Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

What comes after Language? (Mind accessing Mind more directly)

What comes after Language? (Mind accessing Mind more directly)?

The question I want to pose now is: What comes after language?

What's the next change in communication?

si_ben%20goertzel_272x173.jpg

Ben Goertzel:

My suggestion is simple but radical: In the future, the distinction between linguistic utterances and minds is going to dissolve.

In the not too distant future, a linguistic utterance is simply going to be a MIND with a particular sort of cognitive focus and bias.

I came up with this idea in the course of my work on the OpenCog AI system. OpenCog is an open-source software system that a number of us are building, with the goal of eventually turning it into an artificial general intelligence system with capability at the human level and beyond. We're using it to control intelligent video game characters, and next year we'll be working with David Hanson to use it to control humanoid robots.

What happens when two OpenCog systems want to communicate with each other?

They don't need to communicate using words and sentences and so forth. They can just exchange chunks of mind directly. They can exchange semantic graphs -- networks of nodes and links, whose labels and whose patterns of connectivity represent ideas.

But you can't just take a chunk of one guy's mind, and stick it into another guy's mind. When you're merging a semantic graph from one mind, into another mind, some translation is required -- because different minds will tend to organize knowledge differently. There are various ways to handle this.

===

/more: http://multiverseacc...en.blogspot.hk/

...you can't just take a chunk of one guy's mind, and stick it into another guy's mind. When you're merging a semantic graph from one mind, into another mind, some translation is required -- because different minds will tend to organize knowledge differently. There are various ways to handle this.

Hmm...

That is said to be how telepathy works : Through the exchange of symbols, representing the whole thought.

Here are two symbols that I invented...

alien1du.png

Can you work out want they mean?

(Hint: they mean something different when put together, than when separately.)

1] The excellence of the machine is efficiency. It can also be applied to economy. But it is de-humanizing when applied to people. There are quite other ideals involved with the pursuit of personal excellence.

2] Besides enabling us to communicate, language serves as signs for the ideal; it provides a window on reality. Language will always be a little 'messy' and ambiguous simply because meaning, what is signified, transcends the signs.

3] Comparing the mind to a computer is just the latest in a long series of muddled attempts to explain mind by the most developed form of technology.

Sapere aude

" Comparing the mind to a computer is just the latest in a long series of muddled attempts to explain mind by the most developed form of technology."

Sapere aude

I agree.

(And that's an excellent quote, BTW !)

To me:

The brain is hardware (like a radio receiver - to some extent) that allows consciousness to manifest within a body.

But the consciousness itself exists beyond the body.

When you observe successful psychic phenomena like Remote Viewing, what is going on?

Consciousness is accessing its wider-ranging presence, to "see" things far away - even in different time frames.

Isn't that evidence that consciousness is not confined to a single brain, or a single body?

Those who want to graft a brain onto a machine may find that they lose all or nearly all the human consciousness

that they are trying to expand.

(Incidentally, Goetzel lives in HK, and he is involved in a project that also involves an old friend.

I hope to meet them one day to hear more about their idea of establishing a Hedge Fund, run using

AGI - Artificial General Intelligence technology. It sounds like a fascinating project.)

(I think that researchers in the area of AGI are vaguely aware that Consciousness exists

beyond the brain. They are probing in the direction of realising this - as per this interview.)

Ben Goertzel interviews Natasha Vita-More

Dr_Ben_Goertzel-150x150.jpg : nvm-for-hplus.jpg

By: Ben Goertzel, Natasha Vita-More

Published: January 18, 2013:

http://hplusmagazine...asha-vita-more/

EXCERPT:

Ben: There is a very rich and deep interplay between the human body and the human mind and self, as you know. I very much enjoyed your conceptual and graphical “Primo Posthuman” design for a functionally and aesthetically upgraded cyborg body. Let’s suppose, hypothetically, that we were able to port a human mind from a legacy human body into a body with a diverse physical substrate, such as your original Primo Posthuman, or any newer version of the concept. How do you think this would affect the self-system of that mind, and its ways of thinking? Do you think it could effect a radical personality transformation, so much that it would hardly be the same “psychological person” after as before? Or would the changes be more subtle? Or do you reckon it would depend strongly on the individual?

Natasha: Exploring new environments affects our sense of self and either adds to our level of confidence or breaks it down, the latter due largely to unintended circumstances and stresses that cause reticence and confusion. Nevertheless, we continue to explore and challenge our sense of self. If we port a human mind into a platform diverse body like Primo Posthuman, we have to also transport other aspects of the brain, which include the central nervous system and an array of sensorial experiences. These memories provide some sense of familiarity to our personhood. Without these aspects, we could become mentally discombobulated and split off into varied personas that could experience types of uneasiness or in some cases, psychosis. All in all, continuity of identity, or a diachronic self, is crucial for a future human mind encapsulated in a new body. My view is that we can change who we are by changing our focus, environment, skill set, attitude, etc. and transforming our personality with a proactive strategy. It is not easy and it takes work, but it is doable.

But let’s take the scenario of a mind transfer into a nonbiological platform: In order to do this, the engineering of identity transfer needs to be far more advanced. Not only this, it must be more transdisciplinary– it is not just an advance in technology but also an advance in our consciousness – our awareness of this field and how it affects us. So, in short, the bandwidth of information about mind transfer/identity transfer would have to build a broader arena for discussions for understanding and encourage corresponding fields such as experience design to be on board. For example, experience design would become a major player in providing an “experience” of what it might be like to be in a different body.