Turtles - Trend Following

Covell does his own podcast. I listen to selected guests.

http://www.trendfollowing.com/podcasts/

You cannot trust anyone in this business so on that basis not sure if he is just a salesman as am very unsure as to his links to the original Turtles and to his own actual trading activities. So there is your risk warning.

But he does have the occasional excellent guest look way back he had Jack Schwager twice, plus some of the original turtles. More recently Jim Rogers. And lots of just himself bigging himself up......

Inverviewee list is shown at that website for ease.

Been listening to some of these interviews. Good stuff.

I think anything with Jack Schwager is priceless... Although I also think there is much truth in the saying that that those who can do, those who can't write about it.

Here is a question:

Is it possible to be a trend following trader while also picking turns?

Can you be picking the bottom of short-term counter-trend corrections, or is a trend-follower someone who buys exclusively on strength?

Here is a question:

Is it possible to be a trend following trader while also picking turns?

Can you be picking the bottom of short-term counter-trend corrections, or is a trend-follower someone who buys exclusively on strength?

Would the answer not also lie in selecting price points? All stocks take breathers, the old saying nothing goes up(or down) in straight lines springs to mind. Even in a stock with strength, there is some exhaustion and pull back into charting channels.

If these break down, maybe a time to reassess, but channels can often be played following a trend and projecting turns as you go.

Would the answer not also lie in selecting price points? All stocks take breathers, the old saying nothing goes up(or down) in straight lines springs to mind. Even in a stock with strength, there is some exhaustion and pull back into charting channels.

If these break down, maybe a time to reassess, but channels can often be played following a trend and projecting turns as you go.

Been thinking about this, and conclude that: yes, you CAN buy on the counter-trend while still trend-trading with the main trend. The counter-trend just brings you closer to a point that would invalidate the main trend, but until that is reached then the main trend still holds.

However I also think that buying on the pullback should very much be the exception rather than the rule in trend trading. As a trend trader your goal should be buying strength and breakouts, not buying temporary weakness.

How + why you started. What you have tried and failed. A short summary of your journey to reach trend following and why it works for you..

excellent subject.

I don't know how others feel but for me I feel that:

- The premise of following the trend can exploit inefficient markets, providing you with the EDGE that you need as a trader

- It is far easier to build a quantitative system around trend trading, you know exactly where the get-out points are that invalidate your trade

- Trends ultimately seek to capitalize on human behaviour, so should work across all markets. As a trader this is important as not all markets are tradeable according to a selective strategy all of the time.

- Personally, trend trading feels much less like an emotional rollercoaster to me than trading on fundamentals or macro issues, because you are not placing your personal economic beliefs into your trading. Markets go up and down and trend traders don't care to question why, we are just interested in piggybacking along for the ride or taking a small loss and moving on if we are wrong and the trend reverses. I feel that this sort of emotional detachment will give you the best chance of sticking around for the long haul, as well as to be able to make money in both bull markets and bear markets.

Archived