Silent reader

Monopoly "the board game"

"According to the rules the game ends when the central bank runs out of money.[3]" ;)

Gold money heh. Thats a bit extravagent.

Of course we all know that central banks never run out of paper - well most of us anyway.

Here’s my attempt at new rules.

Each player starts the game with nothing and may borrow money from the bank. The maximum debt for each player is capped at “The Total Money Supply” divided by “the number of players plus 1”. So 2 players can each borrow up to 66% (33% each) of the total money supply between them, 4 players can borrow up to 80% (20% each) of the money supply between them.

Each player takes it in turns to roll 2 dice and moves their counter accordingly. (NO double turns allowed for rolling a double six - 12 is the maximum movement per player per turn)

Each player pays the going interest rate to the bank on before EACH throw of the dice (with the exception of their first lap where they don’t pay anything).

The first player to pass ‘Go’ becomes the interest rate setter. He rolls both dice and this determines the interest rate ALL player pay on that lap round the board.

Every time the interest rate setter passes ‘Go’ he rolls again and sets a new interest rate for that lap. (but only allowed to either increase or decrease by .5% or decide to hold rates as they are per lap)

If the interest rate setter becomes bankrupt, the existing interest rate stays in place until any player passes ‘Go’. The next player to pass Go becomes the new interest rate setter.

A player may buy a plot when he lands on it (except for the first lap). To buy a hotel or house he must land on the plot he already owns (he can’t buy whenever he feels like it and he doesn’t need all the plot of the same colour to buy) (but if all the entire colour group is owned then "rents" are doubled)

Sorry short of time, best I can do atm

Thanks for that, that’s fantastic :) I hope you don't mind but I've added a couple of things, in red your thoughts (a yes or no) would be appreciated.

If a player decided not to borrow their full allotted amount, could this be lent by the bank to another player at a higher rate ?

I'll see if I can find an opponent or two this weekend and give it a trial run, couple this with some new Chance and Community chest cards and I can see this being quite a laugh for an evening entertainment ;)

Also found these ........ made me smile :

Question: How much money does the bank have?

Answer: The bank has $15,140 in cash (in standard editions of Monopoly).

The money comes in 20 orange $500 bills, 20 beige $100 bills, 30 green $50 bills, 50 blue $20 bills, 40 yellow $10 bills, 40 pink $5 bills, and 40 white $1 bills.

http://boardgames.about.com/od/monopolyfaq/f/bank_money.htm

Question: Can I borrow money from another player?

Answer: No. It is against the rules to borrow money from any other player. In Monopoly, players can only borrow money from the bank (in the form of mortgages).

http://boardgames.about.com/od/monopolyfaq...orrow_money.htm

Question: What happens if the bank runs out of money?

Answer: The bank never runs out of money in Monopoly.

Even if you physically run out of bills during a particular game, which is relatively rare, you should come up with a way to keep track (such as having the banker keep a running tab for each player).

http://boardgames.about.com/od/monopolyfaq...nk_runs_out.htm

Question: Can I print my own Monopoly money?

Answer: Yes. Hasbro lets players print their own Monopoly money using PDF files and a color printer.

You can also order new Monopoly money from Hasbro's customer service department.

http://boardgames.about.com/od/monopolyfaq/f/print_money.htm

I highly recommend PoleEconomy as mentioned earlier by OP. Excellent, and much better than the Cashflow games by K - my first purchases online and boy did I regret it, soooo not worth it.

As for your updated monopoly what an excellent idea. Of course as OOP pointed out buying property in M. assumes you cannot lose by buying property (minor chance cards perhaps, but nothing major in terms of loss of value). Everytime we play there is a mad rush to buy properties especially in chunks of the board.

In this way buying property replaces any instant gratification you might otherwise have.

Very quickly, although the game is a long way from over you know who has won. Time for a chance card...

I agree with your tweaks with the 2 comments below.

(but only allowed to either increase or decrease by .5% or decide to hold rates as they are per lap)

I’d say the interest rate should be allowed to adjust wildly (between 2 and 12) every lap. This way, those who borrow heavily are at risk of punishment (and reward). The chances are your interest rate will fluctuate around 7% if you limit the moves to 0.5% (or hold) every lap.

When rolling 2 dice, you got the highest chance of rolling a ‘7’. The chances of rolling above and below a 7 are equal.

If a player decided not to borrow their full allotted amount, could this be lent by the bank to another player at a higher rate ?

That could allow a player to borrow the entire money supply and there would be no end to the game. You’d need a limit to borrowing or the game never ends.

I'll see if I can find an opponent or two this weekend and give it a trial run, couple this with some new Chance and Community chest cards and I can see this being quite a laugh for an evening entertainment ;)

I was taught to play Monopoly with a non-standard set of rules as a kid. I never realised I was playing wrong until I got to Uni and found other people playing with the proper rules (I’d never read them).

In my rules,

** There were no 'houses', only hotels.

** We allowed a maximum of 12 hotels on a single plot (We used a single green house to represent 3 hotels).

** The price to buy a hotel was charged at the rent rate (not at a set price per street). So the price to buy a hotel was £2,000 on Mayfair, £1,400 on Bond Street (IIRC)

** The rent on an un-built plot was half the purchase price of the plot. So the rent on Mayfair (with no hotels) was £200, Park Lane was £175 and Old Kent Road was £30 (IIRC)

** The above means there is no point bagging all the stations as you are only going to get £100 rent. Also, the utilities charged a fixed rent too.

** Doing the above, allows you to change all the £1’s to £1,000’s as there is no longer a use for a £1 note.

I’d say the interest rate should be allowed to adjust wildly (between 2 and 12) every lap. This way, those who borrow heavily are at risk of punishment (and reward). The chances are your interest rate will fluctuate around 7% if you limit the moves to 0.5% (or hold) every lap.

Fair comment, I have no problem with this at all, but I would like to prevent a player from getting silly and deciding to UP the rate to something like 50%. Just from the playability of the game I would like to try and keep a balanced approach where the player (Banker) who is setting the rates has the ability to know what long term strategy he/she has already thought of (prior knowledge) I would like to definitley include "shocks" where the banker has the ability to increase/decrease rates wildly..... These could be done via the chance cards and would catch players out and those around the board would be getting used to the rates.

Chance - Black Wednesday 16th September 1992, Banker allowed to increase Interest rates up to 15% above current level

Chance - Black Monday 19th October 1987, Banker allowed to increase / decrease Interest rates up to 10% of current level

Chance - Subprime mortgage crisis, Banker allowed to decrease interest rates to 0.5%

That could allow a player to borrow the entire money supply and there would be no end to the game. You’d need a limit to borrowing or the game never ends.

I think you've misunderstood. I probably didn't make my point too clear.

Example: (current rate 5%)

2 players and there’s 66% of total money supply is available to be loaned to both players, 33% each

Total money supply = $100000

Player one decides to borrow the FULL allotted amount of $33333.00 and repays the interest set by the bank each turn of the board.

Player two decides to borrow only £11111.00 therefore leaving a balance of £22222.00 available for the banker to loan to "another player" therefore if a player wanted to borrow in excess of the allotted amount then a higher interest rate of 10% (Double the current rate) would apply.

Obviously if a player decided not to pay off any of the principle loan, it'll not be too long before they are bankrupt, keep in mind we've not yet set a salary as they pass go just yet. If that interest payment is bigger than that salary they'll be selling up any property and out of the game PDQ.

The game should be to borrow just enough to allow you to purchase the property and keep your head above water, then SELL IT at the right time. The Banker will have an advantage if the rate is lowered therefore lulling the players in to a false sense of security.

There also needs to be some balancing out, I'm also thinking of having an "estate agent" player at the board that controls the property cards and will make a small set percentage on ALL the transactions.

...................To be fair I may be getting a head of myself here on the "basic" rules for this remix, but I just wanted to note these down possibly for future reference.

I was taught to play Monopoly with a non-standard set of rules as a kid. I never realised I was playing wrong until I got to Uni and found other people playing with the proper rules (I’d never read them).

In my rules.................

Who did, I never read them either – as a matter of fact I’m still not 100% sure I fully do know all the rules - lol

Really appreciate the input Ziknik - thanks