00timebandit00

The Power of Community

The Power of Community

How Cuba adapted, and how we can learn from them

==========================================

http://www.powerofcommunity.org

Check out the video trailer in the above link. Looks good and I'd really love to see the whole documentary

Here's another related one:

The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil is a project of the Arthur Morgan Institute

for Community Solutions, a non-profit organization that designs and teaches low-energy solutions

to the current unsustainable, fossil fuel based, industrialized, and centralized way of living.

Visit www.communitysolution.org for more information.

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 percent – people were desperate. This film tells of the hardships and struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this difficult time. Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period." The film opens with a short history of Peak Oil, a term for the time in our history when world oil production will reach its all-time peak and begin to decline forever. Cuba, the only country that has faced such a crisis – the massive reduction of fossil fuels – is an example of options and hope.

SCREENINGS:

Screenings - refer to http://www.alchemyhouse.com/csi/events/index.php

We encourage screenings of the film to your friends and community! All public screenings must be non-commercial, though you may collect a small fee to cover expenses or to raise money for a non-profit organization. Please post your screenings to our calendar below. You can download posters and photos for your publicity materials here.

This is a great subject for GEI.

(I moved it to the Main board, for a period of "seasoning", so people would see it better.)

In fact, there's a thread somewhere here about Cuba: LINK : ???

And it is good to refresh it.

In fact, Cuba may be a leader in a new movement towards viable Urban Farming.

Detroit and Berlin were once seen as Shrinking Cities* (along with XXX )

That meant they were losing population, and cheap spaces were opening up. Those cheap spaces have encouraged creativity from architects and farmers, amongst others. And the creativity is point the way towards possible urban environments of the future.

When Peak Oil hits hard, local farming is going to become more important - Modern Farming itself relies on the use of much oil for machinery and some for fertilisers. Higher oil prices will change the way that farming is done, and food will be expensive to transport over long distances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyCnI-4COs

"People to work on their own behalf" (when the welfare stops?)

Democracy NOW! - DN! In Detroit, demolition crews are planning to tear down 10,000 residential buildings over the next four years that the city has deemed dangerous. But as old structures are coming down, the city is redefining itself in other ways. An estimated 20 to 30 percent of the city's lots are vacant, and there is a growing urban agriculture movement that community groups are using to reclaim the city. Malik Yakini, chairman of the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network, gives us a tour of D-Town Farm, one of the biggest urban farms in Detroit.

== == ==

* SHrinking Cities:

The current population of the world is 6.5 billion people. Currently about 3 billion live in cities. By 2030, population in cities is expected to be 4.1 billion.[citation needed] Though some cities are continuing to attract residents, others are losing residents at varying rates.[vague] Saskia Sassen's "global cities" theory forecasts these urban "winners" and "losers": the winners being those cities with agglomerated financial and specialized services and the losers being those with outdated industrial infrastructure and manufacture economies.[2]

In the last 50 years, about 370 cities with more than 100,000 residents have undergone population losses of more than 10%. More than 25 percent of the depopulating cities are in the United States, and most of those are in the midwest

0121_buffalo-ny_485x340.jpg

"Buffalo: A great place to shuffle off to..."

BIG SHRINKERS - more than 50% loss of population

==

City and State== :: 1950 pop. : Peak Pop. (Year) :: '10 pop. : Decline

Buffalo, New York : 0,580,132 : 0,580,132 (1950) : 270,240 : 53.4%

Cleveland, Ohio---: 0,914,808 : 0,914,808 (1950) : 396,815 : 56.6%

Detroit, Michigan-: 1,849,568 : 1,849,568 (1950) : 713,777 : 61.4%

Gary, Indiana----- : 0,133,911 : 0,178,320 (1960) : 080,294 : 55.0%

Niagara Falls, NY : 0,090,872 : 0,102,394 (1960) : 050,194 : 51.0%

Pittsburgh, Penn. : 0,676,806 : 0,676,806 (1950) : 305,704 : 54.8%

St.Louis Missouri : 0,856,796 : 0,856,796 (1950) : 319,294 : 62.7%

Youngstown, OH.: 0,168,330 : 0,170,002 (1930) : 066,982 : 60.6%

This was recorded in 2007, and I think you will agree that things are changing...

REATIONS

(1)

Ah, that is oversimplifying it a bit. But given that Saudi Arabia accounts for roughly 10% of the oil production, a decline in the Saudi "bell curve" will make a decline of the global bell curve very imminent. If you approach the issue by looking country by country, it is very hard to see in which one future growth is projected, as to replace a province like the Persian gulf...

warberg80 4 years ago

(2)

"we simply have to reduce demand" - simple it is not. This is the problem. Either I get to have a nice relaxed life in the suburbs and nine of my neighbours die of starvation. Or I relinquish my addiction to oil and learn to live a new way. My bet is I will not change until the nieghbours come knocking and will get what I deserve.

jeffreywmark 4 years ago

(3)

I wonder how the world will be 10 years from today.?

stefanuk23 4 years ago

DEMAND is being reduced... thanks to weak growth, even negative growth in the US and Europe

As probably SHOULD happen: US Suburbanites are getting hammered by job-losses and falling home prices.

(God bless their wicked habits, and the toxic soccer-moms that live there!)