Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

London people battle against Gentrification

London people battle against Gentrification & BTL profiteering

Time for the "hot spot" investor mob to move on?

Telegraph.co.uk - ‎4 hours ago‎
A café which serves only breakfast cereal was targeted anti-gentrification protesters wielding sticks, stones and flaming torches and wearing pig masks.
Anti_Gentrificatio_3455075b.jpg
Cereal killer serves killer cereal
Cereal_Killer_3455073b.jpg
Pigs support bacon sellers?
protesters_costume_3455081b.jpg

Don’t murder the Cereal Killers – we need people just like them How typically British to mock rather than praise the entrepreneurs in our midst

Cereal_cafe_3095868a.jpeg

Cereal Killer Cafe founders Alan and Gary Keery describe themselves as "cereal obsessives" Photo: cerealkillercafe.co.uk

6:10AM GMT 15 Dec 2014

comments.gif520 Comments

Ah, the great figures of the ancient Roman world. I know it is a hopeless anachronism, but I can’t help wondering what they would do if they were alive today. Where would they fit into modern Britain?

Julius Caesar, for instance: I can see him as the Italian dictator-manager of some Premier League football club. Cleopatra – she would be transfixing daytime TV with tales of her nose-job. Catullus would have a rock star’s grave, attended daily by weeping groupies.

What about the philosophers and the historians and the poets, all those whose genres of writing now look slightly old-fashioned? How would they be earning their crust? I am thinking in particular of the two brilliant contemporaries, Tacitus and Pliny the Younger. They knew each other; they wrote to each other; they were both avid for literary fame.

For that last reason, I am sure that they would have gravitated towards the glories of the modern media – and towards the most effective way of getting their names and indeed their faces before the public. Yes, I think we can be fairly certain that both of them would have been TV news reporters.

So let’s imagine that you have the privilege of being their editor. You are the boss of Pliny the Younger and Tacitus, the two thrusting hounds of the newsroom. And then let’s imagine it’s a slow news day, and the pair of them are prowling around – looking hungrily through the plate glass of your corner office, wondering whether you will send them on a story. Then something comes in. It’s about some new café in Shoreditch, in East London, called Cereal Killer – a place where they seem to be selling any kind of cereal you want, 120 varieties and 13 types of milk. Hmm, you say to yourself, as both Tacitus and Pliny leer through the glass, trying to catch your eye. Which shall you send on this one?

. . .

At the risk of vast generalisation, that tells us something about continuing differences in attitude and temperament between the two countries. The Americans like stuff that is broadly positive; the British love to be cynical. Of course, there is scope for both. It would be a sad day if we British stopped being cynical, but you sometimes wonder whether we overdo it.

As it happened, Channel Four indeed sent a reporter to cover the story of the Cereal Killer Café in Shoreditch – and he generally monstered the poor entrepreneurs. He was scathing about charging £2.50 minimum for a bowl of cereal; he mocked the proprietors – a gentle pair of bearded hipsters – for their pretensions to gentrify the area, and suggested that local people would not be able to eat there. He put the boot in, and I am not at all sure he was right to do so.

> more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11293491/Dont-murder-the-Cereal-Killers-we-need-people-just-like-them.html

The Cereal Killers know how to deal with Reptilians (like at least half the UK ruling class)

So why is the local community turning on them?

Sky News - ‎1 hour ago‎
Alan Keery, who owns a cafe attacked by anti-gentrification protesters on Saturday, tells Sky News he will not "bow down" to them.
shop-1-589x442.jpg
. . .

Mr Keery told Sky News: "It was just crazy. Two hundred people turned up with torches, throwing paint and stuff at the window.

"We had customers inside at the time. We had to barricade the doors with furniture because there were people trying to batter down the doors.

"There were kids in there at the time and everyone was pretty terrified."

He said he believed his cafe had been targeted as recent publicity had tagged his premises the "poster boy" for gentrification in the area.

The cafe charges between £2.50 and £5 for a bowl of cereal,...

. . .

"Do you know what: I'm not afraid of these people and using fear as a tactic is ridiculous. We are not going to bow down to them."

Police said the disorder began at about 8pm and lasted for several hours.

One man was arrested for criminal damage and an officer was injured by a thrown bottle.

Demonstrators also targeted several other businesses, including Marsh & Parsons estate agents, with activists seen on video trying to kick the glass in.

A page on social media to advertise the protest said: "We don't want luxury flats that no one can afford, we want genuinely affordable housing.

"We don't want pop-up gin bars or brioche buns, we want community."

Probably from the same aggressive-moronic mould as the idiots that attacked a pediatrician a couple of years back because they thought she was a child molester.

Dumbed down Britain - what a place to (not) be.

It's certainly not moronic to react to having been priced out of your homes and flats by greedy BTL's searching for the next great wheeze and yields. Maybe the people are simply waking up. Celente's when you lose everything, you lose it" springs to mind.

Come to think of it a "cereal bar" establishment is a fairlly naff idea. Japes.

Over 35 years I was looking at properties in Docklands. I rather liked one development which had a water feature - there was a small lake in the communal grounds. I never did buy in that area but bought a flat in the Barbican instead. Some years later I was walking along the river and saw that Docklands development again. The communal garden was full of dog poo. I guess the local people must have walked their dogs by the river and send them in to defecate in all these gardens to show their resentment of their children being priced out of their locality

Oh not you as well Jake. Priced out of your home town. Yes quite agree, been seeing it since the 70s, but attacking a non-chain cereal bar because it is symbolic? Seriously???

Probably from the same aggressive-moronic mould as the idiots that attacked a pediatrician a couple of years back because they thought she was a child molester.

Dumbed down Britain - what a place to (not) be.

Are they that different in Portugal?

^ Mostly, yes. Far better educated & politically aware. Carnation revolution? Look at the ones brave enough to overthrow the regime.

There's a lot of BTL properties in and around my city. I learned this from the engineer who comes to service my boiler. It seemed like every few months he would move to some place more to his liking. I think that market is saturated here and it's a renter's market.

^ Mostly, yes. Far better educated & politically aware. Carnation revolution? Look at the ones brave enough to overthrow the regime.

I hope they tell the politicos where to stick their austerity programs

You should teach your friends there about Bitcoin and gold and silver

I will be there in a few days so will report back.

I'm still seeking asylum in a non-police state, but not sure where; or if one exists; or who will have me! :)

Oh not you as well Jake. Priced out of your home town. Yes quite agree, been seeing it since the 70s, but attacking a non-chain cereal bar because it is symbolic? Seriously???

No, not me fortunately. But it could be.

I dont think it being a non chain cereal bar is the point. The point is that it is a stupid, facetious idea for an odd looking couple of beardos serving rice crispies for a fiver to morons who think its hip to stare at a load of cereal boxes and milk cartons when outside in the real world in that area people dont have the dosh for a square meal bought from a supermarket.

Is it any different than paying £3 - £4 for a coffee from starbucks or nero when you can get a jar from the supermarket for that?

I don't see anything wrong with it, most hotels around there charge £15 for breakfast so being able to nip down for a bowl of cereal for £3.50 doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Come to think of it a "cereal bar" establishment is a fairlly naff idea. Japes.

For people with "money to burn" - some of it collected from "squeezed" tenants perhaps.

But if you think about it, Starbucks overprices their coffee, but people go there to feel comfortable,

and meet and chat with friends - in some ways the "overpriced" coffee is subsidizing the place to sit.

When you don't have large homes, or a nice park to sit in, it is a necessary luxury for some

I see that Vicarious and I agree !!

DearBubb, I've been disabled. Can't update settings; tick the 'Like' box.

Have I offended ye?

I thought the 'evening harold' might have provoked a titter or three too :(

I know: check krypton factor. That is the latest trendy thing isn't it?

DearBubb, I've been disabled. Can't update settings; tick the 'Like' box.

Have I offended ye?

I thought the 'evening harold' might have provoked a titter or three too :(

I know: check krypton factor. That is the latest trendy thing isn't it?

Nothing changed by me.

I don;t think LIKE works for anyone, and I'm not sure why, to be honest

Thxs. I'll lower my paranoia setting, slightly.

Are the emoticons working for you?

For people with "money to burn" - some of it collected from "squeezed" tenants perhaps.

!!

I guess that coffee tastes lovely knowing it is money to burn collected from "squeezed" tenants?

Perhaps one day the boot will be on the other foot and the squeezers shall know what it feels like?

I've got nothing against Starbucks or Nero per se. Coffee roasts are delicious, in fact it's all I drink, coffee wise (here). But I wouldn't pay to sit with all the muppets and have a coffee there when I can relax at home. Depends what your priorities are. Nipping in for a bowl of expensive shreddies or coco pops isn't mine. Each to their own...while it lasts. Where would the UK be, after all, without coffee shops and estate agents? That's all there is these days for social fabric of the local High street. No wonder people will riot.

Over 35 years I was looking at properties in Docklands. I rather liked one development which had a water feature - there was a small lake in the communal grounds. I never did buy in that area but bought a flat in the Barbican instead. Some years later I was walking along the river and saw that Docklands development again. The communal garden was full of dog poo. I guess the local people must have walked their dogs by the river and send them in to defecate in all these gardens to show their resentment of their children being priced out of their locality

Gosh! I didn't imagine that CMJ used to be a prospectant yuppie...now a proper conspiracy theorist prepper.

Noone cares, I'd imagine, about the doggie doo because those homes are not owner occupied and the renters move someplace else when they have trod in enough shit or paid enough in rents for their liking. Or both.

I guess, Dr Bubb, Docklands doesn't qualify for Duarney's definition as a strong town...nor ever will? I wonder why? ( but I don't think it's got anything to do with British "cynicism")

Thxs. I'll lower my paranoia setting, slightly.

Are the emoticons working for you?

sorry. i dont really use them