G0ldfinger

Fukushima I: four reactors in trouble.

Maybe if they can keep pumping the sea water in and you dont eat the local sea food there is not much of a problem. It is a very very big sea with enormous ability to dilute even the most horrible of the toxic waste where the solids are likely to remain in the local area.

Maybe if they can keep pumping the sea water in and you dont eat the local sea food there is not much of a problem. It is a very very big sea with enormous ability to dilute even the most horrible of the toxic waste where the solids are likely to remain in the local area.

Its possible that this is a saving grace for Japan and hopefully much of the radiation is dispersed out at sea

Is there any news on some of Japans other nuclear power plants that are reported to be at risk of meltdown

Strange that there is no footage being shown on TV of the latest developments. I hope its because there is nothing to see but the cynic in me is wondering if this time its serious!

Exactly what I am thinking. Where are the pictures this time? Is everyone just getting the hell out of Dodge?

The Japanese President is about to address the nation.

japanese prime minister asks for evacuation of 30-km radius from no. 1 nuclear power plant & 10-km from no. 2 plant

Translated live stream of press conference here

There is also mention of "number four reactor" being damaged. Oh boy.

Exactly what I am thinking. Where are the pictures this time? Is everyone just getting the hell out of Dodge?

The Japanese President is about to address the nation.

Translated live stream of press conference here

There is also mention of "number four reactor" being damaged. Oh boy.

I am watching both Sky News and BBC News 24 and some 4 hours later, still no footage from the plant. Its now obvious that this story is being suppressed. Given the gravity of the situation, this story should be given continuous coverage but both news channels are screening any non event story apart from the one they should be concentrating on. We are just getting very brief updates every 5 minutes or so but still not a single picture.

<edit> When the updates are announced about R2, they show footage of the R3 explosion!! This is blatently misleading!

Other news...

Reactor 4 on fire for "several hours" today but now extinguished (if you believe that)

Air China suspends all flights to Tokyo

Thailand imposes random food testing on all imported food from Japan

Panic buying of food and petrol reported

Where does this end??

I think there is enough confusion and obfustacation-the fog of war- to realize Japan is entering/has entered a full on COLLAPSE/CATASTROPHE. Now we have IBARAKI (Tokai) near TOKYO nuclear plant with high levels of radiation too. Meanwhile at FUKUSHIMA, we have to summise is going MELTDOWN if not already. 8217 microsieverts (??) level outside Plant 1-equivalent of 3 years of radiation in 1 hour of exposure as of 8:31 this morning. There was an explosion at No2 reactor around 8:30. 20-30 km zone is a JOKE and the only saving grace is the direction of the wind...although a US navy vessel is none too pleased about their radiation level and they are 100km northeast of Fukushima helping in the rescue mission. The Nuuclear reactor further up the coast also is in trouble-sorry cant remember the damn name.

Tokyo is stop go stop again then go-nobody knows if they should be moving anyway. My relatives up there say the supermakrkets are OUT of those essentials-instant foods, flashlights, batteries etc etc. A run on fuel. Many leaving by car or bus but roads NORTH are closed.(not much point going that direction anyway). Not hard to imagine in a city of 30mill.

Stock market getting a hammering and trading suspended.

Edano and Kan are starting to look like Buffoons with their constant appearing and reappearing with conflicting information. Nobody understands the JARGON anyway they just would prefer to be told to stay or get the hell out. Fukushima residents are well pissed off. Mothers with babies getting the radiation test by army people in space suits.

For me down here life is strangely normal. Filled up with gas-no cars waiting. Checked a few superstores for food-no probs there. Scholkids and normal folk just going about normal. It feels like a bit of a capsule to tell the truth. I am extreme south west btw. Good strong sw wind. Stil I feel Japan is about to go belly up here. Esp Tokyo when told/realization seeps in.

Rescue works continue in the dead zones-imagine if all the foreign resue workers get clobbered with radiation...Those poor people without home or food are starting to stress. Who wouldn't?

This is a mess and I am itchy fingers with my passports.

Gambare Nippon!

I think there is enough confusion and obfustacation-the fog of war- to realize Japan is entering/has entered a full on COLLAPSE/CATASTROPHE. Now we have IBARAKI (Tokai) near TOKYO nuclear plant with high levels of radiation too. Meanwhile at FUKUSHIMA, we have to summise is going MELTDOWN if not already. 8217 microsieverts (??) level outside Plant 1-equivalent of 3 years of radiation in 1 hour of exposure as of 8:31 this morning. There was an explosion at No2 reactor around 8:30. 20-30 km zone is a JOKE and the only saving grace is the direction of the wind...although a US navy vessel is none too pleased about their radiation level and they are 100km northeast of Fukushima helping in the rescue mission. The Nuuclear reactor further up the coast also is in trouble-sorry cant remember the damn name.

Tokyo is stop go stop again then go-nobody knows if they should be moving anyway. My relatives up there say the supermakrkets are OUT of those essentials-instant foods, flashlights, batteries etc etc. A run on fuel. Many leaving by car or bus but roads NORTH are closed.(not much point going that direction anyway). Not hard to imagine in a city of 30mill.

Edano and Kan are starting to look like Buffoons with their constant appearing and reappearing with conflicting information. Nobody understands the JARGON anyway they just would prefer to be told to stay or get the hell out. Fukushima residents are well pissed off. Mothers with babies getting the radiation test by army people in space suits.

For me down here life is strangely normal. Filled up with gas-no cars waiting. Checked a few superstores for food-no probs there. Scholkids and normal folk just going about normal. It feels like a bit of a capsule to tell the truth. I am extreme south west btw. Good strong sw wind. Stil I feel Japan is about to go belly up here. Esp Tokyo when told/realization seeps in.

Rescue works continue in the dead zones-imagine if all the foreign resue workers get clobbered with radiation...Those poor people without home or food are starting to stress. Who wouldn't?

Gambare Nippon!

You can always go back again if it's okay. Small world. I'd pack.

You can always go back again if it's okay. Small world. I'd pack.

Reports of national carries cancelling all flights to Japan until end of March. If the rest follow suit it might be better ti prepare to hunker down.

I just realised i was earlier reporting the 1999 problems where three workers had massive contamination and one saw a blue flame over the fuel.

Hopefully i have not added to peoples misery with my belief things were at that time worse than they actually were.

I am very sorry for everybody impacted by what i said.

Gambare Nippon!

Thanks for the update Jake. Things are normal where you are but will that continue if things deteriorate further? If you stay then maybe time to stock up on foodstuffs?

I am still struggling to comprehend the scale of this disaster..........surely we are seeing one of the biggest historical events of the 21st century being created?

Difficult times for you Jake and I wish you all the best

From the BBC live news text feed

0738: More on the fire at a spent fuel pond at Fukushima: It is at the number 4 reactor and "radioactivity is being released directly into the atmosphere", AFP quotes the IAEA as saying

This is bad news as apparently spent fuel will release much longer lasting radiation than fresh stuff out of the core.

EDIT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

This is bad news as apparently spent fuel will release much longer lasting radiation than fresh stuff out of the core.

This is true, the spent fuel may ironcally be the worst of this. Apparently the fire can carry the material much higher.

To any and all Japanese (and people in Japan reading): My heartfelt sympathies.

I think the media has treated this appallingly in the west, tbh.

In fact doing a disservice to the people.

You can imagine there are epic acts of courage being performed to go into areas of the reactor with high levels of radioactivity to perform maintenance. In Chernobyl three men had to dive into the cooling ponds to manually turn off a valve only aided by a rope and working in darkness. They succeeded but two died from radiation exposure.

Because of people like this Japan will sort this out.

At least they seemed to have stopped the fire in plant 4. Apparently some radioactive fumes escaped there.

At least they seemed to have stopped the fire in plant 4. Apparently some radioactive fumes escaped there.

BREAKING NEWS: Cooling of No. 5, No. 6 reactors appears not to be working properly: Edano (16:42)

BREAKING NEWS: Cooling of No. 5, No. 6 reactors appears not to be working properly: Edano (16:42)

On the positive side we are now in day 4 and by now surely the largest portable generators and pumps in Asia are in place in the reactors that had systems compromised.

If the control rods are indeed in place things will get better.

On the positive side we are now in day 4 and by now surely the largest portable generators and pumps in Asia are in place in the reactors that had systems compromised.

If the control rods are indeed in place things will get better.

NHK: Fukushima Daiichi reactor complex: The temperatures of Unit 5 and 6 are also rising.

NHK: Fukushima Daiichi reactor complex: The temperatures of Unit 5 and 6 are also rising.

Yes but if the control rods are in place the nuclear fission process is stopped and the heat generated is due to the presence of the decaying products of the reactor process. Even if the temperature of the reactor rises it is not necessarily a big deal in the scheme of things where a disaster has happened. Yes amounts of radiation could be leaking from these things for the next couple of years.

However i am in Finland and you are in the jungles of borneo or somewhere a bit closer to these problems. I dont think you need to worry about the radiation. The economic ramifications might be more relevant however?

Yes but if the control rods are in place the nuclear fission process is stopped and the heat generated is due to the presence of the decaying products of the reactor process. Even if the temperature of the reactor rises it is not necessarily a big deal in the scheme of things where a disaster has happened. Yes amounts of radiation could be leaking from these things for the next couple of years.

However i am in Finland and you are in the jungles of borneo or somewhere a bit closer to these problems. I dont think you need to worry about the radiation. The economic ramifications might be more relevant however?

I wasn't thinking of myself. Just updating so Jake can see.

You know, in California, a little north of San Diego, you have a 42 year old nuclear power plant right on the sea, essentially sitting on top of the San Andreas fault.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Alexandra Harney speaks fluent Japanese, is a "TV Personality" there, and may have some unique insights into what is happening.

She posts on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/thechinaprice

== ==

EXAMPLES:

Tokyo mayor apologizes for calling the earthquake and tsunami "divine retribution" http://bit.ly/dKVSOu

44 minutes ago via web

Japanese friend in Tokyo says no one's rushing to the airport in her office ...

about 1 hour ago via web

Flights out of narita today booked solid. Tokyo station is filling up. Exodus from Tokyo is underway.

UNQUOTE

Sounds like a major panic is getting underway.

You know, in California, a little north of San Diego, you have a 42 year old nuclear power plant right on the sea, essentially sitting on top of the San Andreas fault.

Listening to the PM prog on R4 last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00zf9tt/PM_14_03_2011

@ 15-30

Guy saying they called the fire brigade to cool the reactor!

perhaps they're now wishing they'd put the generators with diesel store on the top of the building..... out of harms way. as it were?

Who lives there?

It might bring new meaning to the phrase: "Property meltdown"