Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Manafort Gambles on a Trial

Manafort Gambles on a Trial... instead of negotiating a plea

636637462354666833-GTY-961665980.jpg?wid

the trial will center on Manafort’s Ukrainian consulting work and only briefly touch on his involvement with the president’s campaign.

The "first" trial of Paul Manafort, Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, is set to to begin in Alexandria, Virginia, on Tuesday for charges related to bank and tax fraud.

Prosecutors have said they will not explore allegations of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign in this case. In September, Manafort is slated to face a second trial in Washington, D.C., on separate charges of money laundering and failure to register as a foreign agent. He has pled not guilty to all of the charges.

Here’s what you need to know...

> http://time.com/5352999/paul-manafort-trial/

Manafort’s Finances Will Be in Spotlight in High-Stakes Trial

The outcome of the trial of Trump’s ex-campaign chair is likely to affect the course of Mueller’s Russia investigation

>

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manafort-trial-holds-big-implications-for-russia-probe-1532862000

th?id=OIP.refgZr5sR9sFDah4fTfGVwEsCo&w=3

TUESDAY: Manafort Trial Starts...

Focus on lavish lifestyle -- not collusion...

Adding to the intrigue is the expected spectacle of Manafort’s deputy, Rick Gates, testifying against him after cutting a plea deal with prosecutors, and the speculation that Manafort, who faces charges in two different courts and decades in prison if convicted, may be holding out for a pardon from Trump.

“Perhaps he believes that he’s done nothing wrong, and because he’s done nothing wrong, he’s unwilling to plead guilty to any crime whatsoever — even if it’s a lesser crime,” said Jimmy Gurule, a Notre Dame law professor and former federal prosecutor. “Obviously, that’s very risky for him.”

Manafort was indicted along with Gates in Mueller’s wide-ranging investigation, but he is the only American charged to opt for a trial instead of cooperating with the government. The remaining 31 individuals charged have either reached plea agreements, including ex-White House national security adviser Michael Flynn, or are Russians seen as unlikely to enter an American courtroom. Three Russian companies have also been charged.

28 minutes ago, drbubb said:

Focus on lavish lifestyle -- not collusion...

While the DOJ have publically stated they plan to offer no evidence of his collusion during the 2016 election cycle.

The game plan appears to be:

Prove manafort was corrupt up to and including his time in the Trump administration. (easy win)

Prove he was involved with individuals linked to Carter Page (set the precedent)

Prove Carter page colluded with the individuals proven and known to corrupt individuals involved in the 2016 election campaign. (via fisa warrents - which are possibly inadmissable -, manafort conviction and sworn testimony evidence from flynn, papdopulus and rick gates to name a few)

Optionally prove Carter Page was acting with the approval of Trump himself for an impeachment. (specifically the bugged trump tower meeting), but just the firings, and forced dismissals of Trump trying hamper the above investigation is enough for an obstruction of justice case.

___

As it dawned on the short sighted fuckwits that impeaching Trump and putting Mike Pence in the oval office isn't something anyone would really support, they put in place a back up plan to spank those involved even if they don't think they can get Pence into the oval office.

" Prove Carter Page colluded with the individuals proven and known to corrupt individuals involved in the 2016 election campaign "

Do you think Crater Page is clever enough to "collude" with anyone?

He seems like a Patsy from Central Casting

17 minutes ago, drbubb said:

" Prove Carter Page colluded with the individuals proven and known to corrupt individuals involved in the 2016 election campaign "

Do you think Crater Page is clever enough to "collude" with anyone?

He seems like a Patsy from Central Casting

Whether russia did the hacking or not.

Carter page and friends received stolen dnc documents and used them to plan campaign strategy. Seems like that is what the "endgame" will be. "stupid watergate"

As Trumps "foreign policy advisor" involved in that, and who previously worked mostly for Gazprom and Russian elements in the Ukraine, it will be easier to prove Russian collusion than not.

On 14/06/2017 at 1:57 AM, mSparks said:

from who? all you watch is fox.

google trump 0.5% rosneft and you get plenty of results. particularly from the business pages.

worth going back to what we knew and when.

": Carter page and friends received stolen dnc documents and used them to plan campaign strategy. "

There is NO PROOF of that.

Else it would have been leaked, or put in the FISA documents.

Seth Rich leaked the DNC info, and was killed for it - there is much evidence backing this up

WHY DO YOU STILL BELIEVE tired, old, & discredited narratives?  Is it because you live in exile, in some EE sh/thole?

John Oliver is not a reliable source of anything. He is an utter scumbag who should be fired, or maybe 6-feet under

1 hour ago, drbubb said:

There is NO PROOF of that.

You can live on blind faith, and I'll follow the money, lets see who ends up winning the internet points.

->

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-camp-changed-strategy-russians-210435132.html?guccounter=1

Trump camp changed strategy after Russians stole DNC analytics

Your favorite dyke looks at the timing between the theft by Russian military intelligence of DNC analytics data in September 2016, as described in the recent indictment brought by Robert Mueller.

Blind Faith?

Hardly.  I follow the actual news, and you live in a bubble
Mueller needs a win at Manafort trial...

The criminal trial of Paul Manafort that opens in Virginia Tuesday is just one part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s sprawling Russia probe — but its verdict could have an outsized impact on Mueller’s work.

A conviction against Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, who is fighting major bank and tax fraud charges, would offer Mueller a powerful response to presidential taunts that he is waging a “witch hunt.”

Never mind that Manafort’s trial — which will not be televised — will barely touch on Trump or the 2016 presidential election. The charges cover a period that includes political work the GOP lobbyist and consultant did in Ukraine years before he joined Trump’s campaign but also extend to more recent loan applications while he was staffing the future president. Experts call the stakes high all the same.

“The din of the verdict will be deafening,” said Mark Corallo, a former spokesman for both Trump’s legal team and the George W. Bush Justice Department.

4 hours ago, drbubb said:

Mueller needs a win at Manafort trial...

Hardly an earth shattering epiphany.

nothing i said works out well for them if they decide the former united states cant charge taxes on us citizens living abroad.

Unfortunately for Manafort it's the only country in the world that does. And he's now on the hook for up to 305 years of jail time (not a typo). He should of chosen a better country to be born in - literally anywhere else.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

MANAFORT CASE GOES TO TRIAL, BUT DON’T EXPECT TO HEAR EVIDENCE OF COLLUSION

31 minutes ago, drbubb said:

Rather than take a plea, Manafort has taken the gamble of a trial and the lingering chance of a pardon.

Unlike most of the MSM I am a long way from convinced any meaningful plea deal has ever been offered to him. pure unfounded assumption (with a stink of psyop)  on their part as far as i can tell.

On 05/06/2018 at 11:46 AM, mSparks said:

I think the FT mispelled Habsburg, although I also think that means there wont be much reporting on them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg_Monarchy Poor manafort going straight to jail if he is on the wrong side of that game.

Mueller accuses Manafort of attempted witness tampering

https://www.ft.com/content/2c2120cc-6869-11e8-8cf3-0c230fa67aec

More from February

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/24/after-hapsburg-group-disclosure-in-mueller-indictment-former-european-politicians-come-under-scrutiny/?utm_term=.9b6cd48b9831

Hmm.

FT & Wash Compost = Fake news.  Be careful.

6 minutes ago, drbubb said:

Hmm.

FT & Wash Compost = Fake news.  Be careful.

he had his bail revoked tho.

And have you heard any mention of who the witnesses he was tampering with were since?

NONE of this Trial has anything to do with Trump.

But it will be seen as a Test of Mueller's credibility

4 hours ago, drbubb said:

NONE of this Trial has anything to do with Trump.

But it will be seen as a Test of Mueller's credibility

Trump made it about Trump.

Because he's knows very well this trail is the first salvo in a legal war to prove a very large criminal conspiracy against the former united states

Which his whole family is up to their necks in.

"Trump made it about Trump"

Utter Sparkian Nonsense!

The Lie-Stream Media has made everything about TRump, because their candidate, the Witch, lost - & they are being force to surrender power as a result

===

IT BEGINS...

Manafort had 30 Bank Accounts, $15k Ostrich Coat... 

First look at scorched-earth prosecutor...

Special Counsel Moves MORE Cases to NY...

3 minutes ago, drbubb said:

The Lie-Stream Media has made everything about TRump

You think his twitter account is fake?

possible i suppose. although very implausible.

17 minutes ago, drbubb said:

Is blaming your accountant for not paying your taxes a valid defense for not paying your taxes?

interesting defense if it is.

Looks like it might be. although that hinges on whether you can delegate your legal duties to someone else. they have 1 and 2, need to show 3.

->Asonye said evidence will show that Manafort knowingly filed false tax returns

To prove a violation of the statute, the prosecutor must show (1) the existence of a tax deficiency (an unpaid federal tax), (2) an affirmative act constituting an evasion or attempted evasion of either the assessment or payment of that tax, and (3) willfulness (connoting the voluntary, intentional violation of a known legal duty)

Sparks,

Why does the Manafort case interest you so strongly?

I am genuinely curious.  Seems to be some sort of Hot Button

1 hour ago, drbubb said:

Sparks,

Why does the Manafort case interest you so strongly?

I am genuinely curious.  Seems to be some sort of Hot Button

mostly because that tax situation is the primary reason i turned down us citizenship. and took my life east instead of west. I don't know why Manafort decided to give up his lavish lifestyle and go back to that shithole, some kind of misguided patriotism i guess, but the whole thing is a shining example to the rest of us that such things are a bad idea.

Trump is rightly angry about the multiple unfairnesses

8 hours ago

Paul Manafort worked for Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other highly prominent and respected political leaders. He worked for me for a very short time. Why didn’t government tell me that he was under investigation. These old charges have nothing to do with Collusion - a Hoax!

/ 2 /

6 hours ago

Looking back on history, who was treated worse, Alfonse Capone, legendary mob boss, killer and “Public Enemy Number One,” or Paul Manafort, political operative & Reagan/Dole darling, now serving solitary confinement - although convicted of nothing? Where is the Russian Collusion?

Sharpest mind in the room?

‘He has torn my head off’: Manafort judge known for being tough during trials

Mere seconds into the first words spoken to a jury from the special counsel team investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election, Judge T.S. Ellis III interrupted.

“Focus on the elements of the offense,” the 78-year-old jurist interjected Tuesday as Assistant U.S. Attorney Uzo Asonye described Paul Manafort as a man who believed he was above the law.

Soon after, Ellis interrupted again, as Asonye sketched for jurors Manafort’s luxurious lifestyle.

“It isn’t a crime to be profligate in your spending,” Ellis said.

He soon admonished defense attorney Thomas Zehnle in a similar fashion.

“I take it you plan to offer evidence?” he asked as Zehnle extolled Manafort’s contributions to American politics. Then say so, Ellis suggested.

FEO3IQEFG4I6RBKTUPHISA3MPA.jpg
Judge T.S. Ellis III presides over a 2008 naturalization ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. (Tracy A. Woodward/The Washington Post)

As the federal judge in Alexandria oversees the trial of President Trump’s onetime campaign chairman on tax and bank fraud charges, his sharp demeanor comes as no surprise to lawyers who appear before him often.

“He has torn my head off in front of my wife multiple times,” said Kevin Mikolashek, who recently left the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Alexandria to start his own consulting firm.

With degrees from Princeton, Harvard and Oxford and 31 years on the bench, Ellis is formidably sharp. And although he might scold prosecutors for not meeting his high standards, in trials Ellis often uses his intellect to their benefit.

“It’s important for him that everyone in the courtroom knows he is the smartest person in that courtroom, and just be aware that he usually is,” defense lawyer John Zwerling says he warns lawyers who are new to the District. “So you better be on your A game.”

. . . Lawyers say that although Ellis might be tough on them, politics is not the Reagan appointee’s motivation.

“He is personally a Republican, and his political opinions did not line up with mine, but I literally cannot recall an instance where I thought that was an issue. He’s not an ideological judge, he’s a law-driven judge,” said Emily Martin, general counsel for the National Women’s Law Center and a former clerk for Ellis.

“He’s actually had a lot of lefty clerks over the years,” Martin said.

> WashPost: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/he-has-torn-my-head-off-manafort-judge-known-for-being-tough/2018/07/31/f604e25a-6f28-11e8-afd5-778aca903bbe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.71fe2e382de9

Katzman described several invoices for Manafort from his father's store, Alan Couture, where he was a manager. Manafort had bought four suits and two pairs of trousers for $15,195, according to one invoice, for instance, Katzman said.
Manafort spent on average $100,000 with the store every year from 2010 to 2012. In 2013, he spent $443,160 at the store, Katzman said.
After he said Manafort was an important client, Ellis asked Katzman if all of Alan Couture's clients were important.
"I don't want to answer that," Katzman said, to much laughter in the courtroom.

Is it True?  If so... very interesting!

Breaking News! Paul Manafort to call Rod Rosenstein as his first witness
Wed, 01 Aug 2018 18:22:31 +0000 By: Mike Rivero