CryptoCATS Chat (Public)

How to avoid being scammed when investing in cryptos

In one of my posts in my Inquirer column, I answered some of the common questions on bitcoin in particular and cryptocurrencies in general. That emanated from one single

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

About the Webinar, GROWING Blockchain

How can the Blockchain industry grow?

How can we turn the blockchain hype into something concrete? Is Community building key to growing the industry and encourage mainstream adoption? Join us at this webinar and hear from Cryptology Exchange CMO Mr Herbert Sim and Director of Strategic Initiatives, Mr Kevin Vuong discuss issues facing the blockchain industry and share tips and insights on how you investors can stay savvy and capitalise on this growing industry. 

> https://www.tokenpals.io/whats-holding-blockchain-back-from-large-scale-adoption/

• 2 weeks later...

Crypto Crisis: BILLIONS wiped from XRP value in wake of last week’s...

More than US$9 billion has been wiped from the value of XRP (the native currency of the Ripple network) after the cryptocurrency experienced a shock surge in price last week.

The digital token plunged from a peak of US$0.66 last Friday to just US$0.46 today – a drop of more than 30%.

The slump in price comes after XRP saw a dramatic rise last week following reports that Ripple, the company behind the digital asset, could be close to launching a new product which would help banks speed up international transactions.

But after last week’s spike, which saw investors pile onto the world’s third most popular cryptocurrency, the price dropped as suddenly as investors took their profits.

At press time, XRP was down nearly 12% in the past 24-hours, trading at US$0.4551 with just over US$18.2 billion invested in the cryptocurrency around the world, according to Einstein Exchange.

Crypto markets across the board followed suit en masse. Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), and B Cash (BCH) have fallen anywhere between 3 to 8%.
Read more at http://www.stockhouse.com/news/newswire/2018/09/25/crypto-crisis-billions-wiped-from-xrp-value-wake-last-week-s-spike#6iOFe8Tqu7Wuwj7B.99

After weeks of Quietude ... I have started buying BTC again

Small, at first, but I may ramp up soon

exKEtc3.png

==

CRYPTO---- : BTC &us$ - 09/30 -:- 09/09- : 07/22- : 05/10- :
Bitcoin-- : US-Dollars  @6,570: 6,180: @7,737: @9,330:
Cardano-- : .00001338 : $0.080 : $0.075 : $0.180: $0.330 :
Bitc. cash : 0.0838---- : $0,550 : $0,470.: $0,840.: $1,761 :
Ethereum-: 0.0353---- : $ 232. : $  191. : $  472. :  $ 787. :
Litecoin--- : 0.00951---- : $62.5 : $ 52.6 : $  86.0  :  $ 169. :
Ripple------ : 0.0000924 : $0.600: $ 0.274: $ 0.46.: $ 0.85 :
TRON------- : 0.0000035: $0.020: $ 0.019: $ 0.03.:
EOS Token: 0.0008847:   $ 5.80.: $ 4.66.: $ 8.45.:
HIVE.c------------------9/07: C$60.0 : C$0.68 : C$ 0.81 : C$1.120 > Last 6/5
ATLEF / Atlas Cloud--- : $0.110 : $ 0.165 :  $ 0.120 : $0.225 >
RIOT---------------------------- : $3.650 : $ 4.300 :  $ 5.900 : $7.800 >

GOT STOPPED OUT.

As the price moved up about $6600, I raised my stops, & got stopped out of my leveraged trades for a small profit.

I will try again soon, I want to get more experience using Gearing & Stops

• 4 weeks later...

Not suggesting that anyone get into this high-risk coin. But a coin I've been invested in for over a year is finally mooning:

Nimiq - https://nimiq.com/en/

Price chart - https://price.nimiqx.com/.     $ 0.002219  +40%

Exchange - https://hitbtc.com/NIM-to-BTC

Again, stress that this is high-risk stuff but this is what a pump (and eventually dump) looks like in real-time. I am betting this has some room to run...

Yes as stated am an 'unwilling investor' in this coin since a year ago, thankfully the losses to date are a single digit percentage compared to the overall gains from last year. Most coins will eventually recover provided there is some software development behind them (the same could not be said of common stocks). Such reasons could include increasing usage network effects and decreasing supply curve from mining.

At the present moment it appears to be dumping back to the baseline, but still too early to conclude that the upwards momentum has been extinguished.

• 4 weeks later...

Bitcoin Plunges to $3,738; Whole Crypto Scam Melts Down, Hedge Funds Stuck

Bitcoin plunged to $3,738 at the moment. Down nearly 40% from two weeks ago, and down 81% from peak-mania of $20,078 on December 17, 2017. It’s back where it had first been on August 12, 2017. It looks like a magnificent bubble that is imploding, but “bubble” is a misnomer; it’s a magnificent scam, where people paid a lot of money – many billions of dollars – to get an essentially useless digital entity whose price then dissolved into where it had come from.

This chart via CoinMarketCap shows the drama of bitcoin’s market cap surge to $333 billion on December 17, 2017 and the collapse to $64.9 billion now:

Bitcoin Investors may not actually own the digital currency because many courts don't recognise them as property, legal expert warns

Investors in Bitcoin may not technically own them as English courts don't recognise the cryptocurrency as possessions, a legal expert has warned.

Dave Michels, a research associate at Queen Mary University of London, says the level of legal protection is unclear.

Mr Michels and his team recently completed research which shows that courts in England and Wales are unlikely to identify digital tokens like Bitcoin as property.

The same law is likely to apply in other common law jurisdictions such as the United States, Hong Kong, Singapore, most of India and elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

https://twitter.com/Gemini/status/1082726902622797825/photo/1

Winklevoss twins’ Gemini ad campaign hopes to ignite the ‘people’s movement’ MarketWatch

If you live in New York City, your eyes probably glaze over subway ads offering mattress discounts or taxi tops promoting various drinking establishments.

But those taking note over the past few days would have noticed a newcomer: Gemini, the cryptocurrency exchange founded in 2014 by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss. The company rolled out a number of ads on subway cars, taxi tops, bus stops and even took out a full-page ad in the New York Times.

On Tuesday, the twins continued to spread the news, taking to the streets of the Big Apple with a bit of promotion and a little education. “It’s truly a bit of both,” said Chris Roan, head of marketing at Gemini, when asked if it was a marketing campaign or for educational purposes. “This is the first big campaign and we felt it was important to tell a story about the company, but also address what the retail investor is thinking.”

• 3 weeks later...

Bitcoin is about to do something it has never done before — hint: it’s not good

Six consecutive losing months would be a record for the best-known digital currency

MW-HD066_bitcoi_20190131125240_ZH.jpg?uu

For those bitcoin enthusiasts hoping to put 2018 behind them, 2019 hasn’t got off to the best of starts with the most famous digital currency on track to log yet another losing month.

Barring a minor miracle, January will mark the sixth consecutive losing month for bitcoin — something it has never managed before, according to Dow Jones Market Data, which dates back to July 2010.

The streak began on Aug.1 with bitcoin BTCUSD, -0.75%  trading above $7,700. Since then it has tumbled more than 50% with the darkest days coming in November when it crashed through support at $6,000, falling to as low as $2,500 a coin.

MW-HD066_bitcoi_20190131125240_MG.jpg?uu
Bitcoin’s

Read: Here’s why bitcoin isn’t the next gold, in one chart

So with January coming to an end, will February end the unpopular record?

Probably not, if you ask Travis Kling, founder and chief investment officer of Ikigai Asset Management. He believes there’s more pain to come, arguing the industry needs a shake-up before the tide can truly turn. “More exchanges gone. More projects shuttering. More SEC enforcements. More ‘crypto is dead.’ Only then do we move higher,” he tweeted.

I may be influenced by my long position, but the fundamentals behind Ethereum are not too bad. In fact, even with Bitcoin there have been announcements around futures and custody such as Baakt and Fidelity. So, not all doom and gloom, but this could be an instance where the market remains irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

https://www.ccn.com/final-testing-phase-fidelity-nears-launch-of-cryptocurrency-trading-custody-platform/

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen I can confidently confirm the bull market in crypto has begun anew - I hope you all have accumulated at least some percentage of your net worth in crypto otherwise be prepared to pay rapidly rising prices.

Strong W-shaped bottoms in Bitcoin and Ethereum confirm the new bull market.

Last critical line in the sand for ETH is $200. Constantinople upgrade coming in 5 days should see this happen. Buy the rumour as always.

• 2 weeks later...