Nigel Watson

NO COMMENT NEEDED

What's wrong with that?

Police (NG) over react to a student protest with a bit of pepper spray. The students say not acceptable. Police realise they went too far, then they withdraw.

That's good isn't it?

It's not that long ago, during the Vietnam protests, that students were shot dead for protesting in "The Land of the Free".

Everything! Why would you even need to ask? This is not an isolated incident, have a look on youtube. The western world fought hard for freedom, the right to free speech and the right to protest peacefully. This is a violation of their hard earned rights and is the thin edge of the wedge.

What's wrong with that?

Police (NG) over react to a student protest with a bit of pepper spray. The students say not acceptable. Police realise they went too far, then they withdraw.

That's good isn't it?

It's not that long ago, during the Vietnam protests, that students were shot dead for protesting in "The Land of the Free".

Everything! Why would you even need to ask? This is not an isolated incident, have a look on youtube. The western world fought hard for freedom, the right to free speech and the right to protest peacefully. This is a violation of their hard earned rights and is the thin edge of the wedge.

I think you've taken what I said the wrong way.

What I meant was that it looked like a triumph for the peaceful protesters, as the police had made a mess of the situation, realised it and withdrew.

That, is a good thing.

What's wrong with that?

Did the cops just obtain the right to assault people with an offensive weapon for obstructing a pathway ?

Police are just the same as you or I, and, in my view should be held up for criminal charges when individual officers act like this.

Those officers should be singled out and persecuted relectlessly by the ACLU and any pro-bono lawyers out there who still give a damn about the future.

Yes I misunderstood you, however I wouldn't regard that as a triumph. Zero tolerance is slowly being imported from the US and I hate it. True freedom of speech and tolerance is something that makes me proud to be British, we have to defend these rights to the death.

I think you've taken what I said the wrong way.

What I meant was that it looked like a triumph for the peaceful protesters, as the police had made a mess of the situation, realised it and withdrew.

That, is a good thing.

Whenever I see anything like this, it just reminds me of this cartoon and the double standards that are causing so much frustration for the 99%. The western world feels morally bankrupt to me.

looting_cartoon.jpg

Did the cops just obtain the right to assault people with an offensive weapon for obstructing a pathway ?

Police are just the same as you or I, and, in my view should be held up for criminal charges when individual officers act like this.

Those officers should be singled out and persecuted relectlessly by the ACLU and any pro-bono lawyers out there who still give a damn about the future.

Er, depends what you are comparing it with. If you are in any of the non-modern western countries, then yes, they can do what they want.

However, if you are talking about a modern western economy, and, if you are as old as some of us here that protested in the old days, then you would do well to remember that, until relatively recently (last 20 years or so), the police (state, authority or whatever you wanted to call them) essentially had the right to do whatever the F**K they wanted to do to you, and you had NO right to complain.

So YES, while it is still not perfect (far from), it is WAY WAY better now, and let's hope it keeps on improving.

But heh, what I said (clearly I thought) was that it was a victory for the protesters!

Check the law. If it has been broken, press charges. If it hasn't, then press for a change in the law.

Spraying some peaceful students with pepper spray is obviously wrong. Killing them, as used to happen, is a crime.

Zero tolerance used to mean people died. Let's get some perspective can we?

assaulting people with an offensive weapon for obstructing a pathway is clearly wrong.

comparing it with some massacre in the '70s does not change the fact that it was wrong.

hoping that the filth will be punished for their crimes does not change the fact that their crimes were wrong.

assaulting people with an offensive weapon for obstructing a pathway is clearly wrong.

comparing it with some massacre in the '70s does not change the fact that it was wrong.

hoping that the filth will be punished for their crimes does not change the fact that their crimes were wrong.

+ Yes it is.

+ Never said it did.

+ Yes, crimes are wrong, obviously, but I still hope the perpetrators will be punished.