• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gentlemen, my apologies for drifting away from the main focus of this thread but I think the great contrarian may have inadvertently stumbled across the reason for his aversion to gold!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=156973

Gentlemen, my apologies for drifting away from the main focus of this thread but I think the great contrarian may have inadvertently stumbled across the reason for his aversion to gold!

His contributions are priceless though, don't you agree?

Literally worth his weight in gold......

Nick

An abstraction. The world of markets and economies are "ruled" by the vagaries of human nature [not philosophy, ideology, or science].

Losing sight of this can lead to all sorts of deterministic errors... such as assuming prices will move mechanically one way.

An internet forum should be a space for thought, not edification. Philosophy is just thought, and teaches people to doubt bad thinking and bad faith. Most people seem to want to believe today rather than exercize critical and rational thought. I think laziness may be involved here.

Your post sums up Goldfingers point perfectly. Well done!

Your post sums up Goldfingers point perfectly. Well done!

You've obviously missed my point then. Shall I spell it out.

What seems to have come into disrepute today, namely, philosophy [or what some derisively call waffling] is no more than human thought. It's also been termed enlightened scepticism, which sees through all the pretensions and figments of that species of the imagination known as the intellect. The "laws of nature", that supposedly rule our world, are just such figments.... useful hypotheses, but not to be taken too seriously. It's naive in the extreme to believe these laws of our own making actually exist, when all we are doing is "projecting" them onto reality... but then I guess one has to believe in something as evidently [human] nature abhors a vacuum.

edit

You've obviously missed the point then. Shall I spell it out.

What seems to have come into disrepute today, namely, philosophy [or what some derisively call waffling] is no more than human thought. It's also been termed enlightened scepticism, which sees through all the pretensions and figments of that species of the imagination known as the intellect. The "laws of nature", that supposedly rule our world, are just such figments.... useful hypotheses, but not to be taken too seriously. It's naive in the extreme to believe these laws of our making actually exist, as if we can project them onto reality... but then I guess one has to believe in something as [human] nature abhors a vacuum.

:lol: you can't help your self can you! :lol:

I haven't missed Goldfingers point as he put it so succinctly!

I am not even sure what your point is. Which is my point - if you get my point! :lol:

I am not even sure what your point is. Which is my point - if you get my point! :lol:

Yes, you missed my point. Here's a suggestion; if you are going to reply to someone's post, why not first read carefully that person's post and try your best to understand what they are saying. Then if you disagree you can give reasons for it, taking the discussion further if you wanted.

Seems these days most are talking past each other without understanding the terms of the discussion etc. We have the technical means to communicate like never before, and yet often we're not up to the task... it's like there's no common language and everyone's bunkering down into their own camp, or tribe. Vico [the Italian philosopher] drew attention to this failure of understanding that looks to be a typical predicament for modern minds that operate solely along lines of analysis. He suggested a quality of mind termed "fantasia", which involved a kind of imaginative travel by which mind can communicate with mind even if separated by vast expanses of time and space [through reading... no black arts required]. This kind of travelling also helps you realize how parochial and small-minded our present ideas and concerns often are.

but enough waffling.

but enough waffling.

Now you are getting the point.

TBH I think only you understand your posts if others don't understand them like I said then you are failing as a communicator.

So its no good blaming me for not understanding waffle.

I concur with GF waffle and excessive charting reiteration of ones position or successes simply covers up for a lack of knowledge and understanding.

I think GF has summed up a fair amount of what happens here on this forum.

Now you are getting the point.

TBH I think only you understand your posts if others don't understand them like I said then you are failing as a communicator.

So its no good blaming me for not understanding waffle.

I concur with GF waffle and excessive charting reiteration of ones position or successes simply covers up for a lack of knowledge and understanding.

I think GF has summed up a fair amount of what happens here on this forum.

"Waffle" performs an important function. Unless we waffle from time to time, then we will take our ideas too seriously.... and what we think is knowledge soon becomes dogma. Where's the freedom of thought in that?

Anyway this is getting off topic.... though much waffling could and needs to be done about gold.

"Waffle" performs an important function. Unless we waffle from time to time, then we will take our ideas too seriously.... and what we think is knowledge soon becomes dogma. Where's the freedom of thought in that?

Anyway this is way off the topic of gold.... though much waffling could and needs to be done about gold.

Failure to address any of my points as per usual.

Waffle only serves a function to the waffler if the recipient does not understand it then the waffle is meaningless.

Please don't bother responding as I agree it is way off topic and I don't see you accomodating other points of view or responding to specific points.

RB is a proven reliable contra indicator so attempting to understand his thinking is useful to gold holders. Looking through that thread, RB completely misunderstands the topic and goes off on a tangent about entropy. The most probable cause for brain shrinkage is the absence of evolutionary pressure since farming was adopted. RB does not understand this.

I think this post demonstrates that philosophy is not a ten minute per day hobby.

Philosophy is not "wobbling," it's reasoned argument; it requires a lot of work and a lot of time, which is something Gen-Y may not be well prepared for.

RB is a proven reliable contra indicator so attempting to understand his thinking is useful to gold holders. Looking through that thread, RB completely misunderstands the topic and goes off on a tangent about entropy. The most probable cause for brain shrinkage is the absence of evolutionary pressure since farming was adopted. RB does not understand this.

Or maybe smaller head=less chance of mother and baby dying in childbirth, which until recently was the biggest killer of women iirc.

I think this post demonstrates that philosophy is not a ten minute per day hobby.

Philosophy is not "wobbling," it's reasoned argument; it requires a lot of work and a lot of time, which is something Gen-Y may not be well prepared for.

When this forum is renamed Global Philosophy Forum you may have a point.

When this forum is renamed Global Philosophy Forum you may have a point.

Here's the point. Predicting markets and macro-economic trends involves studying various disciplines such as economics, history, history of ideas/ philosophy, mass psychology/ ideology etc. At best we get a murky picture that will never be certain, or 100%.

Now some might choose to "debunk" philosophy and call it "waffle", and then I might in turn debunk an ideology and call it hubris..... but that's not going to get the discussion very far is it.

I hope I stated that succinctly enough for you.

Wht's the possibility Warpig? - meanwhile:

UPDATE 1-U.S. Mint gold coin sales drop in 2010

03 Jan 2011 - 12:19

* American Eagle gold coin sales dip to 1.221 mln oz in 2010

* Gold and silver coin sales slip sharply in December

By Jan Harvey

LONDON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - The U.S. Mint said sales of its American Eagle gold coins fell 14 percent last year to 1.221 million ounces, though its sales of silver bullion coins jumped by one-fifth to 34.663 million ounces

In December, sales of both were sharply lower, with silver coin sales dropping by more than a third year-on-year to 1.772 million ounces, while gold coin sales slid 74 percent to just 60,000 ounces from 231,500 ounces.

Silver coin sales had hit a record 4.2 million ounces in November, the strongest level since their introduction in 1986. Late 2009 was a particularly strong time for gold and silver coin sales as investors spooked by the spreading financial crisis turned to precious metals as a haven from risk.

While investors remain nervous over the outlook for the financial markets and other assets such as currencies, appetite for so-called safe-haven assets tempered slightly last year from the extremely high levels in 2009.

Here's the point. Predicting markets and macro-economic trends involves studying various disciplines such as economics, history, history of ideas/ philosophy, mass psychology/ ideology etc. At best we get a murky picture that will never be certain, or 100%.

Now some might choose to "debunk" philosophy and call it "waffle", and then I might in turn debunk an ideology and call it hubris..... but that's not going to get the discussion very far is it.

I hope I stated that succinctly enough for you.

Some of use seem to be doing better than you philosophisers without all the waffle I think is what he is trying to put across. :lol:

An abstraction. The world of markets and economies are "ruled" by the vagaries of human nature [not philosophy, ideology, or science].

economies are bound by real world physical constraints.

"Waffle" performs an important function. Unless we waffle from time to time, then we will take our ideas too seriously....

and if you waffle all the time then no-one will take your posts seriously at all.