Uranium Price

Macaque

longest "straight up move" in any commodity in a long, long time.

the lack of any correction is impressive, but remember, this isn't a market with much liquity.

It lacks the diversity of buyers and sellers, atht tends to create tw-way price movement.

I reckon it is a short-squeeze which went into its blow-up phase, when Cameco's shutdown due to a flood,

caught people with contract obligations they were unable to meet, and they have had to enter the physical

market, and pay whatever price was offered.

Blow-off moves like that, tend to be followed by very sharp corrections

I'm a nuclear engineer and can confirm that the nuclear revival is for real !!

There are currently not enough staff around to cope with the amount of new plants being ordered or planned. Before you build plants you have to secure the fuel supply. So, with concerns over global warming and lack of oil the demand has shot up but it takes many years for the U supply to increase. All this is discussed in interview on minesite, the links can be found on this site.

Knowing this enabled me to get into the uranium mining stocks relatively early. I stopped buying this year and U stocks currently make up a large percent of my portfolio so im watching nervously.

Be aware that the spot price is relatively easy to manipulate. Most U is not sold on the open market and hedge funds and other speculators are moving into the area.

Other things that could reduce the U price:

+ Release of highly enriched U from government sources (ie bomb material from decommissioned war heads)

+ New mines being approved in the Australia which has very large reserves.

If your looking at uranium stocks then be careful:

Many small companies are trying to get into this area, some even renaming themselves to highlight uranium.

Most of the explorers may not be around in a few years if the price falls.

Some of the low deposits require a sustained high U price to be profitable.

I would buy near term producers who can take advantage of the current price. Cameco, BHP and the big boys have sold their production many years in advance at "low" prices from a few years ago. With the small explorers I think many will disappear when the price falls but maybe you will get lucky and pick a star. Pick with care and avoid any that require a sustained U price above $50.

On a related theme I've just bought British Energy shares again today.

longest "straight up move" in any commodity in a long, long time.

the lack of any correction is impressive, but remember, this isn't a market with much liquity.

It lacks the diversity of buyers and sellers, atht tends to create tw-way price movement.

I reckon it is a short-squeeze which went into its blow-up phase, when Cameco's shutdown due to a flood,

caught people with contract obligations they were unable to meet, and they have had to enter the physical

market, and pay whatever price was offered.

Blow-off moves like that, tend to be followed by very sharp corrections

Could Uranium suffer the same fate as some other rare commondities. Ruthenium is a metal with some interesting applications. The problem is that as soon as someone finds a good use for it (e.g. as a catalyst) the price screams up and it ceases to be of economic value.

Could Uranium suffer the same fate as some other rare commondities. Ruthenium is a metal with some interesting applications. The problem is that as soon as someone finds a good use for it (e.g. as a catalyst) the price screams up and it ceases to be of economic value.

No.

Not unless the price goes to $500.

The fuel cost is a very small part of the overall electricity price from nuclear generation.

Most is in the capital cost of the plant.

Have a look at this -> http://www.uic.com.au/neweconomics.pdf

No.

Not unless the price goes to $500.

The fuel cost is a very small part of the overall electricity price from nuclear generation.

Most is in the capital cost of the plant.

Have a look at this -> http://www.uic.com.au/neweconomics.pdf

Scarce commodities have a habit of making themselves a cost consideration. We have seen a 1200% rise in 6 years. Whats to stop it rising another 600%?

In the short term i guess it could rise 600% but Uranium isnt that rare.

Have a look at this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Relativ...of_elements.png

As new mines open the price would fall.

In the extreme case that everyone wants nukes you could even breed fissile Pu239 from U238 or switch to Thorium like India is doing.

Interesting link but it is a bit like hydrogen in the Universe. There's plenty around but not much of it is useful.

Interesting link but it is a bit like hydrogen in the Universe. There's plenty around but not much of it is useful.

The point I was trying to make is that Uranium is not that rare and much more abundant than Ru, Ir, Au etc.

If the price increases by a huge amount i can see governments making it a strategic resource.

This link is about uranium as well -> http://cheetah.fileburst.com/minesite/prog7-uranium-3.mp3

The point I was trying to make is that Uranium is not that rare and much more abundant than Ru, Ir, Au etc.

If the price increases by a huge amount i can see governments making it a strategic resource.

This link is about uranium as well -> http://cheetah.fileburst.com/minesite/prog7-uranium-3.mp3

Making something a strategic resource does not make it easier to isolate.

Some of the U-stocks got it hard yesterday.

This may be the start of the correction that I have been looking for.

But I will wait a couple of weeks before putting the score at: Bubb-1 , Dines-0

= =

I will move this thread to the Energy Section within a few days-

assuming no one objects to that

• 1 month later...

hang on to your hats

URA - uranium resources. 5 bagger in under 6 months

http://www.sharecrazy.com/share2607share/s...re&epic=URA

VML - vane minerals - aquisitions on uranium

http://www.sharecrazy.com/share2607share/s...re&epic=VML

big moves in the uranium stocks - doh wish i was in these too...

uranium $90 a lbs

• 2 years later...
The price of Uranium in 2000 was $7 per pound. On February 21st it hit $85 per pound. Interesting trend!

It's climb and fall was unexpected. I see a bottom. When Cameco's Chief Executive Jerry Grandey said ‘It’s tight’.

But Bloomberg says ‘Uranium price to remain below 2007, 2008 averages,’ it's got to be ready to explode. Nothing comes out of Bloomberg correct.

New plants all over the USA are being built to refine U3O8 into pellets for the reactors. Let me think, it takes yellowcake to start the plant off. It's at $40 bucks a pound now, at the middle of April 09. I'll give it two to three months to start moving up. Uranium is the only metal used as a fuel.

Archived