Atmospheric water generator pulls and purifies

Summaries are nice:

"The technology was realized 20 years ago as a twist on the dehumidifier. The machine has evolved from a unit that looks like a small air conditioner to a machine similar in size to a water cooler. It runs on electricity, but Dutra said future units could run on solar cells or other independent power.

He believes the machines could replace bottled water and water coolers in homes and businesses, which use up natural resources in materials and transportation.

"This would be considered a green technology because you aren't getting water that has been transported from the spring, bottled, and transported to the store or your house," he said"

Interesting concept.

But I bet it eats alot of power to cool the air, and if you tried it in a boiling desert, where you really need it, you would probably find there is too little humidity in the air.

If I had made the invention, I would try to peddle it in Saudi Arabia, with Sun cells powering it

Interesting concept.

But I bet it eats alot of power to cool the air, and if you tried it in a boiling desert, where you really need it, you would probably find there is too little humidity in the air.

If I had made the invention, I would try to peddle it in Saudi Arabia, with Sun cells powering it

The machine could operate at night when the air is cooler, the water vapour more readily condensed. This would mean less power consumption from the batteries that could be solar charged during the day.

I have read reports of WW2 service men condensing water vapour inside empty oil drums while stranded in desert environments.

"The machine could operate at night when the air is cooler, the water vapour more readily condensed. This would mean less power consumption from the batteries that could be solar charged during the day. "

TRUE.

But the power loss would be large, since the efficiency of batteries is not that high

"The machine could operate at night when the air is cooler, the water vapour more readily condensed. This would mean less power consumption from the batteries that could be solar charged during the day. "

TRUE.

But the power loss would be large, since the efficiency of batteries is not that high

Yes batteries are inefficient. However, most domestic and small scale solar systems have large battery banks because much of the energy demand is after dark. If the device cannot perform its function during the hot day but can do so at night then its viability must surely depend on the cost per litre compared to importing.

What about other ways of storing potential energy from solar, other than batteries? Springs, wound by electric motors during peak output that unwind at night, could be used as a direct drive to the device, eliminating the need for electricity storage. Would the efficiency of the springs be any better?

Sure, yeah sorry - i kind of missed the point

What I meant was, surely there are easier and cheaper ways of producing clean water in places that really need them ?

Fine and dandy for offices and businesses in developed countries who want to save a buck, but if you are in the 3rd world and badly need clean drinking water it is unlikely you would have a juice outlet to plug this sucker into in the first place

Archived