Scouting Centenary Gold 50p Coin

Be prepared - to be ripped off...

for that price you can practically get a one ounce Kruger. Nice looking coin though.

TLM

After reading ABB's post that crossed my mind too, although as I know absolutely nothing about coins I assumed it was my ignorance.

I quite liked the look of this collection. Not just as an investment but as a collectors item

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/collectioncomplete24.html

Not a bad price too....£2777!.......oh hang on, that is the May 2001 price :angry:

The back of my fag packet says that this would cost around £9-10k now?

After reading ABB's post that crossed my mind too, although as I know absolutely nothing about coins I assumed it was my ignorance.

I quite liked the look of this collection. Not just as an investment but as a collectors item

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/collectioncomplete24.html

Not a bad price too....£2777!.......oh hang on, that is the May 2001 price :rolleyes:

The back of my fag packet says that this would cost around £9-10k now?

Hi Harvi, that's about what I reckoned for the one ounce set of coins. Could go for the smaller weights, but somehow it doesn't seem quite the same, does it? Easier on the pocket, though. Re the scouting 50p, my knowledge is also pretty limited, but it does seem way overpriced based purely on gold content. Maybe there's a clique of be-woggled gold bugs out there that will snap them up.

I like the look of the coins with the black backgrounds (assume that it isn't just a trick of the light), I wonder what they use, there's not much that reacts with good old inert gold, if I remember my chemistry right - maybe it's just a coating of some sort.

Re collecting, I always liked stamps better than coins. Guess I should take my childhood collection down to Stanley Gibbons and get it valued - I know I've got a few old original twopenny blues and penny reds lurking in there - no penny blacks, though. Maybe I'll start a stamps thread if i find anything valuable.

Cheers,

TLM

Re collecting, I always liked stamps better than coins. Guess I should take my childhood collection down to Stanley Gibbons and get it valued - I know I've got a few old original twopenny blues and penny reds lurking in there - no penny blacks, though. Maybe I'll start a stamps thread if i find anything valuable.

Cheers,

TLM

Off-topic, but have you seen the Stanley Gibbons share price in recent years? It has done well.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SGI.L

Maybe there's a clique of be-woggled gold bugs out there that will snap them up.

:o

I like the look of the coins with the black backgrounds (assume that it isn't just a trick of the light), I wonder what they use, there's not much that reacts with good old inert gold, if I remember my chemistry right - maybe it's just a coating of some sort.

I was wondering whether this was the actual coating or shading introduced by the website to display the design of the coin more effectively? Who cares really, I wont be buying any!

I too used to collect stamps as a kid and the pride of my collection was an old twopenny blue. In fact I used to show it to everyone I knew as it was my very best stamp and I was really proud if it.

With hindsight, this wasnt a good move really as someone eventually stole it!!!....grr

sorry, still off topic, but...

No.6, wow, SGI.L stock price up from below 20p in 2003 to £2 today - that's a pretty impressive gain. A bit more on the company recently from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...5/ccpoint15.xml

they certainly didn't do that well by giving punters top dollar when selling their collections - looks like there needs to be a bit more competition in the market.

Back on track - couldn't find much info on the black coating for the coins - could be a sintered nickel finish, or could just be an epoxy resin coating, as you say, Harvi, who really cares. Bummer on the 2d blue, a good lesson, though to keep your mouth shut about the gold bullion!

TLM

Archived