Sign in to follow this  
Nigel Watson

ETFs

I think that the answer to this question will be, ' no', but let's see

Yes, I know gold and silver ETFs are a complete no-go, but what about other commodities - food / energy?

How could I buy shares in Gazprom?

Or get exposure to agriculture in Asia or South America, i.e. anywhere outside of Western Europe and North America (basket cases loaded with debt)

What about shares in a company like Samsung - how could I buy shares in them from the UK?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Yes, I know gold and silver ETFs are a complete no-go

You know that do you? I'd be interested to know why, having held both for a number of years. Mine are non leveraged and exactly track the price of gold and silver bullion. GBS & PHAG traded on the LSE. Buy and sell with very little spread.

There are different ETF's, some relatively safe and some not. I think its unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

I'd say that the above ETF's are as safe as your pound in the bank. ie Not 100% safe.

You know that do you? I'd be interested to know why, having held both for a number of years. Mine are non leveraged and exactly track the price of gold and silver bullion. GBS & PHAG traded on the LSE. Buy and sell with very little spread.

There are different ETF's, some relatively safe and some not. I think its unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

I'd say that the above ETF's are as safe as your pound in the bank. ie Not 100% safe.

I agree. They have to be looked at one at a time and the ones that actually purchase the underlying asset, be it gold or equities, seem to be in a different class to the synthetics. As a rule of thumb though, I would avoid DB ETFs. They seem to be one of the main offenders when it comes to loading ETFs with lower grade collateral.

Well said that man! ETF securities publish holding details in their prospectus, downloadable from their website.

http://www.etfsecurities.com/cslgb/etfs_physical_gold_gb.asp

http://www.etfsecurities.com/msl/etfs_physical_swiss_gold.asp