frizzers

The Best Of YouTube

IMO YouTube is brilliant. Some of the videos there are outstanding, yet would never be playable on mainstream TV.

I suggest here a thread with links to the very best vids you have seen on YouTube.

But, please, don't just link to any old vid you have seen there that is quite good. Let this thread contain the very best. Stuff that can be viewed over and over.

Here are a few to kick things off:

Our House. HPCers will know this, but boy could this be pertinent.

good idea.

Let's run this on Main for awhile.

I will move it later

PROPERTY Related

The Sunny Side of the Real Estate Crash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nSGYjMuc7g

An Ellliottwave look at Real Estate:

2007 Real Estate Predictions:

(Peter Schiff speaks sense. Complacent idiots speak complacency idiocy.)

So you bought a house in the Bubble... housing advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBTDVcINYc&NR=1

(mine would be: if you are going to panic, then panic early)

Recovery from the US Housing Bust of the 1930's:

...includes some interesting stats on the value of U.S. Residential construction:

1928 : $ 2,788 million

1929 : $ 1,916 million

1930 : $ 1,100 million

1931 : .. $ 811 million

1932 : .. $ 267 million

1933 : .. $ 234 million

1934 : .. $ 227 million - a decline of 92%

- so much for a 2-3 year downturn !

"...new houses are brought to you at $4,800,

with a new national housing act plan, with payments NO MORE THAN RENT."

Good stuff fellas.

I particularly like the Helsinki complaints choir.

And the 'Boom' soldiers. And the dancing Indian. And the man who plays guitar with his feet.

Silver, do you know this one?

Watch this then, this will make your mind boggle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWvFTA-Ktc

If only I could blade like this. My favourite part is when the guy blades into a train station, jumps over the frigging tracks and then calmly enters a train as if he were an ordinary commuter, much to the amazement of the conductor. Brilliant.

There are so many good Spitting Image ones, but here's why Mrs Thatcher was so popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YUALnF3JY

Along the same era... which seems to have been forgotten in the mists of time, Drop the Dead Donkey, a classic combination of comedy with it's up to the minute comments on the days news

News Broadcast

If you every get the chance (sorry don't have a link)... one of the writers, Andy Hamilton sang Old Man River with Sooty and Sweep on the radio show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.. had me I crying with laughter... almost as good as Mornington Crescent using gps's.

Getting back on track

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLhNwSBizE

I think the reactions are priceless.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g

As a cyclist there are bits I wince at...

Now something a little more sedentary, nerdlike if you will.

Leroy Jenkins, the best laid plans etc, such enthusiasm!

Someone gets very upset over a pair of boots in a videogame.

During the 1970's there was a comedy called Hi De Hi that used to attract 10-15 million viewers every week. As it got old and the "stars" of the series had to find alternative employment, many found themselves typecast. One of them, Paul Shane who played camp comedian (not that type of camp) Ted Bovis, decided for some unknown reason accept perhaps to himself that he could sing. He appeared on Pebble Mill live and well, judge for yourself. Absolute classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKSb-B2aiJA

Now if only the full version could be found.

FILM-MAKERS need a new model.

The old tax-oriented financings have dried up in a massive change in UK tax laws, which happened in March 2007.

The internet is being studied.

QUESTION:

+ What works on YouTube?

+ What type of content draws an audience?

+ Who makes money on YouTube?

+ What use can filmmakers make of the internet media, and YouTube?

Anyone on GEI willing to tackle any of these questions??

See also/ Film-finance thread:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=2156

For me the most worthwhile part of this is actually the chatter of the stupid tourists. "They're going for the baby, they're going for the baby!" shouts the shocked female. Yeah, welcome to the real world! What did you think? That the lions will do "fair play" and attack the biggest buffalo? Then she goes on how soon the buffalo parents will come and rescue the baby. Hahahahahaha. Yeah, as if. Buffalo parents have long run off into the sunset, probably busy making a new one. It is just unbelievable how these people have no concept of the animal world and project their civilised and PC ways on the animal kingdom and expect them to behave in the same way. Absolutely laughable. I am glad that this last reserve of natural behaviour still exists in this world.

FILM-MAKERS need a new model.

The old tax-oriented financings have dried up in a massive change in UK tax laws, which happened in March 2007.

The UK has always had a weird dynamic for film funding. On the one hand we have the elements of the standard mercantile capitalist systme, where we have companies who can bankroll a project, greenlight it and set completion bonds etc to see it through.

On the other hand we have a peculiar 'welfare state funding' system in place also, which sees movies as being 'art only' and therefore actively funds movies that will never be seen by anyone othe ten crusties and their dog.

These two elements sit side by side and neither is as good as the US model and the French Model.

The internet is being studied.

QUESTION:

+ What works on YouTube?

Seemingly everything, it's absolutely huge. Even the most inept presenters possible can get an audience. Some of the clips have astonishing view rates.

+ What type of content draws an audience?

Comedy obviously ranks pretty highly and self-development, self-betterment is huge.

+ Who makes money on YouTube?

Those who can 'upsell' by using well made clips that promote in a roundabout way there other products, goods and services.

+ What use can filmmakers make of the internet media, and YouTube?

Well selling and distributing movies from your own digital studio over the internet either as PPV content or as permanent downloads is one way.

The Internet as a means of distribution is excellent, it's just a matter of how do you turn that into revenue, when content can be easily copied, re-distributed etc. Just look at the malarky going on with the latest Harry Potter book being scanned and out there before the realease date.

A few years ago, I read an entertainment analysts quote saying soemthing that in X amount of years time, Studios will give away their content (Movies etc) and sell products (Toys, Games etc) on the back of it by Product placement etc.

This is an interesting idea and in part has some truth, but I feel that it underestimates the one real reason that people come together to share the experience of sitting in the dark, togehter, to watch a movie. That of 'shared experience' which amplifies the emotional content of the movie.