Chilling: Bears use human graves as giant refridgerators

Bears use human graves as giant refridgerators

=================================

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/2...pses-graveyards

Link to here: http://tinyurl.com/SP-chill

Russian bears treat graveyards as 'giant refrigerators'

A shortage of bears' traditional food near the Arctic Circle has forced the animals to eat human corpses, say locals

* Luke Harding in Moscow

* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 26 October 2010 15.32 BST

<script src='http://img100.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=russianbear006.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>russianbear006.jpg</noscript>

Bears are reported to be raiding graveyards in search of food in Russia's Arctic Circle republic of Komi. Photograph: Alexander Nemenov/AFP/Getty Images

From a distance it resembled a rather large man in a fur coat, leaning tenderly over the grave of a loved one. But when the two women in the Russian village of Vezhnya Tchova came closer they realised there was a bear in the cemetery eating a body.

Russian bears have grown so desperate after a scorching summer they have started digging up and eating corpses in municipal cemetries, alarmed officials said today. Bears' traditional food – mushrooms, berries and the odd frog – has disappeared, they added.

The Vezhnya Tchova incident took place on Saturday in the northern republic of Komi, near the Arctic Circle. The shocked women cried in panic, frightening the bear back into the woods, before they discovered a ghoulish scene with the clothes of the bear's already-dead victim chucked over adjacent tombstones, the Russian newspaper Moskovsky Komsomelets reported.

Local people said that bears had resorted to scavenging in towns and villages - rummaging through bins, stealing garden carrots and raiding tips. A young man had been mauled in the centre of Syktyvkar, Komi's capital. "They are really hungry this year. It's a big problem. Many of them are not going to survive," said Simion Razmislov, the vice-president of Komi's hunting and fishing society.

World Wildlife Fund Russia said there had been a similar case two years ago in the town of Kandalaksha, in the northern Karelia republic. "You have to remember that bears are natural scavengers. In the US and Canada you can't leave any food in tents in national parks," said Masha Vorontsova, Director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) in Russia.

"In Karelia one bear learned how to do it [open a coffin]. He then taught the others," she added, suggesting: "They are pretty quick learners."

The only way to get rid of the bears would be to frighten them with something noisy like a firework or shoot them, she said.

According to Vorontsova, the omnivorous bears had "plenty to eat" this autumn, with foods such as fish and ants at normal levels. The bears raided graveyards because they offered a supply of easy food, she said, a bit like a giant refrigerator. "The story is horrible. Nobody wants to think about having a much loved member of their family eaten by a bear."

The bear population in Russia is relatively stable with numbers between 120,000 and 140,000. The biggest threat isn't starvation but hunting - with VIP sportsmen and wealthy gun enthusiasts wiping out most of the large male bears in Kamchatka, in Russia's Far East. Chinese poachers have killed many black bears near the border, selling their claws and other parts in markets.

The Russian government is drafting legislation to ban the killing of bears during the breeding season.

• This article was amended on 27 and 29 October 2010. The original referred to Masha Vorontsova of WWF Russia. This has been corrected. A reference to winter breeding was deleted.

In 2008 bears surrounded a group of miners. A couple were eaten. . . (how did Hollywood NOT make a film of this?)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,389623,00.html

Starving Bears Eat 2 Men at Russian Mines

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

MOSCOW — A pack of enormous bears searching for food killed and ate two men at mines in Russia's Pacific Kamchatka region and have kept hundreds of geologists and miners from reaching the mine, news agencies reported Wednesday.

A pack of up to 30 Kamchatka bears—which are similar to grizzlies—prowled around two mines of a local platinum mining company where they killed the two guards on Thursday, local officials were quoted by the Russian ITAR-Tass news agency as saying.

About 400 company workers have refused to return to the mines for fear of the bears, which stand 10 feet tall on their hind legs and weigh up to 1,500 pounds, Interfax reported.

About 10 bears have also been seen near the village of Khailino sniffing fish remains and other garbage.

Village official Viktor Leushkin was quoted by ITAR-Tass as saying that a team of hunters will be dispatched to shoot or chase off the bears.

"These predators have to be destroyed," Leushkin was quoted as saying. "Once they kill a human, they will do it again and again."

Rampant fish poaching in the Kamchatka tundra often forces the bears to seek other sources of food, such as garbage. Bears frequently attack humans in the scarcely populated peninsula region.

BEARS get hungry too.

And they are hungry now

The biggest corpses of all...?

The US stock market and the UK property market.

"We should all just "chill", says Mr. R."

The wonderful and wise Ri@lto on SP, has made a suggestion:

As I always say to Bubb....you die in the end. Vanessa - lighten up a bit - get some balance.. No one is anywhere near as important as they may think they are.

And please note - I didnt question his views (as you suggested) - just his delivery and intensity.

Anyway, thats me - shutting down til Monday lunchtime Gym/pub lunch/3 nights Lake district/Real ale/Football/who knows what else? All thanks to property.

Chill

UNQUOTE

== == ==

My response to this on SP was this:

"Chill", says Ri@lto.

Perhaps he is right - I should not care one way or the other what folks here may think or do.

Chill... chill my way into not posting at all.

Let this forum cool off. Chill down. Even freeze?

Yes. That is probably a fine idea, Greg. Thanks so much for suggesting it.

Like V., I have other things to do with my time.

+ + +

And as a comment (final one perhaps) on the Education Forum there:

"If cycles and trends were any guide to the future, the virtual financial collapse of the world economy would have been foreseen by one or more of the "experts" who are now confidently telling us via newspapers, Sky News, etc exactly what to expect in the immediate future. (They wish !) My normal response to them - did you publicly forecast the recession ? - is usually met with a deafening silence !" - T.D.

Go to GEI, the forecasts of coming price falls were everywhere before they occurred. Just as they are again now, after a one year Dead Cat bounce.

The mainstream doesn't want you to be prepared, and so perhaps that is why they don't bother to give your the reasons to be worried. The powerful few prefer that the "bagholders" are left uninformed. So they tell you: "You cannot forecast. Step where you are.. and be happy."

It is your choice. I am not telling you what to do.

As Rialto has suggested to me in the Market Discussion section, I should just "chill." Perhaps I will chill right down, and stop posting here.

You can do the same. Chill, and let the wave roll over you. Financial graves are like refrigerators aren't they?

Bears seem to think so. See this link: http://tinyurl.com/sp-chill

...if you want to know what I am speaking about.

The Reality of Ri@lto is chilling indeed:

"thats me - shutting down til Monday lunchtime Gym/pub lunch/3 nights Lake district/Real ale/Football/who knows what else?

All thanks to property." ( Rialto )

All thanks to property? More like: "thanks to the foolishness of wannabee property investors"

Isn't Ri@lto someone who pushes one of those expensive and possibly-scammy* courses on buying "Below Market" properties?

Sure, everyone wants to think they can borrow-and-buy their way to a fortune. Life isn't quite like that.

Eventually the cycle-of-greed rolls over, and prices plummet, and those that overstayed the Bubble get burned.

I wonder how many sellers and buyers is be wiped out trying to copy tricks that may have worked for him back before 2005?

# # #

*I haven't been to one of his course, but from what I have heard, BMV transactions rely upon:

# Finding someone who is desperate or foolish enough to sell below a realsitic market valuation, or

# Fooling oneself into thinking that they are buying "cheap", or

# Fooling a bank (through tricks like "gifted deposits") into financing close to 100% of a property'd purchase price

And the cash flow for the whole scheme is typically under-written by tenants on housing benefits, where the taxpayer is keeping the whole scam going

• 1 month later...

Bears are already extinct these days so we should value them. The incidents where bears ate corpse and even human is not to be blamed to them. Bears are born carnivores they really need flesh to survive. Killing them may solve the problem but can we really afford to lose them? I guess the government should raise fund to provide foods for them. They can also be transferred to different zoological park where they will be given enough food and proper treatment.

Archived