Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

IxQuick to Search the Web - and GOOG won't be googling you

IxQuick to Search the Web - and GOOG won't be googling you

/link : http://IxQuick.com

Time to spread the word !

I saw this:

" Since the Googley Engine, the Yahoo(!) Machine and, evidently, most if not indeed all other Web search services have by now been quietly made-over into a BIG part of the Personal Privacy Problem all around the planet by our beloved ‘Fan Club’, I for one think others here might really appreciate the comprehensive Ixquick Privacy Policy too; the brief version takes less than ten seconds to read, leaving plenty of time for the “Oh WOW I WANT this!” that follows...."

That reminds me, we also have to ditch the old Gmail accounts if we care about privacy.

That reminds me, we also have to ditch the old Gmail accounts if we care about privacy.

Yeah, you're right, but what's the sensible replacement?

Always knew having a Gmail account would be a case of giving away (well, sharing (only with machines, not humans (don't underestimate the progress of the AI - we're all part of the Google Consciousness now))) a lot of one's personal life/info. But the convenience and usefulness is so, so, so seductive.

But that said Google are gits when it comes to forcing "progress" on its customers users (products! for its advertisers! we are not users we are products!) with overbearing and controversial systems changes.

Such is the cost of "free". To move away from Google to my other favourite internet monster for a wee moment... People wonder why I'm winding down my Facebook usage.

Facebook is a useful tool but it answers a problem that was never there in the first place (as does a lot of the internet I guess).

Why be connected to all the people you've met or done business with just for, er, the hell of it; that is, quite literally, to share nothing but the hell of the mundanity that each of us experiences individually? Just so our connectedness, and interests and passions, can be shared with marketing bast*rds to sell unnecessary sh1t to us?

Facebook at its worst definitely lowers positive vibrations and wastes time. At its best it's a useful social scheduler and a nice thing to use to keep in touch with friends. But Facebook's big problem is that we're all friends now, right? Right?? It's got to the point where it's politically questionable, dangerous even, to "unfriend" or even "block" so-called friends on Facebook because you may disagree with them ideologically or due to the inane content of their feed ("John Smith has won $2300 on Facebook Poker! Come play Facebook Poker!" sorta thing).

At least LinkedIn accepts my associates are 'connections' and not best buddies!

I suspect it's about time for the new wave of social networking. And I bet Google will do well (because of its breadth of services, despite its imperfections, but Google Plus is not the answer anymore than Microsoft Spaces helped with blogging movement - the coolness/awareness factor is of huge importance), Facebook should I think go the way of MySpace once its successor comes clear (may not have been invented yet), and I think Twitter will survive due to how simple it is at heart (express yrslf in 140 chrs!).

BUT going back on topic. We have to be careful who we share data with. Whether it's a good/evil corp, or a helpful individual or a "schill" - lots of room for trust/fear/paranoia issues here! :)

(Just who IS DrB??) ;-)

Yeah, you're right, but what's the sensible replacement?

... Facebook should I think go the way of MySpace once its successor comes clear (may not have been invented yet), and I think Twitter will survive due to how simple it is at heart (express yrslf in 140 chrs!).

BUT going back on topic. We have to be careful who we share data with. Whether it's a good/evil corp, or a helpful individual or a "schill" - lots of room for trust/fear/paranoia issues here! :)

(Just who IS DrB??) ;-)

I am not a fan of FB. So if it went the way of the Dodo Bird, then Hurray !

Another time-waster would be gone.

Who is DrB?

I think it is easy enough to find out. And anyone who visits regularly will have a pretty good idea about what my genuine views are. Do you get that from Google or Facebook? No. You get a sanitized Corporate PR person's explanations of their missions. You don't get the dirt - the connections with the CIA, or whatever. Still, don't give all your secrets away here or anywhere on the web.