Sign in to follow this  
drbubb

Falling Down time ?

This has happened before, and the reasons why puzzle me.

It seems that many things tend the BREAKdOWN for me at the same time, within a 24-48 hours window.

This time it was:

1/ My main computer CRASHED and the hard disk is now frozen - It appears to be irrepairable.

2/ The computers I use in the Clubhouse have suddenly broken down

3/ Imageshack suddenly replaced all the old images, with an ugly new advertising image, forcing me to "Register" GEI, which I have done but the old images have not yet been restored

4/ When I went to buy an new computer, by mistake the store gave me the wrong color, and so I had to return it for the color I wanted

5/ Some minor health problems - I will not go into details

NOW I AM NOT COMPLAINING, but the synchronicity of everything breaking at once I find puzzling

Is anyone else experiencing this right now?

I also notice, the stocks may also have begun an important breakdown at the same gtime

You could be in Christchurch! When things are going wrong I always visualize a worse scenario to make me feel better. But you are right bad thongs cluster around-ESP true of quakes.

Either Murphy's Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

The perceived perversity of the universe has long been a subject of comment, and precursors to the modern version of Murphy's law are not hard to find. Recent significant research in this area has been conducted by members of the American Dialect Society. ADS member Stephen Goranson has found a version of the law, not yet generalized or bearing that name, in a report by Alfred Holt at an 1877 meeting of an engineering society:

It is found that anything that can go wrong at sea generally does go wrong sooner or later

or, could it possibly be explained by root causes. Maybe the electricity supply caused both computer problems, and the colour was just poor customer services as a result.

That just leaves imagesh and health, making 3 in total.

My father always says things come in threes, so there you have it, all nicely proved :D

You could be in Christchurch! When things are going wrong I always visualize a worse scenario to make me feel better. But you are right bad thongs cluster around-ESP true of quakes.

I saw the photos in the news today.

What a tragedy for the people there!

I hope all our GEI members are doing alright - and their families too.

(Has anyone heard from Romans Holiday recently? - Was he in Christchurch)

By comparison, my problems are but a minor annoyance

Problems in threes - Yes I have seen that before.

The computers are on a different electricty system, so that won't be a common feature

Yes, me too...

Dog to the vet 3 times in a month,

Travel disasters - cx flights, overnights in hotels, lost bags.

Illness x2 in a week - one of which kept me in bed for 48h.

plus many other minor things.

Yes, things often happen in waves. It happens to me too. Last time my computer crashed was within 24h of my wife's having a wipe out too (and there is no connection). I was so annoyed. Then we had an annus horribilis some time ago with everyone being in the emergency room at least once, including the cat who only barely survived after an immune system shock because of a vaccination (these vets are crazy pumping these cocktails in your animal every half year or year; that chapter is over for us now).

Well, maybe it is for a purpose sometimes.

I am up and surfing on a new computer (Fujitsu Lifebook series L), and WOW!

It is loads faster and easier to use.

Money down the drain, but the last computer lasted for 3 years plus, so it must have been time for a change.

When it's time to change next time please do try Apple desktop or mac book, they very rarely crash and no time is wasted with spyware, adware and all that nonsense.

I used to use a Samsung D600 mobile phone, I now have the iphone. I've kept the Samsung as it has the most curious quirk and that is, if you type "economist" whilst writing a text message the phone crashes immediately! Every single time, it never crashes any other time either so it's not like there is something wrong with it, I discovered this late 2008 during the turmoil in the markets...

In fact if there is anyone else with a D600 can they try this? I almost suspect it was written in the code for the thing as some sort of joke.

It could simply be that life for the most part is full of routine and boredom, things we don't really notice. Then when something happens, it leads to something else, often mere coincidences that we otherwise would not take much notice of, but suddenly we place a remakable tag on it as if it is something out of the world, or at worse other worldly. Don't worry, I'm sure your matrix will reboot shortly.

Well, maybe it is for a purpose sometimes.

Money down the drain, but the last computer lasted for 3 years plus, so it must have been time for a change.

3 years? Pah, my Vaio is still going strong at the age of 10. Although getting a virus checker for Windows 98 was a challenge. Still I can always go back to the Black and White HP omnibook. Now that was a laptop. Solid state drive, no back-light to worry about meaning ultra low power. So not only did it start instantly but the batteries lasted about 3 days before it needed a charge (7 days turned on and being used that is, not just 'standby').

I'd still use it now but the only way I can get things off it is via infra red. :(

As I have written before I would recommend getting a mac they just don't break the same way as PC's. Also take a look at http://www.skitch.com for image hosting it is much better than imageshack, it also comes with great free capture software.

Windows 7 - Falling down

The problem is, when using Win7 I have problems staying signed in to GEI.

If I sign in, and then use certain Admin functions (at the Envision side of GEI), I cannot sign in again until I reboot.

I noticed this on another computer, and I found I am having the same problem on my brand new computer too

This has happened before, and the reasons why puzzle me.

It seems that many things tend the BREAKdOWN for me at the same time, within a 24-48 hours window.

This time it was:

1/ My main computer CRASHED and the hard disk is now frozen - It appears to be irrepairable.

2/ The computers I use in the Clubhouse have suddenly broken down

3/ Imageshack suddenly replaced all the old images, with an ugly new advertising image, forcing me to "Register" GEI, which I have done but the old images have not yet been restored

4/ When I went to buy an new computer, by mistake the store gave me the wrong color, and so I had to return it for the color I wanted

5/ Some minor health problems - I will not go into details

NOW I AM NOT COMPLAINING, but the synchronicity of everything breaking at once I find puzzling

Is anyone else experiencing this right now?

I also notice, the stocks may also have begun an important breakdown at the same gtime

Bubb,

Tell me about it.

Last year,

1. HP laptop #1 failed.

2. HP laptop #2 failed.

3. Desktop blew up three times.

4. UPS, two destroyed within three months.

5. Two external drives dead (I'll get to this in a minute)

6. Isuzu truck engine blew up. Total rebuild.

7. Kawasaki engine blew, irreparable damage.

8. Two electric sanders dead.

9. Electric drill dead.

10. A whole bunch of other stuff, it was beyond the Twilight Zone.

All this in around a four month slot.

Now, hard drives. Try taking it out, wrapping it in cellophane and putting it in the freezer for a day or so. This just worked with my two WD Passport drives I thought had died the death. This unseizes them.

I have a Samsung NF208 netbook now, Atom Dual Core N550 1.5 GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB HDD. Running XP SP3 with TuneXP to boost performance, keep it defragged and keep the registry clean with Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner. Just use the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Runs like a notebook but without the price tag, 11,500 Baht. Runs MS Office the lot, no problem. Even using the webcam for Skype, has to be my favorite of all PC's.

Sorry to hear about your "bad run" of technical difficulties

Now, hard drives. Try taking it out, wrapping it in cellophane and putting it in the freezer for a day or so. This just worked with my two WD Passport drives I thought had died the death. This unseizes them.

Worth a try, I suppose.

But it sounds strange to Freeze a Hard drive in order to unfreeze it.

How difficult is it to remove a Hard drive from a laptop, I wonder?

Worth a try, I suppose.

Have a look on YouTube. Usually got videos showing how to do it for most laptops.

I know for this netbook it's very simple to take the HDD out and replace with an SSD.

That said you're in HK so they can probably sort this out on any street corner. It's best to let a local technician do it all for you. Not sure if you can put the whole thing in the freezer, maybe not such a good idea.

Worth a try, I suppose.

This is probably more of a moisture problem rather than a mechanical 'seizing'. Colonel, do you live in the tropics or somewhere wet? Condensation forms on the discs and the drive will be unreadable, the freezing process (through magic) does seem to help sometimes. I think I would try the airing cupboard or storing in Tupperware with rice first however.

It's also well worth while looking at the system logs on your machine every so often. Find them by right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting 'Manage'. Expand the 'Event Viewer' and click on 'System'. If you see a lot of red crosses with 'Error' beside them, check to see if the 'source' is 'disc'. Lots of errors for 'disc' in a short time frame probably means your drive is on the way out or at least needs to be defragged / scanned for errors.

I know this as I had a hard drive that started to fail and when I looked in the logs, it had been warning the system for about 2 months. I *just* managed to get all the irreplaceable data off to a new drive before it died. Now I have 2 hard drives backing up to each other and my really vital files are on a waterproof memory stick in my pocket. Just in case...

This is probably more of a moisture problem rather than a mechanical 'seizing'. Colonel, do you live in the tropics or somewhere wet? Condensation forms on the discs and the drive will be unreadable, the freezing process (through magic) does seem to help sometimes. I think I would try the airing cupboard or storing in Tupperware with rice first however.

It's also well worth while looking at the system logs on your machine every so often. Find them by right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting 'Manage'. Expand the 'Event Viewer' and click on 'System'. If you see a lot of red crosses with 'Error' beside them, check to see if the 'source' is 'disc'. Lots of errors for 'disc' in a short time frame probably means your drive is on the way out or at least needs to be defragged / scanned for errors.

I know this as I had a hard drive that started to fail and when I looked in the logs, it had been warning the system for about 2 months. I *just* managed to get all the irreplaceable data off to a new drive before it died. Now I have 2 hard drives backing up to each other and my really vital files are on a waterproof memory stick in my pocket. Just in case...

I dooooo actually. But these seized in Blighty and the freezer trick worked here, last week in fact. Both drives, same, same.

Why is it that 20 years ago I had a PC and it did all the things I use them for now but with none of the hassle? Also, 66 MHz processor and 96mb of RAM was it?

Now netbooks have got to where they are I'll stick with them. Cheap, cheap here.

Bubb . . . get a netbook. Will be savagely cheap in HK. Get one with the N550 or D525 Atom processor and 2GB DDR3 RAM.

get a mac.

or wait for dominik to tell you.

Too expensive - and not compatible with my historical files

I have been a very heavy user of my HP-laptop, and it is a miracle the thing held up as long as it did

Too expensive - and not compatible with my historical files

I have been a very heavy user of my HP-laptop, and it is a miracle the thing held up as long as it did

It is. I loathe HP. I have my reasons.