Gold and Stock market corrections?

silverharp

If there is a servere correction in the main stock markets say >10% how does physical gold react during such an event. Say after 87', 97 and the like. either gold benefits as a safe haven, or given that hedge funds tend to come under stress during financial dislocations, they may be forced to sell profitable gold positions to cover other margins? any thoughts

They might not let the bulls out

the bears are well in control on stocks.

margin calls may drive gold stocks lower - but they have sold some relative strength

They might not let the bulls out

the bears are well in control on stocks.

margin calls may drive gold stocks lower - but they have sold some relative strength

Bullion seems to be holding, currently around 675.

Frank Barnera is seeing grim times for everything except gold and "possibly" oil stocks:

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/wrapup.htm

Oil majors also seem to be affected by a relatively small amount down. Some of the juniors are actually up.

Is now perhaps a good buying time on gold and oil as investors go for quality. Or should we let the dust settle?

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone explain this further? With the world economy showing signs of stress, it would makes sense for me to transfer my capital to gold until the markets quietened down...but i see gold is quite stable although not jumping up to much, is this becasue investors prefer cash in these scenarios??

From what I have been reading, there will be another market correction, - a big fall that will take down gold and oil once more. Then perhaps will be the time to buy.

Gold future is a whopping 80 points up now, - im very tempted to do a put on it since i reckon it will fall early next week.

• 3 weeks later...
From what I have been reading, there will be another market correction, - a big fall that will take down gold and oil once more. Then perhaps will be the time to buy.

Gold future is a whopping 80 points up now, - im very tempted to do a put on it since i reckon it will fall early next week.

For better or worse, Im counting bullion as “cash” in my portfolios. Bullion, not shares. And Im heavy cash of all types. I too am expecting a hic-cup much more ferocious than Feb 28 (a la Fabers comments early January), and I expect all equities including gold equities to fall in sympathy. When the dust settles this will be a buy opp I intend to fully exploit like a child let loose in sweetshop :)

I too am expecting a hic-cup much more ferocious than Feb 28 (a la Fabers comments early January), and I expect all equities including gold equities to fall in sympathy. When the dust settles this will be a buy opp I intend to fully exploit like a child let loose in sweetshop :)

Ditto. I always have some cash ready to buy on the corrections. Thus far stocks have always bounced back and it has been an easy way to make around 3 to 5%, sell then wait for the next one. It helps to have a definite plan, so if the market fell 5% tomorrow what would you buy ?

Ditto. I always have some cash ready to buy on the corrections. Thus far stocks have always bounced back and it has been an easy way to make around 3 to 5%, sell then wait for the next one. It helps to have a definite plan, so if the market fell 5% tomorrow what would you buy ?

DP, 5% is not big enough. We need fear. At only 5% is would depend on the particular stock. I'd like to recommend HF, but it's doubled since mid-Jan. I like agric commodity companies generally, almost as much as uranium. For uranium, MGA is a keeper, bought some ASX today (speculative bigtime). All TSX stocks. I'm looking for a real thumpin 10%+ down across the board before I'd get v interested here, an opp for wholesale portfolio re-adjusting.

Archived