Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Black Panther: Hollywood invents High-Tech Africans

"getting rich", aka "building an empire" requires only two simple ingredients.

1. A technological advantage

2.  Maintaining your technological advantage

If the US had its borders closed in 1942, Alan Turing would never have immigrated there when Churchill did "Select All->Delete" on his work in the UK, and America would still be using the typewriter to do everything, in fact, aiui, they nearly didn't let him in, with his preference for the male anus and all.

Complaining about immigration/borders is just something that happens when those ingredients are no longer on the menu, and the population start fighting over the scraps.

What can we learn from Wakanda  .......... ?

That fiction has no borders.

The original stories were written in the mid to late sixties in a world very different to now ............ you should know that Dr Bubb ........ you were there whilst I was just a twinkle in my Dad's eye. There were still swathes of land across the globe undiscovered and as such, stories of exploration and discovery were left to the imagination of the reader to dream. Many movies of the time (before and since) would use 'the unknown', whether it be through global or space exploration, to heighten this great thing that all human beings have ...... imagination. All Black Panther is doing is appealing to that continued human interest.

+

Sure< U.

It was Africa's Shangrila/

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_filename_640

But is the more vivid imagination of this place brought to life in the film, and sold to a much larger audience that is Hollywood's invention

I will repeat here, Stefan Molyneux's video - and he makes some of the same points that I do

Stef Molyneux's review:

Why do countries become Rich?

It isn't because of Vibranium or because they exploit Black Slaves

The Truth About Black Panther

WHAT can we learn from Wakanda?

+ It keeps its borders closed

+ It eventually decides to use its technology: But NOT to help the world,

To help only black kids in the ghetto

=====

Sparks, you left out some steps, like:

1. Invent the Wheel...

Shangri-La has been found! It’s in Denver!

cover-clip-lost-horizon4201.jpg?w=640

It was James Hilton’s best-selling 1933 novel Lost Horizon that first brought us the term “Shangri-La,” but it was Frank Capra who immortalized it with his epochal 1937 film version of the story starring Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt, Sam Jaffe and Edward Everett Horton for Columbia Pictures. A money-loser upon its initial release, Lost Horizon has over time matured into a beloved classic. It remains today a wonder to behold, a visually stunning experience with credit due both to Capra and cinematographer Joseph Walker, but most importantly to art director Stephen Goosson, whose remarkable streamline moderne settings rank among the most spectacular and memorable film sets ever created.

shangrila.jpg?w=640&h=523

(NZ Petehttp://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com)

goosson-1.jpg?w=300&h=235

Stephen Goosson meets with his design team on Lost Horizon. (NZ Petehttp://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com

The Michigan born Goosson was one of a number of architects such as Lyle Wheeler and Carl Jules Weyl who found new careers in movies. Goosson entered films in 1919 working first for Lewis J. Selznick, then Joe Schenck, Cecil B. De Mille and others before finally settling as the head art director at Columbia Pictures for some twenty-five years, picking up five Oscar nominations along the way and a well deserved win for Lost Horizon. In some ways, Goosson’s sets were so arresting that they upstaged the film’s plot, a situation Capra himself candidly admitted in an oral history conducted in the 1950’s and quoted in Joseph McBride’s 1992 biography of the director The Catastrophe of Success. “I got lost in the architecture, in Utopia,” Capra related, “in the never, never land, and it was only toward the end of the picture that I got back on the track with human beings…” Capra could hardly be blamed for getting sucked into the wonderous Utopia of Shangri-La as invented by Hilton and brought to life by Goosson. It is, in fact, the de facto star of the picture and in my humble opinion, the most memorable thing in the whole picture.

shangri-la-4.jpg?w=640&h=501

shangri-la-2.png?w=640&h=439

tumblr_lj17tjun901qin7v9o1_500.png?w=640

lost1a.jpg?w=640

The joke's on us! It was all done in Burbank at the Columbia Ranch on Hollywood Way. Burbank Shangri-la! http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com

The sets in Lost Horizon were so compelling they led at least one person, mining magnate Harry E. Huffman to want Shangri-La for his own personal paradise...

> https://paradiseleased.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/shangri-la-has-been-found-its-in-denver/

1 hour ago, drbubb said:

Sparks, you left out some steps, like:

1. Invent the Wheel...

So you didn't watch the documentary then?

Africa was a sea faring nation, predating the rise of Egypt, even if they didn't have the wheel (which seems like nonsense) wouldn't be much good in this:

Boats%2Bdwarfed%2Bby%2Bjungle%2B1100x1100.jpg

Here we go!  Black-Lash for BP?

'BLACK PANTHER' packed with action, diversity -- but no gays...

Theater halts showing after woman shouts slur...

“Black Panther” is being hailed as the most diverse superhero movie in Hollywood history, but it’s not diverse enough for some progressives who want to know: Where are all the gay characters?

The latest comic-book-to-film adaptation checked off a number of identity boxes with its almost exclusively black cast and cohort of strong female characters. But filmmakers ditched a lesbian romance subplot from the original comic books, prompting an outcry from the LGBT community.

Actress Florence Kasumba stoked the flames of outrage when she revealed that scenes of lesbian flirtation filmed during production were left on the cutting-room floor.

“The final result that we’ve seen, there were a few scenes that have been cut,” Ms. Kasumba told Vulture. “Different scenes, also. They didn’t make it into the movie for certain reasons, and at that point, I have to say: What their reason is, I can’t tell you, because nobody told me about whether it’s in or not.”

LGBT advocates had every reason to hope that “Black Panther” would be the first Marvel Studios film to feature an openly gay character.

Narrowly Missed?  A PC grandslam??

Thank Gawd for that !

why would you even repeat it? I really couldn’t care less what the Large Grotesque Blue Turtle squad hopes and dreams. They have the right idea here, let them have their parades - through evacuated empty streets barricaded by police at every entrance.

TROLL JOY: this may ruin your Troll Joy, Sparks, but I had to post it

"It's MORE Than a Movie?" Tucker REACTS to Black Panther Movie Hype

tldw

Fox news says:”so we now have to have fully segregated theaters so black people aren’t offended by white people”

More Mericanos need to watch fox news, I don’t think enough Americans hear messages like that these days.

Insanity, Lies & delusions - that is The View!

Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira Talk 'Black Panther' Success | The View

Dumber than ... African Rocks, and African mud?

Comments

1. Wikanda "shows what Africa could have become, if only..."

What an incredibly stupid narrative, from people who never invent the wheel, and homes over 2 stories. Are we supposed to listen to this garbage, without laughing out loud?

2. I have started thinking Wakanda into existance. Please help me make it happen! Wakanda forever!! Btw we need a Wakanda forever emoji. Who is with me?

3. Why not start with something simple, like inventing the wheel/ Blacks need African fantasies, because they deliver so little in Reality/ Move to Asia people, and watch the future develop in front of your eyes, while Identity politics grows. and mass stupidity threatens to tear American apart

Ice Wakanda found

adelie-penguins.jpg

Previously unknown 'supercolony' of 1.5 million penguins discovered in Antarctica's remote Danger Islands

A previously unknown “supercolony” of Adélie penguins has been discovered in the Antarctic, easing fears their numbers had been in decline for decades.

The thriving colony inhabits the Danger Islands, where the effects of both climate change and human activity are less pronounced than in other parts of Antarctica.

Located off the Antarctic Peninsula’s northern tip, these islands are both incredibly remote and surrounded by thick sea ice.

This allowed the penguins to remain hidden from the world, until a team of researchers mounted an expedition there to investigate signs of nesting birds.

> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/antarctica-penguins-supercolony-ad-lie-climate-change-unknown-discovered-danger-islands-a8236121.html

Unlike the African Wakanda, this place is real.

It is Thriving and is inhabited by creatures who have not yet invented the wheel

Is that a reference to the fact the legend of the Black Panther is possibly the origins of the Atlantis mythology?

Or just meant to distract us from the fact Atlantians were almost certainly black :wink:

Sure.  The Atlantaens just HAD to be black

6427554-3x2-700x467.jpg

... Because it might keep a fantasy alive... and the fantasy is hard to disprove/

Did Plato mention Black Atlantis?  Did Edgar Cayce?

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Black?  Or is it Vlad Lenin?  (A photoshopped image)

Long lost in the books of history, it was believed that Atlantis was a myth created by a  creative writer in the past. For the longest time, individuals have contemplated the presence of the Lost City of Atlantis. The first mention of the lost city dates as far back as when Plato expounded on the anecdotal island of half-people, half-Gods in the discoursed Timaeus and Critias. In due time, however, all these myths were busted by scientists and geologists who brought  various other conspiracies up to the surface. For the greater part of the previous two centuries, nobody contemplated Atlantis; it was exactly what it seemed to be  by all accounts: merely an anecdotal place accounted  in a tale by the old Greek savant. The possibility of the genuine existence of  Atlantis emerged as a much later thought, first proposed by an essayist named Ignatius Donnelly in 1881. He believed that the majority of the essential achievements of the old world —, for example, metallurgy, farming, religion and dialect — probably originated from Atlantis.

Centuries ago when the question of existence of Atlantis came, there was no sufficient evidence regarding the location of the legendary submerged land. With progress  towards technological advancements, the search for the lost history has become easier. There is a plethora of speculations about the area...

> http://indianfolk.com/hidden-legendary-lost-city-atlantis/

the oldest known written reference of atlantis originates from the writings of plato iirc. couple of millennia, not centuries. Although we all empathise with a century being ancient history for most ignorant americans.

"not greek" back then was black and dark tan empires of egypt, persia and ethopia.

And given it was greek translating Egyptian your choices are persian or black african.

npr. King Memnon.

Okay, so what depleted the Black culture... and Black IQ's?

Seems like the present black culture & government programs K-select for lower and lower IQ's

How fast can the IQ of a racial group be depleted?

Nigeria supposedly had a developed culture - but here's what we get from "a Nigerian chef" in LA

Bigotry, and Racism - in (illegal!) discrimination against White customers

capture10-e1520551263715.png?w=400&h=225

A restaurant in New Orleans is hoping to raise awareness of racial wealth differences in the country by charging white customers more. 

SAARTJ is a pop-up restaurant in the Louisiana city run by local Nigerian chef Tunde Wey who will be charging white customers $18 (£13) extra for their meal. 

Much like the cafe in Melbourne, Australia which charged a 'man-tax' due to the gender pay gap, SAARTJ is charging an increase to highlight the racial pay gap in New Orleans.

In 2013, a study found that the average household income of an African-American in the city was 54 per cent lower than that of a white person. 

> https://www.indy100.com/article/restaurant-charing-white-people-more-racial-wealth-disparity-new-orleans-tunde-wey-nigeria-food-8250341

" white patrons are being asked to pay $30 and black customers are asked to pay $12."

Zero tolerance of such illegal racist discrimination should be tolerated

Nolte: ‘Black Panther’ Mirage Proves Obama Set Race Relations Back Decades

BlackPanther1-640x480.jpg

Did you know that this year marks the 20th anniversary of a black actor portraying a Marvel superhero in a big budget studio film?  No, I am not writing about Black Panther from the future. No, you have not Rip Van Winkle’d to the year 2038. The truth is that this is the 20th anniversary of Blade, a $45 million Marvel superhero movie distributed by New Line (which was part of Time-Warner) that starred Wesley Snipes, a black man.

Blade was also a hit in 1998, going on to gross $131 million. Two sequels soon followed. Blade II arrived in 2002 with a $54 million budget and a $155 million gross. Oh, and Blade II was not directed by a white guy, but by Guillermo del Toro, who is Mexican, so…

Welcome to the 16th anniversary of a black man starring as a Marvel superhero in a big budget studio film directed by a member of a racial minority. Two years later, the Blade franchise sadly came to an end with Blade: Trinity — a $65 million flick that grossed a disappointing $129 million. But everyone pretty much agrees it was ruined by a white guy — Ryan Reynolds.

How can this be, you might ask? How can this specific racial milestone be 20-years-old when we are celebrating 2018’s Black Panther as a milestone, as the first big budget studio film with a black actor portraying a Marvel superhero?

Is it all lies?  Is it all a hustle? Is it all politics? Is it all BS?

Yes — yes, it is.

It is also an indication of just how much race relations regressed during the toxic Obama years.

Way back in 1998 when Blade was released, nobody said boo, nobody said a thing, nobody celebrated the fact that a black man was front-and-center in a big-budget superhero movie.

Part of the reason is that Blade actually did not break any new racial ground.

Before Blade there were two — count ’em, two — black superhero movies in 1997: Steel with Shaquille O’Neal (it tanked) and Spawn, which starred Michael Jai White (it grossed a very respectable $87 million). Prior to 1997, there was Damon Wayans as Blankman in 1994 (it tanked) and Robert Townsend as Meteor Man in 1993 (ticket sales nearly quadrupled its $8 million budget).

I should add, though, that not a single one of those movies was celebrated as a first. Again, no one said boo — even though five black superhero studio movies were released in the 1990s.

Why? Was it that America was so racist we did not want to acknowledge such a thing? Was it that America was so backwards, we wanted to pretend this was not happening?

No.

It was not that America did not care if a black actor played a superhero, it was actually better than that — we did not notice.

Not only was America more than ready for a black actor in spandex, we were so ready, so colorblind, our hero’s skin color did not even register in our national psyche.

The sad truth is this: Over 13 years 12 black superhero movies could be released without any fanfare because America was more advanced on the issue of race relations before Barack Obama became president.

Ahh, but Black Panther is still first black superhero movie written and directed by a black man, right? Nope. Robert Townsend wrote, directed, and starred in Meteor Man a whole quarter century ago.

America’s regression, our backwards strides away from King’s dream, all began with Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign and a media so desperate to protect him that every criticism leveled at The One was labeled racism. Everything was about race. Everything.

> http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/04/05/nolte-black-panther-mirage-proves-obama-set-race-relations-back-decades/

OBAMA = the Worst American President.

But Hillary would have been wore still

Actually, I completely disagree on Obama - he is quite possibly THE best president America has ever had. It genuinely makes me sad to see the volume of unfounded vitriol pointed his way.

I'm not saying he was perfect - or even hugely successful, but he went up against Americas biggest evil corp - The Health Insurance Industry of the US (who, imho, are 1000 times worse than the military industrial complex, because at least the MIC main job is protecting americans, rather than murdering americans for profit)

And made at least some progress.

But that is another thread, and right now, given the current state of world geopolitics, its probably for the best that American lifespan reverts to getting shorter.....

Huh?

What progress?

Seems like everything got worse under Obama.

(Except that he stood up to Israel... somewhat)

50 Years Later: Why Do They Still Riot?

Its a really huge list, he was a busy guy that worked hard and didn't talk much.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/obama-biggest-achievements-213487

Instead, mainstream and distractionstream media insists stuff like this:

As all Obamas fault, as if being black guy in charge is somehow a band aid that will magically stop trigger happy racist american scum murdering the poor and ignorant

all over the world.

???

Bizarre post.

Your thought process seems alien to me

2 minutes ago, drbubb said:

???

Bizarre post.

Your thought process seems alien to me

because you surely let little phases like this pass you by (from the link)

->Obama’s technocratic brand of change has tended to be more opaque than, say, Donald Trump’s plan for a wall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Whereas your thought process is still founded on an "us and them" rhetoric, based on a "I'm more qualified than them because my parents" moral code of ethics.

Even stranger... Seems like you have LOST IT on this thread, Sparks