Sign in to follow this  
Perishabull

The existing airline charging model is dead - once this catches on

BBC;

"Samoa Air boss defends charging passengers by weight

The head of Samoa Air has defended the airline's decision to start charging passengers according to their weight.

Chris Langton told Australia's ABC Radio that it was "the fairest way of travelling".

Rather than pay for a seat, passengers pay a fixed price per kilogram, which varies depending on the route length.

Samoa Air flies domestically and to American Samoa. It is thought the move could encourage other airlines to introduce similar policies.

"Airlines don't run on seats, they run on weight, and particularly the smaller the aircraft you are in the less variance you can accept in terms of the difference in weight between passengers," Mr Langton told ABC radio.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

People generally are bigger, wider and taller than they were 50 years ago”

Chris Langton

Samoa Air boss

"Anyone who travels at times has felt they have been paying for half of the passenger next to them."

Under the new model, Mr Langton described how some families with children were now paying cheaper fares.

"There are no extra fees in terms of excess baggage or anything - it is just a kilo is a kilo is a kilo," he said.

Air Samoa's rates range from $1 (65p) to around $4.16 per kilogram. Passengers pay for the combined weight of themselves and their baggage.

Mr Langton also suggested that the move had helped promote health awareness in Samoa, which has one of the world's highest levels of obesity.

"People generally are becoming much more weight conscious. That's a health issue in some areas," he told ABC Radio.

Mr Langton said he believed that charging by weight was "the concept of the future."

"People generally are bigger, wider and taller than they were 50 years ago," he said. "The industry will start looking at this."

Here here, about time too. I've always thought it was absurd that I could get nailed for going one kilo over on my baggage allowance whereas someone sitting next to me that is twice the weight they ought to be pays a normal fare. That ain't fair. The guys at Ryanair will be watching this very closely.

So the fairer sex (generally) pay less, too? I would have thought the airlines need as many bottoms on seats as possible.

Mind you some Samoans/Americans/others are so large they don't fit in one seat at all.

It might be a clever business strategy, since it would push the fatties onto flight run by competitors

Maybe there should be a bargain airline for short people, using smaller cabins

what about pregnant women?

Political correctness would advise against "penalising" them -

But also against penalising Fat people

- So this whole system would not work in a highly politically correct country

this is such an obvious price segmentation it's a wonder it's not already being done

what about pregnant women?

they still pay less that a man, typically

difference in weight of average UK male and female is 16.1kg

typical weight gain during pregnancy, even when fully pregnent, is 12.5kg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11534042

http://www.babycentr...in-in-pregnancy

Actually, any transportation company knows about the "Cube Out" problem.

That's when a vehicle's SPACE IS FILLED before it is too heavy.

"Cube out" is what is going to happen with the Samoan aircraft, I reckon :

The seats will be filled before the aircraft is too heavy

Actually, any transportation company knows about the "Cube Out" problem.

That's when a vehicle's SPACE IS FILLED before it is too heavy.

which is why passenger weight should be one of price segmentation atrributes, but probably not the only one.

"Cube out" is what is going to happen with the Samoan aircraft, I reckon :

The seats will be filled before the aircraft is too heavy

it may well be that Samoan's are so fat that the airline doesn't need to worry so much about cube out!

It's time these people who are unable to refrain from shoveling pies, crisps, cake and coke into their mouths whilst watching X factor with one hand down their trousers wake the **** up to reality.

There was a debate sometime ago whether doctors should drop the term 'obese' because some patients may find it offensive! FFS, I find it quite offensive that you could fit an entire ethiopian family inside of one of these people!!

Fat people are not fat anymore, they are "wasteline-challenged" (?), or maybe "gravity-challenged" (?):

Air France has seen the light in its pricing, but is struggling in finding the right name for these higher-priced customers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaimtCztqxc

"heavy passengers"

"plus persons"

"bigger persons"

Ricky Gervais is less inhibited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgIUYDToCNc

"Why do I get the same luggage allowance as a fat person?...

He used to his 32kg on his... "