Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Buxton, England : Has anyone been there ?

... Bakewell, and other cities in the Peak District

================================

I am think of going here on Holiday - has anyone been ?

Does it merit a visit ?

english-railway-travel-art-poster-print-buxton-england-the-mountain-spa-by-lms-381-p.jpg

Buxton is a spa town in Derbyshire, England. It has the highest elevation of any market town in England.[1] Located close to the county boundary with Cheshire to the west and Staffordshire to the south, Buxton is described as "the gateway to the Peak District National Park".[1] A municipal borough until 1974, Buxton was then merged with other localities including Glossop, lying primarily to the north, to form the local government district and borough of High Peakwithin the county of Derbyshire. Buxton is within the sphere of influence of Greater Manchester due to its close proximity to the area.

Buxton is home to Poole's Cavern, an extensive limestone cavern open to the public, and St Ann's Well, fed by the geothermal spring bottled and sold internationally by Buxton Mineral Water Company. Also in the town is the Buxton Opera House, which hosts several music and theatre festivals each year. The Devonshire Campus of the University of Derby is housed in one of the town's historic buildings.

/wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buxton

englandDerbyshire_broadWalkBuxton.jpg

On our ramble around the Peak District, we skirted the handsome town of Buxton. In spite of its proximity to the Peak District, it has been excluded from the national park. This exclusion is due to the massive quarries that surround it, not that you would realise this at the town's heart. In the recent past, Buxton was a prominent spa town, though not quite as successful as Harrogate or Bath. The result of this is the pleasant architecture and public amenities to be enjoyed there to this day. It should be a place worth visiting then.

/see: http://www.johnhenne.../england_buxton

If you like typical rolling hills of England, beer and northerners then yes.

Pretty Spa town, Peak District it will be lovely at this time of year.

A lovely place: deliciously nostalgic for a previous age of elegance. There will be a delightful fresh autumn smell at this time of year.

It does look beautiful - reminds me a bit of Bath, one of my favorite places

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgR53shJ7TY

Buxton,Derbyshire,Peak District,18th,May,2011,England.Buxton is a spa town,the highest elevated market town in England.Featured are Pavilion Gardens,Opera House.High Peak local government district.Poole's Cavern is a local attraction.Buxton was built around the River Wye.The Old Hall Hotel is one of the oldest buildings in Buxton.Cultural events take place at the Opera House.Tropical plants are housed in the conservatory at Pavilion Gardens.

But we might need a translator

Here's another possibility: Bakewell

Looks charming too

It's a lovely town. The hills round there are beautiful.It can get severe weather when the rest of the country doesnt as it's high up.

If you're in the area I think the snake pass (A57) drive between Manchester and Sheffiled is lovely to drive. It's high and windy, some people hate it as it can be dangerous but I think it is stunning.

It's a lovely town. ...it's high up.

Thanks for the comment.

The "high up" part, is definitely part of the attraction, as I want to compare it with mountainous parts of the USA

" It has the highest elevation of any market town in England" - that stuck in my mind

I have visited Buxton and Bakewell several times. Both are OK but I wouldn't recommend anyone spending a say a week there unless I knew they liked a lot of walking.

I see them more as day trip material.

Hmm.

I wanted to go by train (from London), but that does not seem possible.

It might be possible to go via:

+ Manchester (MAD) : 2hr 8 mins from London*, or

+ Macclesfield (MAC) : 1hr 51 mins from London, or

+ Stockport (STP) : 2hr 00 mins from London, Euston

(Stockport is the major station between Macclesfield and Manchester)

But that seems very inefficient, so I suppose we will rent a car, or go elsewhere.

I was a little surprised, since I saw there was a railway station in Buxton

I also established that the Rail link to Bakewell has been abandoned -

It only goes as far as Rowsley. A pity - since I like train journeys

=====

*In edit: I see there are regular trains from Manchester to Buxton, taking just over 1 hr

Edit#2, It is better to go through Stockport, according to this very useful website:

http://www.traveline...2#tripSelector1

By Coach, it takes just under 5 Hours - so the train appears to be faster

Nice area. Would recommend the Lake District myself although that would be an even longer train journey.

Bubb UK train service does not compare to China nor even continental Europe, you should know this by now with the various UK is doomed/rubbish threads on GEI !

On the other hand UK does this sort of thing quite well - at a price !

http://ukrailtours.com/tourshow.asp?tourtype=excursion_trains

I've never been to the Peak District before, and I want to see what life is like in England at over 300m above Sealevel

But beware the announcer at Crewe, totally incomprehensible - my father changes at Crewe to get to Ludlow - another truly wonderful English town.

Hmm.

I wanted to go by train (from London), but that does not seem possible.

It might be possible to go via:

+ Manchester (MAD) : 2hr 8 mins from London*, or

+ Macclesfield (MAC) : 1hr 51 mins from London, or

+ Stockport (STP) : 2hr 00 mins from London, Euston

(Stockport is the major station between Macclesfield and Manchester)

But that seems very inefficient, so I suppose we will rent a car, or go elsewhere.

I was a little surprised, since I saw there was a railway station in Buxton

I also established that the Rail link to Bakewell has been abandoned -

It only goes as far as Rowsley. A pity - since I like train journeys

=====

*In edit: I see there are regular trains from Manchester to Buxton, taking just over 1 hr

Edit#2, It is better to go through Stockport, according to this very useful website:

http://www.traveline...2#tripSelector1

By Coach, it takes just under 5 Hours - so the train appears to be faster

If you're going to the Peak district I would recomment a car not train. You will be stuck in towns if you go by train and will miss the best parts. Pay a visit to Dove Dale while you're there. There is some interesting mining history in the national park.

... Bakewell, and other cities in the Peak District

================================

I am think of going here on Holiday - has anyone been ?

Does it merit a visit?

Dr B

Been there and across that part of the Peak plenty of times, not too far from me, could write you plenty, just P.M me with any questions. If you let me know what sort of digs you want, might even recommend a few, don't expect 5 star Dorchester :lol:

Was in the peak district walking up Kinder Scout, last Saturday, lovely day no clouds.

I would recommend a car as there are a lot of nice towns and countryside to see in the Peak District itself, you would not be far from Yorkshire either.

Edale is a good walking starting point and has lots of suggestions on where to go walking.

Buxton would be a good base to explore other places from...

Bit further south in the dales is Dovedale, Thor's cave etc (very nice area) and a great pub, the BentltyBrook Inn, that brews it's own beers. (Leatherbritches)

http://leatherbritches.co.uk/brewery.html

They used to host a fantastic Beer and Blues festival each year (just take your tent, or book a room in the pub) that we used to travel down to, to meet up with all our friends who'd travel up from my home town (before we all had kids). Don't knoiw if it's still on?

Very friendly, great beer/food (and music during the festival).

Passed through Buxton at night on the way to nearby Edale to go camping. Buxton as far as I could make out appeared a very nice northern town, but difficult to judge at nightime!

To the north is a lovely part of the world known as Edale,where me and some friends camped out:

http://www.edale-valley.co.uk/

But beware the announcer at Crewe, totally incomprehensible - my father changes at Crewe to get to Ludlow - another truly wonderful English town.

Ludlow is very nice, also nearby, Ironbridge, Shrewsbury and Market Drayton / Long Mynd.

Some of those places are like modern day life has passed them by. I'm from the outskirts of Birmingham and the surrounding countryside, it always surprises me how different is it that part of the world, only really an hours drive away.

I've never been to the Peak District before, and I want to see what life is like in England at over 300m above Sealevel

When are you planning to visit Buxton and surroundings? As JD mentioned, it's a very nice place but certain activities are very weather permitting and you would benefit from having a plan "B". I live 15 miles away from the place, please, feel free to drop me a PM if you would like some suggestions. It might be a better idea to rent a car as there are very many nice little places around that are very hard to reach using trains & buses. Buxton on its own is unlikely to take more than a day of your time.

I haven't spent much time there over the past five years, but I spent the first 20 years of my life there, and my mother only moved away five years ago. I'd say you definitely need a car and a taste for cagoules and walking boots to get the most of that area. You can get off the London train at Stockport, and the Buxton train runs from there (via a lot of small stops) into the town right near the Palace Hotel shown in the YouTube clip above. But once you're there it won't take long to cover the best bits. Maybe a day. Maybe less, especially if it's raining.... which it does a *lot*. :-) So as already suggested, weather can make or break a holiday in that area.

As a place to base yourself it's not bad though. Heading off towards Bakewell/Matlock will satisfy anyone who likes a bit of fresh air and scenic towns/villages, and if it's peeing down & you have good shoes, a trip down one of the mines at Castleton is an unusual change of scenery. Speedwell's interesting if it still has the boat ride. Not one for the claustrophic, or maybe tall Americans though. Miners were a bit shorter in those days. :-)

The Bamford/Hope/Hathersage area is nice (as mentioned above, a lot of towns in that area are very "traditional"), and of course Chatsworth House is one of the best stately homes in the UK. If you find that kind of thing interesting you can easily spend a whole day there.

A drive in the Macclesfield direction can give spectacular views over the Cheshire plain (and the radio telescope at Jodrell Bank), especially if the weather's a bit dramatic, but not if the cloud comes down, in which case all you'll see is the end of your nose.

Um... thinks. There's a nice drive (or a crippling bike ride!) over Long Hill around Errwood reservoir and up towards the Cat & Fiddle inn on the Macclesfield road. But that's better early in the year when the rhododendrons are out. And there's nice view from the Solomon's Temple folly which overlooks the town after a fairly steep, muddy walk up from Poole's Cavern (another place to visit on a wet day). But I think I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel now. It's a lovely area at many times of year, but it's also a bleak, cold, and gloomy area on a bad day, especially in the depths of autumn. But then you've lived in the UK, and that's true of just about everywhere. So you already know the risks. :-)

I really ought to be able to point you at decent places to eat and pubs to visit, but those kind of things have never really featured in my life very much. I'm more of a mug of tea and beans on toast kind of person. But hopefully some of this is useful anyway. All I know is It's made me homesick... I was only up in Macclesfield last week, and getting on the train south again always makes me feel like I'm heading the wrong way.

I am glad that I started this thread, because I have learned more about an interesting place that I want to visit someday.

(Also the posters here, including some infrequent ones< have been a real wealth of information - Thanks everbody. I should probably start threads like this about otehr places in Britain, such as : Bath, Chicester, Cities in Wales, and even Scotland. )

As it happens, we shall probably not go to Buxton on this trip, for various reasons, But thanks again, And I hope this thread proves useful to others.)