Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Does anyone read Thom Calandra's Blog ?

medium-1321929112.png

thomcalandra

Bio: Thom is a private investor and a writer.

==========

I will be meeting Thom for next weekend, and will try to pass on questions that people might have

==========

thomcalandra :

on biotech end: bcrx$ missing in action this flu season?

Dec. 2 at 7:11 AM thomcalandra

still to purchase among metals equities: riverstone resources $RVS.CA ... more solvista

Dec. 2 at 7:10 AM thomcalandra

I Bought today: Added to Scorpio Gold $SGN.CA and Xtra-Gold $XTG.CA $XTGR. Both are clients of www.babybulls.com, www.torreyhillscapital.com

Dec. 2 at 5:00 AM thomcalandra

Global Equity Indexes Fall 15% In 1 Day? Say, Friday Or Monday? Yes. Fiscal, geopolitical and Mideast terror are likely drivers for selloff.

Dec. 2 at 4:58 AM thomcalandra

Metals equities green on screen: Silver -- $EXK, $FSM, $AG

/source: http://stocktwits.com/thomcalandra

SEC complaint

In January 2004, Calandra resigned from Marketwatch after an internal probe into his trading activities that followed an SEC request for data on personal stock trades and e-mail messages.[4] A year later, the SEC accused him of "scalping": selling stocks shortly after his investment newsletter's positive recommendations of the stocks caused their prices to rise, without disclosing the sales. In 2005, Calandra settled the charges, without admitting or denying the allegations.

The SEC said that "[...] Calandra made over $400,000 in illegal profits through a practice known as "scalping" — buying shares of thinly-traded, small-cap companies, writing highly favorable newsletter profiles recommending the companies to his newsletter subscribers, and then selling the majority of his shares when the increased demand generated by his favorable columns drove up the stock price."[5]

The SEC said that from March to December 2003, Calandra made over $400,000 through buying shares of 23 different small-cap stocks while writing favorable newsletter profiles recommending the stocks, and then selling the his shares after the stocks rose after his columns were published. The SEC also accused Calandra of failing to disclose that he was compensated from a stock promoter affiliated with two companies that he profiled.

"In addition to his scalping transactions, Calandra received undisclosed consideration in the form of substantially-discounted stock from two companies that he profiled in TCR (The Calandra Report), Goldmarca and IMC Ventures. Calandra purchased discounted shares in Goldmarca and IMC Ventures from a Canadian stock promoter that Calandra knew was associated with both companies. On October 28, 2003, Calandra purchased 155,000 shares of Goldmarca at $0.23 per share, a 39% discount from the market price of $0.38 per share. Similarly, he purchased 70,000 shares of IMC Ventures on the same day, at the discounted price of $0.37 per share, a 59% discount off of the company's market price of $0.91 per share.

Calandra then provided the companies with positive publicity in TCR. He wrote on multiple occasions about both Goldmarca and IMC Ventures, but never disclosed his receipt of discounted shares to his readers.

Calandra sold the majority of his shares of Goldmarca and IMC Ventures immediately after touting the companies in TCR, making total profits of $52,022.75 and $61,496, respectively." [6] [7]

The SEC said in a statement that Calandra "betrayed his readers' trust" by using his newsletter to engage in trading profits. "Calandra's readers were entitled to know about his trading activity, so that they could evaluate the credibility and impartiality of Calandra's investment advice for themselves," SEC District Administrator Helane Morrison said in a statement.[8]

I heard of that case, and I can recall reading Thom's columns back then.

In fact, I got some useful ideas from those old columns, and I think his ideas were well-supported by facts and were not pure ramping. Whatever the problem was, Thom is past it now, lessons learned.

Friends in London have put Thom in touch with me, and they speak well of him.

Whatever the problem was, Thom is past it now, lessons learned.

Dear Bubb. One is in awe of your insight into the mind of someone you have never met

Dear Bubb. One is in awe of your insight into the mind of someone you have never met

That is based on what my friend has said, and also an email response to the above:

"have to ackbowledge all that sec material ... part of the fabric now i guess"

(here's Thom's latest):

Thom Calandra: Four Actions to Take Right Now

December 2, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO – This is one of those “Things You Must Do Before The New Year.”

Here at Torrey Hills Capital’s Baby Bulls, I am altering that hackneyed come-on to this: Four Actions For Right Now. (Whose New Year are we talking about, anyway?)

1. Buy low. Tax-loss selling season has driven more than several metals equities to prices not seen since 2009. These include Platinum Group Metals (PLG and T.PTM), Great Basin Gold (GBG and T.GBG), Great Panther Silver (GPL and T.GPR) and Canaco Resources (V.CAN). I own all four, and there are others in my portfolio that are depressed and deserve a look-see, including Golden Valley Mines (V.GZZ), Solvista (V.SVV) and Gold Standard Ventures (V.GV). (See portfolio holdings link below.) PLG, GZZ, GV and GPL are investor-outreach clients of Torrey Hills Capital – meaning the firm, including me, can benefit if stock options we have received in payment for services rise in value. (All photos Thom Calandra)

/ see: http://babybulltwits.wordpress.com/category/thom-calandra/

By coincidence, I have been watching (even buying in one case) some of these myself

That is based on what my friend has said, and also an email response to the above:

"have to ackbowledge all that sec material ... part of the fabric now i guess"

He just threw a switch and now would not dream of deceiving and defrauding his fellow man?

Having an instantly adjustable morality and a conscience blanking facility is vital for 'getting on' it seems.

Plus:

"Forgive me father, I might have sinned".

Such a big big org.

There must be safety in numbers....

He just threw a switch and now would not dream of deceiving and defrauding his fellow man?

Having an instantly adjustable morality and a conscience blanking facility is vital for 'getting on' it seems.

Plus:

"Forgive me father, I might have sinned".

Such a big big org.

There must be safety in numbers....

Many newsletter writers own shares in companies that they write about.

In fact, I think it is legal, so long as they declare in writing that they own some.

I don't know the exact infraction he was accused of, or what the settlement was.

Do you?

Many here write bullish comments about Gold. I assume that they own some. If they were required to reveal that they had acquired the shares cheaply, a long time ago, or were being paid some gold to post about it, how would you feel?

So

1 Gf's morality is similar to that of Calandra?

2 The offences outlined in post 2 are greatly exaggerated?

3 We are all automatons that cannot tell them apart?

The chap over at IKN may have a brash style but he calls it as he sees it and has been bang on about a lot of the shysters in the mining world for many years. Thom Calandra certainly is not on his christmas card list and not just for the 2005 thing:

http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/search/label/thom%20calandra

The chap over at IKN may have a brash style but he calls it as he sees it and has been bang on about a lot of the shysters in the mining world for many years. Thom Calandra certainly is not on his christmas card list and not just for the 2005 thing:

http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/search/label/thom%20calandra

It is in the nature of Junior miners and explorers that they tend to spike upwards,

when there's a sudden rise in buying interest. And those surges are often followed

by big falls.

The danger inherent in these stocks is one reason that I only occasionally discuss stocks

that I am buying on this website - with a few interesting exceptions.

I don't want to be accused of GEI being involved in a "pump and dump" operation, it has

a different mission - Sharing information - not extracting a quick profit for its posters.

I think those who do write about stocks in the Junior sector will inevitably be accused of

assisting dump-and-pumps.

In a way, I am glad this discussion and this sort of mud-slinging came to this thread.

It highlights the risk in investing in the sector.

In a way, I am glad this discussion and this sort of mud-slinging came to this thread.

Err no mud-slinging from me old chap thank you very much. I am merely highlighting what another prominent member of the junior resource community makes of this Thom Calandra. The detail is there and folks can of course make their own mind up.

(I have received this comment from Thom Calandra):

I made a mistake in not disclosing my sales fast enough back in 2003; I have no excuse. I spent 10 years building a news service. The entire affair with the SEC was settled ... but I understand if there are folks who feel bitter or burned. I had a lot of influence. I have tried to explain the circumstances -- search for the interviews, which have appeared over the years in print and broadcast. I enjoy researching companies, and back then, and now, there are a lot of individuals who made and are making money. I know there are some who have lost as well. I am always available --to critics and supporters. Those who know me know that I am easy to get along with, healthy, sane and ethical. I hope that helps, and I love to hear from all investors, and have reached out to my critics and my friends. I still love to visit cos, especially high-risk and grassroots natural resources properties. I am active in Colombia, Ghana, Mali and Mexico. Also Quebec.

Best, thom

--

Thom Calandra

Torrey Hills Capital: USA

(I have received this comment from Thom Calandra):

I made a mistake in not disclosing my sales fast enough back in 2003; I have no excuse. I spent 10 years building a news service. The entire affair with the SEC was settled ... but I understand if there are folks who feel bitter or burned. I had a lot of influence. I have tried to explain the circumstances -- search for the interviews, which have appeared over the years in print and broadcast. I enjoy researching companies, and back then, and now, there are a lot of individuals who made and are making money. I know there are some who have lost as well. I am always available --to critics and supporters. Those who know me know that I am easy to get along with, healthy, sane and ethical. I hope that helps, and I love to hear from all investors, and have reached out to my critics and my friends. I still love to visit cos, especially high-risk and grassroots natural resources properties. I am active in Colombia, Ghana, Mali and Mexico. Also Quebec.

Best, thom

--

Thom Calandra

Torrey Hills Capital: USA

Thank you for posting. I will be speaking at Shenzhen Global Resource Investment Conference this coming Friday and Saturday. I believe at Sheraton Futian. I welcome all questions and rotten tomatoes. P.S., I see Inter-Citic Minerals (ICI) has this morning what looks like potent gold assays. Best, Thom

I will be meeting Thom for next weekend, and will try to pass on questions that people might have

Notice he covers Mexico and possibly EDR:TSX. Wondered if he has paid them any recent visits and what he thinks of their recent presentation? Huge production growth and whilst cash generative, what does he think to the idea of holding back sales for stronger prices led by David Morgan?

For the record I trade these.

Notice he covers Mexico and possibly EDR:TSX. Wondered if he has paid them any recent visits and what he thinks of their recent presentation? Huge production growth and whilst cash generative, what does he think to the idea of holding back sales for stronger prices led by David Morgan?

For the record I trade these.

I saw the Guanajuato operation three weeks ago along with GPL's and reported it via Stockhouse ... I own both ... Endeavour is doing interesting stuff as well outside of Guanajuato ... but GPL is the cheap one ... thom

Charts:

ICI / Inter-Citic Minerals Inc : ICI.t-chart

GPL / Great Panther Silver Ltd : GPL.amex-chart : GPR.v-chart

I have owned both of these stocks in the past, and would consider buying again. ICI may have put in a low near $0.75, but the rally off that low has come with unconvincing volume, so there may be another better buying opportunity than today's price. GPL is still near its low