Sign in to follow this  
halight

Yorkshire's Robinson Crusoe: At home on Moyenne

By 'eck! It's Yorkshire's Robinson Crusoe:

A Brit who bought a cut-price island in the Seychelles 50 years ago

... and still lives in blissful solitude with 120 giant tortoises

moyenneisland.jpg

A sprightly 86-year-old bought Seychelles island for £8,000 in 1962

When he bought Moyenne, it was overgrown with scrub so dense that coconuts could not fall to the ground

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135299/Brit-bought-cut-price-island-Seychelles-50-years-ago--lives-blissful-solitude.html#ixzz1tAMtKANW

===========================================================================================

Hi all,

I came across this today. I hope that as many of you as can will read this story.

I think its great. Id love to be brave enough to do what he has done with his life.

Anyway enjoy the story.

-----------------------------

Dr Bubb, Can this story stay in main a for a few days ? then you can move it or delete as you please. :)

Dr Bubb, Can this story stay in main a for a few days ? then you can move it or delete as you please. :)

I will leave it for a few hours, to see if anyone comments.

Had you not asked, I might have moved it already. I do think that people are a little touchy right now on such threads. If we had more quality threads being started (and there are some - but not a huge number), then I would be more tolerant towards the frivolous ones. But they can sometimes inspire a bit of humor.

I think you might have titled this differently, like:

"Is this taking the Safe Haven idea too far?"

(as a second title perhaps)

I would like to know, what it is about this story that appeals to you?

I do sometimes find myself trying to "rescue" some of the new threads by changing to title, or the focus

PRESERVING A HAVEN ? He bought it in 1962

Day-trippers are allowed to visit from Mahe for £10 each.

Brendon has a strict rule that no one is allowed to stay overnight, but some visitors try to linger a little longer.

A Saudi prince once offered him a blank cheque for Moyenne, and other rich visitors have also been so entranced they’ve tried to buy it on the spot. But Brendon certainly isn’t selling.

‘The only reason someone would want to buy this island is to build a big hotel,’ he said.

Yes, of course he wants to keep his hideaway pristine, but perhaps he still has hopes of finding the pirate treasure rumoured to be buried somewhere on the island.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135299/Brit-bought-cut-price-island-Seychelles-50-years-ago--lives-blissful-solitude.html#ixzz1tBppfZbc

If some of the possible Earth Changes that many have speculated about occur,

he may find himself "underwater on his investment."

BTW, I think that Sean David Morton is looking for an island somewhere on which to launch an experiment in political sovereignty

The whole Doc

This is Brendon Grimshaw's love story with Moyenne Island. We decided to distribute it openly so that his story may be known to as many people as possible and so that we may thank him in our thoughts and in our hearts while he is still alive. Brendon has provided us with an example of why not all hope is loss in what at times seems an overwhelmingly mad world...

Worth watching!

There's plenty to do on the island

You can talk to a Coconut, for example.

There's plenty to do on the island

You can talk to a Coconut, for example.

I thought Tom Hanks was often chatting to a ball he named "Wilson".

I thought Tom Hanks was often chatting to a ball he named "Wilson".

He was lucky.

The Ball arrived with him.

In less ideal circumstances, one might be left with a coconut.

This might look boring ... if you haven't spent 50 years on a deserted island.

He was lucky.

The Ball arrived with him.

In less ideal circumstances, one might be left with a coconut.

This might look boring ... if you haven't spent 50 years on a deserted island.

Yes indeed, but I think I rather have conversations with coconuts in place of that tooth removal scene

I will leave it for a few hours, to see if anyone comments.

Had you not asked, I might have moved it already. I do think that people are a little touchy right now on such threads. If we had more quality threads being started (and there are some - but not a huge number), then I would be more tolerant towards the frivolous ones. But they can sometimes inspire a bit of humor.

I think you might have titled this differently, like:

"Is this taking the Safe Haven idea too far?"

(as a second title perhaps)

I would like to know, what it is about this story that appeals to you?

I do sometimes find myself trying to "rescue" some of the new threads by changing to title, or the focus

Thanks,

Iv start a daily/blog/thread to post stuff like this in from now on.

I love the idea of what he has done. Its the sort of person that he must be really that got me. Being on a small island like that most people would go made within a few months.

Thanks,

Iv start a daily/blog/thread to post stuff like this in from now on.

I love the idea of what he has done. Its the sort of person that he must be really that got me. Being on a small island like that most people would go made within a few months.

Okay.

Maybe you could call it: "Halight's Strange Universe" or something like that

It does seem like a lonely existence, unless you really like turtles

Looks like a great idea if you can get permission for a couple of extra log cabins to rent as holiday home accomodation. Looking at the comments above however that seems the last thing he would be interested in!

Interesting from the human iinterest point of view.

Wonder if he talks to the Turtles / Animals like Dr Doolittle - expect he does....wonder if he hears ansers also :D

His Man-Friday has passed away.

And it must be very lonely for him now.

I reckon he might rent a cabin to the "right guy"