EARS.

FOR THOSE WITH EYES TO SEE and EARS TO HEAR.The physical market is struggling to supply the demand.Unprecedented levels of orders causing major problems.

GOT PHYSICAL GOLD?

IF YOU HAVE NOT YOU WILL STRUGGLE.!!!!!!!!!!

Finaly go through to ATS they have NO STOCK on any sovs krugers or kg bars.Unprecedented demand customers queing up to buy any metal available.

"PHYSICAL GOLD WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE"......WHERE DID I READ THAT ONE..... OH YEAH CGNAO and FOFOA.

BUT STILL PEOPLE PLAY WITH THEIR PAPER PROMISES/INSTRUMENTS. :rolleyes:

Finaly go through to ATS they have NO STOCK on any sovs krugers or kg bars.Unprecedented demand customers queing up to buy any metal available.

"PHYSICAL GOLD WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE"......WHERE DID I READ THAT ONE..... OH YEAH CGNAO and FOFOA.

BUT STILL PEOPLE PLAY WITH THEIR PAPER PROMISES/INSTRUMENTS. :rolleyes:

That could also be due to their greedy spreads. They offer a very low price to buy back so why would you want to sell to them? They are not the cheapest either when buying. Sandra is nice but they also have a right dipstick working there....Im going to ring them... OK kilo of gold £34,500 £32,500 to buy from the dipstick himself...

CID £33,825 to buy £33,240.

That could also be due to their greedy spreads. They offer a very low price to buy back so why would you want to sell to them? They are not the cheapest either when buying. Sandra is nice but they also have a right dipstick working there....Im going to ring them...

Please refer to my earlier posts for a fuller picture of physical availability,i would not deal with any of the ones i posted except hatton or lois or crewe but they are all in the same boat only Bairds had metal to sell but are like ATS and chards very pricey.

The REAL big news is that EVEN at RECORD highs they have not got metal to sell,people are obviously holding now and not selling,even record highs have not brought the physical sellers out to offload PHYSICAL METAL.

Please refer to my earlier posts for a fuller picture of physical availability,i would not deal with any of the ones i posted except hatton or lois or crewe but they are all in the same boat only Bairds had metal to sell but are like ATS and chards very pricey.

The REAL big news is that EVEN at RECORD highs they have not got metal to sell,people are obviously holding now and not selling,even record highs have not brought the physical sellers out to offload PHYSICAL METAL.

I would be buying silver here, or even platinum if the VAT could be avoided. I dont have that much cash at the moment but if they manage to knock the silver price back big time, I will be buying some coins from CID.

I would be buying silver here, or even platinum if the VAT could be avoided. I dont have that much cash at the moment but if they manage to knock the silver price back big time, I will be buying some coins from CID.

That VAT malarkey is a bit of a bitch. Still, I tested the metal for sale in London today and got some no problem. I just hope my VAT is used for some good, free school luches or something.

That could also be due to their greedy spreads. They offer a very low price to buy back so why would you want to sell to them? They are not the cheapest either when buying. Sandra is nice but they also have a right dipstick working there....Im going to ring them... OK kilo of gold £34,500 £32,500 to buy from the dipstick himself...

CID £33,825 to buy £33,240.

There is definitely a real business opportunity to set up in competition against the uk dealers,Bairds for example, they were operating the same buy to sell spread percentage wise when gold was a third to half its current value i.e. 8% on gold at £400.oo an oz profit a few years ago v profit at 8% when gold is £1050.00 an ounce same deal but with over twice as much profit for the dealer! :blink:

I wonder how long it will be before physical price is at premium to spot/futures/options/paper gold? ;)

That’s the real question when people realize fiat paper cash is worth very little as is a paper IOU GOLD? :(

Regards

ML