Sign in to follow this  
harvipark

NZ Quake

Anyone heard from Steve Net?

Rescuers are toiling overnight to reach scores of people trapped under rubble after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake which killed at least 65 people.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker says more than 100 people are feared buried in collapsed buildings in Christchurch.

The disaster struck at a shallow depth of 5km (3.1 miles) on Tuesday lunchtime when Christchurch was at its busiest.

It is the South Island city's second quake in six months, and the country's worst natural disaster in 80 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12540345

I hope he is all right and his family and friends as I'm sure we all do

I'd imagine communications will be severely affected

which may explain his lack of posting today

one of my favourite posters on here

in my thoughts today Steve

I hope he is all right and his family and friends as I'm sure we all do

I'd imagine communications will be severely affected

which may explain his lack of posting today

one of my favourite posters on here

in my thoughts today Steve

Looks like he is posting on his own site so seems he is ok

Cant post as i am not a member there

Let's hope RH didn't incurr any damage either. I hope he was not miles deep into his freshly dug gold mine.

Let's hope RH didn't incurr any damage either. I hope he was not miles deep into his freshly dug gold mine.

I think I saw Sylvester pop up on Steves site so hopefully they are all ok

I think I saw Sylvester pop up on Steves site so hopefully they are all ok

Hi guys,

Yes Steve is posting on his site and I'm sure he won't mind me copying one of his posts here:

Woah that was a BIG one!!! Earthquake I mean !!! 12:53pm 22nd Feb 2011

Geez, my wife was telling me about a series of small but shallow ones yesterday.

Then, just now, roller coaster time, and under the table.

Power still on.

Flipping heck, that was BIG, and long. I started to wonder when it would stop.

Time to check for damage.....

Hope everyone down here is OK Cross Fingers

He's not been posting since about 1.20pm yesterday but he's probably helping out or evacuated.

All is well here in Queenstown (we are about 6 hours drive away). I didn't feel the initial quake or any aftershocks (unlike the one in September which woke me up) but a lot of people here did. I was in work yesterday and a collegue felt an aftershock and when I didn't belive her we noticed that the lights were swinging (a lot!).

In in the fire service and we've not been called in for support yet. We might have to head over at some point to relive crews. The fact that we haven't been sent over yet is a good sign as they must feel they have enough personnel on the ground at the moment.

Best wishes to all in CHCH.

I can't believe the images on TV.

I lived in CHCH for about five years....ages 6-11, great place to grow up back in the late 1970's. The place is dead flat which is good when your only transport at that age was a chopper bicycle.

Seeing the Cathedral ruined like that is really sad, such an icon of the city, it would be like Big Ben falling over.

I have booked flights for my family and I to go there in August for a week, now I'm not sure....but flights are non refundable, make a decision later in the year.

What a f*cking mess.

Hi guys :D

Yep we're OK, shaken, and lost phone and then internet after I managed to post straight away after climbing out from under the table.

All back on now.

One should feel for those hurt and killed and their families. And far too many of them this time :(

And still many trapped in buildings.

I posted this at the time:

Another Massive Earthquake Hits Christchurch. Woah that was a BIG one!!! Earthquake I mean !!! 12:53pm 22nd Feb 2011

http://neuralnetwriter.cylo42.com/node/4096

This got posted while I had no internet:

Earthquake :(

http://neuralnetwriter.cylo42.com/node/4097

I'm just glad none of us were in the centre at the time, which we could easily have been.

The NZ$ got hit too:

The Effect of the Christchurch Earthquake on the Forex Market 22nd Feb 2011 by Steve Netwriter

http://neuralnetwriter.cylo42.com/node/4098

I'm not sure what's going to happen to it from now.

At least it's stopped raining, which makes it better for those without homes and for those trapped.

I can't believe the images on TV.

I lived in CHCH for about five years....ages 6-11, great place to grow up back in the late 1970's. The place is dead flat which is good when your only transport at that age was a chopper bicycle.

Seeing the Cathedral ruined like that is really sad, such an icon of the city, it would be like Big Ben falling over.

I have booked flights for my family and I to go there in August for a week, now I'm not sure....but flights are non refundable, make a decision later in the year.

What a f*cking mess.

Yes, many of the buildings that survived last time with relatively minor damage are now trashed.

The cathedral :o:( being one of them.

But also the Press building, lots of Cashel St mall......

As far as I can tell, the art centre is still standing. They've had the tower sat on the pavement for months.

Next time I go into the centre I'm not sure what I'm going to find.

In in the fire service and we've not been called in for support yet. We might have to head over at some point to relive crews. The fact that we haven't been sent over yet is a good sign as they must feel they have enough personnel on the ground at the moment.

My impression is that there are lots of people working on the buildings with trapped people, and there's a limit to how many can work on each place.

Those hit by falling bricks/stone are dead, and that's a less urgent task :(

The main help seems to be for expert search and rescue, which should be here by now, and for help for the many homeless. And then for recovering services like water and power.

That's my impression from knowing the area and seeing the clips from the TV anyway.

I know crews from outside ChCh have been working there.

Good to hear you two are safe.

Big shame about the Cathedral but what the hell.......that can be rebuilt.

My thoughts go out to those who have lost their lives.

Rebuilding Christchurch will be very problematic.

For example Wellington has a large number of smaller brick buildings which are are not required to be upgraded to modern earthquake standards if they are not modified or modernised or have a change of use. Some of these buildings are popular restaurants. It appears the council does not have the stomach to enforce modern standards for fear even more buisiness will migrate to safer areas. You therefore have a financial CBD with many modern buildings and a somewhat empoverished area where very few new developments have been undertaken.

Given the way buildings have failed in Christchurch it appears they had the same kind of issues.

Besides there is the basic fact that earthquake protection generally enables survivability of those inside - even with great hazard to those outside as glass and cladding comes away from a twisting steel frame - but can leave the building tilted or wrecked beyond repair.

Then there is insurance. Since about 1990 commercial buildings are not covered by government earthquake insurance and private dwellings only have 100,000 of government cover with the idea that cover will lapse with inflation and replaced with private insurance. Usually if you underinsure you only get a fraction of the repairs even if your cover is greater than the damage you sustain.

Rebuilding Christchurch will be very problematic.

For example Wellington has a large number of smaller brick buildings which are are not required to be upgraded to modern earthquake standards if they are not modified or modernised or have a change of use. Some of these buildings are popular restaurants. It appears the council does not have the stomach to enforce modern standards for fear even more buisiness will migrate to safer areas. You therefore have a financial CBD with many modern buildings and a somewhat empoverished area where very few new developments have been undertaken.

Given the way buildings have failed in Christchurch it appears they had the same kind of issues.

Besides there is the basic fact that earthquake protection generally enables survivability of those inside - even with great hazard to those outside as glass and cladding comes away from a twisting steel frame - but can leave the building tilted or wrecked beyond repair.

Then there is insurance. Since about 1990 commercial buildings are not covered by government earthquake insurance and private dwellings only have 100,000 of government cover with the idea that cover will lapse with inflation and replaced with private insurance. Usually if you underinsure you only get a fraction of the repairs even if your cover is greater than the damage you sustain.

You may well be right, but can you ever build a structure that is completely earthquake proof? The majority of the buildings in CHCH are probably able to withstand the regular small quakes and could be said to be adequate. Its only when a big one strikes that the construction standards are called into question. I fully expect the blame game to start once the dust has settled and no doubt accusations of substandard construction and the inevitable lawsuits will follow.

With regards to the cathedral, i would have thought the the NZ people would demand that it be reconstructed. The historical value of the cathedral is just too valuable to lose, not to mention the sheer beauty of the thing!

The images have been pretty surreal. I've been in some of the buildings that are gone. Glad I wasn't there when it hit

I'm in Aussie this week and the response offered by other countries has been impressive both in speed and scale. The coverage was wall to wall the day the quake struck. And Aussie search and rescue teams left the same night.

NZ civil defence people have been helping out regularly in the last year or so in places like Queensland (Cyclone Yazi and floods) and Victoria (bush fires).. Australia, and a bunch of other countries are now more than repaying that help and have now offered a helping hand. And quick smart.

So far:

Japan

US

UK

Taiwan

Australia

The infrastructure is pretty munted at the moment. Water / Sewerage and electricity is pretty badly damaged and will take considerable time to get going again.

Good to hear you two are safe.

My thoughts go out to those who have lost their lives.

DITTO