Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Manafort Gambles on a Trial

Sure

Mueller = Scumbag & Liar ! (running an illegal witch hunt)

Another Lie at that link, almost certainly

12 minutes ago, drbubb said:

Sure

Mueller = Scumbag & Liar ! (running an illegal witch hunt)

Another Lie, almost certainly

Have to concede I giggle inside everytime I hear this.

Both Rosenstein and Mueller have been lead investigators for republican witch hunts for decades, to hear republican media call them out and republicans buy into it is almost as hillarious as if CNN or ABC called out Prince Charles for his pedophilia, beastiality and murdered orphans.

Mr Ellis said:

"Mr. Andres, you may call your next witness."

That's when Andres reminded him the jury still needed to be brought in. 

The courtroom erupted in laughter. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/manafort-trial-live-updates-russia-trump-latest-mueller-ukraine-election-campaign-gates-a8485916.html

Haha,

As if Nancy Pelosi was not 100X more embarrassing every single day.

And her position is way higher within the DEMocratic party

Manafort's defense rests after calling no witnesses

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — Paul Manafort's defense rested its case Tuesday without calling any witnesses in the former Trump campaign chairman's tax evasion and fraud trial. Manafort himself chose not to testify.

The decision by Manafort's lawyer, Kevin Downing, not to call witnesses clears the way for the jury to hear closing arguments in the trial, now in its third week.
Manafort is accused of hiding millions of dollars in income he received advising Ukrainian politicians. The defense has tried to blame Manafort's financial mistakes on his former assistant, Richard Gates. Defense attorneys have called Gates a liar, philanderer and embezzler as they've sought to undermine his testimony.
Closing arguments in the case are scheduled for Wednesday morning.
Asked by Judge T.S. Ellis III whether he wished to testify in his defense, Manafort responded: "No, sir." The decision came after a more than two-hour hearing that was closed from the public.
The judge has not given any explanation for the sealed proceeding, only noting that a transcript of it would become public after Manafort's case concludes.
Manafort's decision not to testify and not to call witnesses came after Ellis rejected a defense motion that the case should be dismissed on grounds the government failed to meet its burden of proof. Manafort's lawyers asked the judge to toss out all the charges against him, but they focused in particular on four bank-fraud charges.
The government says Manafort hid at least $16 million in income from the IRS between 2010 and 2014 by disguising the money he earned advising politicians in Ukraine as loans and hiding it in foreign banks. Then, after his money in Ukraine dried up, they allege he defrauded banks by lying about his income on loan applications and concealing other financial information, such as mortgages.
Manafort's lawyers argued that there is no way that one of the banks, Federal Savings Bank, could have been defrauded because its chairman, Stephen Calk, knew full well that Manafort's finances were in disarray but approved the loan to Manafort anyway. Witnesses testified at trial that Calk pushed the loans through because he wanted a post in the Trump administration.
Ellis, in making his ruling, said that the defense made a "significant" argument, but ultimately ruled the question "is an issue for the jury."

worth considering the witnesses he didn't call

A tax expert to show the tax shouldn't have been paid

A financial expert to say the loans should have been made

An account to say the acccounts were all in order

members of the trump administration to say he wasn't trying to get Calk a job

->he didn't even try. Will Trump really pardon him? I don't think he would have enough to gain to risk the backlash, and I really don't think a plea deal was ever even offered. He just pled innocent despite the wealth of evidence against him.

The Govt's case was so poorly argued, M. might get off (from many of the charges)

Will Mule-r then throw in the towel?

I am wondering when Mule-r's trial will start

He and his buddy, the King of Comedy, can share a cell, with the cardinal Comey on the top bunk, closer to God

1 hour ago, drbubb said:

The Govt's case was so poorly argued, M. might get off (from many of the charges)

Will Mule-r then throw in the towel?

I am wondering when Mule-r's trial will start

He and his buddy, the King of Comedy, can share a cell, with the cardinal Comey on the top bunk, closer to God

I'll reconsider a lot of things if he gets off. Will you if he's found guilty of more than half the charges?

Big Black Cock reckons he gets 10 years, seems to me it could be quite a bit more.

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

worth considering the witnesses he didn't call

A tax expert to show the tax shouldn't have been paid

A financial expert to say the loans should have been made

An account to say the acccounts were all in order

members of the trump administration to say he wasn't trying to get Calk a job

->he didn't even try. Will Trump really pardon him? I don't think he would have enough to gain to risk the backlash, and I really don't think a plea deal was ever even offered. He just pled innocent despite the wealth of evidence against him.

https://www.businessinsider.com/defense-rests-paul-manafort-trial-without-calling-witnesses-2018-8

• "It is hard in a case like this for the defense to find witnesses to dispute the essential facts proven by the prosecution," said one Justice Department veteran.

I wonder if that was what happened on Friday. - All the defense witnesses pulled out. And thats why the judge was so mad the prosecution witness sat in on the case. (talked to each other)

"Resting" Manafort : "I don't think they had any choice"

The best case for Manafort is a hung jury

Joe diGenova Discusses the Latest on the Mueller Probe

The Mueller team does not have a case without Mr Gates.

The prosecution made a case... but it relies on Gates, "a crook"

Joe DiG thinks Manafort was wise to not answer questions.

But also thinks the Manafort, who was "with the Trump campaign for only 90 days" had nothing on Trump.

"The only crime (that I can see) was the ILLEGAL OBTAINING of FISA warrants"

18 minutes ago, drbubb said:

but it relies on Gates, "a crook"

This I don't agree with. because the book keeper testified it was manafort that gave the illegal orders and she told them him they were illegal.

Gates told them what to look for and gave them manafort, and the trump family. he won the prisoner dilemma game. 

But I am a long way from convinced they will pursue Trump, Muellers team just doesn't work that way. They seem to only do whitewash if you are a child raping nutjob.

It would be ironic if Manafort got off on some charges, where Gates committed crimes.

Remember Team Mueller did a "plea deal" with Gates to get at Manafort.

McCarthy: Mueller's Biggest Mistake in Manafort Trial Was Giving 'Shameful' Plea Deal to Gates

100 years of crime was negotiated down to 2 minor crimes FOR GATES!  

"Gates was guilty of the same crimes as Manafort"

This plea-deal thing STINKS to high heaven - Mueller and his team are obstructing Justice, just as Comey's FBI did

prison-bunk-beds-interior-design-bedroom

They both belong in prison... eventually. Hillary will be lucky if it stops at prison for her.

She might have her own "come to Jesus" moment, but in her case, it might be come to Satan.

Here's what a slimebag, Ari Melberg at MSNBC & his lawyer friend thinks

"5 counts of filing a false return... several counts of bank fraud"

He was right about one thing: "If they put Manafort on the Stand, THEY ARE CRAZY!"

Former Prosecutor: Paul Manafort Will Be Found Guilty | The Beat With Ari Melber | MSNBC

Published on Aug 13, 2018

Special Counsel Mueller’s prosecutors have rested their case against former Trump campaign manager, Paul Manafort. Former Prosecutor in the Justice Department’s tax division, Gene Rossi, who has argued before the Judge in Paul Manafort’s case over 500 times joins Ari Melber. Rossi says he expects Manafort will be “found guilty of 5 counts of filing a false tax return”, “several counts of bank fraud, plus the foreign bank account requirement”. Rossi also describes the Judge in Manafort’s case a someone who uses a “sledgehammer with nails.”

IS THIS all they Have? LOL

If Manafort gets off lightly, it may be seen as exoneration of Trump, thinks Styx

Manafort Won't Even Mount a Full Legal Defense Due To Crappy Prosecution

Mule-r may have been "set up by the FBI" (who had Nothing).

I disagree, I think Mule-r was part of the attempted coup & cover-up from Day 1

Jury to begin weighing U.S. charges against ex-Trump aide Manafort

A jury on Thursday will begin weighing the fate of Paul Manafort, the former Trump campaign chairman standing trial on bank and tax fraud charges that could put him behind bars.

The judge gave the jury of six men and six women in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, their final instructions on Wednesday after closing arguments.

During the two weeks of testimony, witnesses described how Manafort routed $16 million in income hidden in foreign bank accounts to U.S. vendors to purchase real estate, bespoke suits and antique rugs, income he is charged with omitting from his tax returns.

The case is the first to go to trial arising out of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe of Russia's meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, although the charges against Manafort largely predate his five months on the campaign.

Manafort, 69, a veteran political consultant, made his fortune bringing pro-Russian politician Viktor Yanukovych to power in Ukraine in 2010. When Yanukovych fled the country in 2014, the political work dried up and Manafort lied about his finances to get loans from banks, prosecutors said.

In their closing argument on Wednesday, defense counsel argued that prosecutors had not proved Manafort willfully committed any crimes. They said he trusted employees, his accountants and bookkeeper to handle his financial affairs, and at times misplaced that trust.

The defense took direct aim at Rick Gates, Manafort's long-time right-hand man, who was charged in the same indictment but pleaded guilty and is cooperating with the government.

Gates' testimony was the highlight of the trial, and defense attorney Kevin Downing sought to undercut his credibility as he described the married father of four's "secret life" in London, that Gates admitted included an extramarital affair.

But Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Andres told jurors in his closing that the star witness of the trial was "documents," and that, once the jury began deliberating, they should look at the exhibits to see how they corroborated Gates' testimony.

While some legal experts predicted the jury reach a decision before the weekend, others said the jury would likely deliberate longer, given the complexity and historic nature of the case.

"If this were a run-of-the-mill case, you could have a verdict Thursday afternoon or Friday because they don't want to come back Monday," said Gene Rossi, a former federal prosecutor who has watched parts of the trial. "This is a monumental case, and I would be surprised if they don't come back Monday to examine the jury instructions and the exhibits."

>

http://news.trust.org/item/20180816100001-wopdy