PositiveDev's trading journey

FLEX - Flextronics

Screenshot2011-02-19at000219.png

DBDT buy signal was yesterday, I've taken an initial position and may add if it breaks higher convincingly, the profit target is $9.3.

ALTR - Altera Corp

Screenshot2011-02-19at000954.png

DBDT buy signal on the 16th. Profit target $44.

USO

Screenshot2011-02-19at001219.png

This is not a system trade, with the geo-political disruptions in the middle east there is potential for this to escalate so I'm attempting a swing trade from what may be a bounce from the lower end of the channel. Profit target of $39 - $40.

I'm using calls to trade these three.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually just realised today after a bit of searching the approach I'm using is similar to what quantitative analysts do at the banks and investments houses. I'm quite amused to discover I had worked out a quantitative approach to analysing the market without even knowing what a quantitative analyst does. (I don't have any formal education relating to the market, I'm purely self-taught).

from Wikipedia;

A quantitative analyst is a person who works in finance using numerical or quantitative techniques. Similar work is done in most other modern industries, but the work is not always called quantitative analysis. In the investment industry, people who perform quantitative analysis are frequently called quants. See List of quantitative analysts.

Quantitative finance started in the U.S. in the 1970s as some astute investors began using mathematical formulae to price stocks and bonds.

Harry Markowitz's 1952 Ph.D thesis "Portfolio Selection" was one of the first papers to formally adapt mathematical concepts to finance. Markowitz formalized a notion of mean return and covariances for common stocks which allowed him to quantify the concept of "diversification" in a market. He showed how to compute the mean return and variance for a given portfolio and argued that investors should hold only those portfolios whose variance is minimal among all portfolios with a given mean return. Although the language of finance now involves Itō calculus, management of risk in a quantifiable manner underlies much of the modern theory.

In 1969 Robert Merton introduced stochastic calculus into the study of finance. Merton was motivated by the desire to understand how prices are set in financial markets, which is the classical economics question of "equilibrium," and in later papers he used the machinery of stochastic calculus to begin investigation of this issue.

Mathematical and statistical approaches

Because of their backgrounds, quants draw from three forms of mathematics: statistics and probability, calculus centered around partial differential equations, and econometrics. The majority of quants have received little formal education in mainstream economics, and often apply a mindset drawn from the physical sciences. Physicists tend to have significantly less experience of statistical techniques, and thus lean on approaches based upon partial differential equations, and solutions to these based upon numerical analysis.

So the basket of buy signals generated on 16/17th Feb were;

ALTR

CELG

CERN

COST

DIS

DLTR

FCX

GENZ

LMT

MET

ORLY

SPY

TEVA

UTX

WAG

WMB

COF

DVN

KFT

MMM

CVX

FLEX

GRMN

ILMN

SYMC

JNK

TLT

APC

DIG

ROSE

I'm a subscriber to Investors Business Daily, I took that up as Jim Sinclair recommended it as a resource and it's proving quite useful as I am not a stock picker. They have a rating system where each stock is given a composite rating between 0-100 dependent on a range of fundamental and technical factors. So out of the above basket I whittled them down to the ones that have a 75 or higher rating.

From the ones that remained I'm considering these to trade, I've posted the risk profiles for the trades I'm considering showing the downside risk and upside if target is reached per one contract/spread, and the stock beta.

CVX Chevron

CVX.png

CVX risk profile

CVXRP.png

CVX Buy 100/105 Call spread with stop at $95.75. Target $103. Cost $106. Beta 0.664.

DVN Devon Energy

DVn.png

DVN risk profile

DVNRP.png

DVN Buy 90/95 Call spread with stop at $84.75 Target $92.5. Cost $115. Beta1.06

FCX Freeport McMoran

FCX.png

FCX risk profile

FCXRP.png

FCX Buy 60 Call. Target $60. Cost $50. Beta 2.

ROSE Rosetta Resources

ROSE.png

ROSE risk profile

ROSERP.png

ROSE Buy 45 call. Target $45. Cost $115. Beta 0.85.

COF Capital One Financial

COF.png

COF risk profile

COFriskprofile.png

COF Buy 55 call. Target $55. Cost $72. Beta 1.71.

This is the risk profile for ALTR, a trade I took yesterday in haste, the risk reward is poor so I'm going to get out of that at the start of the week.

ALTRRP.png

Well I got out of ALTR 15 mins after the open for a small loss, just as well, it's down 3.55% now.

The USO trade proved to be very fortunate timing, USO is up 5.86% so far. FLEX on the other hand...not so much, down 3.68% as I write this.

That's the Yin and Yang of trading.

There was also an intraday sell signal on the NASDAQ at 3.20pm

Screenshot2011-02-22at203910.png

This was at 2364, 2.25 points from the high of the day session. Would have been an amazing entry for a short, alas I was at work

so unable to take advantage of the opportunity.

Screenshot2011-02-22at203411.png

NASDAQ is currently trading at 2322...

It's difficult to say whether this drop will be similar to the Egypt drop, a sharp drop down followed by a continuation of the rally. With crude spiking, perhaps not...

Closed the USO trade for a 551% gain, very nice. It may well go higher but in my experience if a large profit is shown quickly it's better to take it, and besides, it's above my target of $40.

Also a frustrating time as I had identified a number of possible trades CVX, DVN, FCX, ROSE and COF. I was intending to take CVX and FCX on friday, FCX is getting destroyed but CVX is flying but hesitated, thinking it would be better to wait until after the weekend.

This takes me back to my prior rule to take trades on the day the signal is generated...

I've been researching my DBDT indicator working on ratios. One of the most interesting ratios is the Gold/S&P500 ratio.

GLD/SPY 1 year chart

Screenshot2011-02-06at000411.png

Now here's my indicator working on the same ratio over the same period

Screenshot2011-02-06at001513.png

What I've done is marked out previous double bottom / double top formations, these would be respective buy / sell signals for the ratio.

23rd April buy signal (buy GLD and short SPY)

24th June buy signal (buy GLD and short SPY)

1st July sell signal (short GLD and buy SPY)

28th July buy signal (buy GLD and short SPY)

Now here are the same signals marked on the GLD/SPY ratio chart

Screenshot2011-02-06at002210.png

I was absolutely stunned when I did this, my indicator has picked out 4 signals, 3 of which gave the correct direction at the turning points in the ratio. Wow. The one on 24th June wasn't a turning point but it still got the direction of the ratio correct.

Screenshot2011-02-24at212839.png

Today my DBDT indicator generated a double top sell signal on the GLD/SPY ratio.

DBDT signal chart working on GLD/SPY ratio

Screenshot2011-02-24at210940.png

In order to trade this I bought put spreads on GLD with an equal number of call spreads on SPY; with similar deltas.

This is a bold call, effectively I am taking a position that will profit if the GLD/SPY ratio has topped and declines over the next few weeks. It would be remiss of me not to take this trade based on the previous examples where my indicator gave the correct signal at turning points in the ratio on three previous occasions. It could well be that as it worked so well previously there is a higher probability that it won't this time. We will see.

-------------------------

No other signals today

Well I had an intraday sell signal at 3:40pm on SPY

Sell signal chart with SPY

Screenshot2011-02-28at165834.png

I did something today that I never usually do and that is listen to the "Squawk" service on ThinkorSwim, the speaker was explaining how internals, breadth etc was bullish etc therefore I didn't take the signal...what an annoying feeling as I then watched it go down. For intraday futures trades I risk 4 points and my profit target is 10 points. I look for signals on the indices and when one occurs usually trade it using E-mini NASDAQ futures (as they are highly correlated). My 10 points was there for the taking. Anyone reading this of course may have been in a similar situation before, not following your plan as a result of a distraction from elsewhere. Well, the lesson is learned, the "Squawker" is now switched off!

We move on.

Buy signal on QQQQ at 5:05pm

Buy signal chart with QQQQ

Screenshot2011-02-28at172307.png

Went long E-Mini NASDAQ futures at 5:05pm

Got stopped out for a 4 point loss.

E-Mini NASDAQ intraday chart - 1 minute timeframe

Screenshot2011-02-28at182213.png

The first red line is the sell signal I didn't take, the green line is where I got long after the buy signal and the last red line is where I got stopped out.

Today would have been profitable so far had I not hesitated as a result of listening to my broker Squawk service.

The chart layout I'm using includes the volume of the day so far charted in profile across the price in light blue. It can be useful to see the price levels where the largest volume of trade took place, at the point of the screen grab it was 2360, the darkest blue line depicts this as the highest volume price level. You can also see slightly lighter lines above (2362) and below (2351) that level. The price area between those lines is where 68% of the trade volume took place so far today.

Sell signal at 16:10 on the NASDAQ

Screenshot2011-03-01at182252.png

Screenshot2011-03-01at171949.png

E-Mini NASDAQ with sell and buy back points

Screenshot2011-03-01at165654.png

Screenshot2011-03-01at165727.png

Despite having a limit order to take profit after 10 points I closed it just before it reached the 10 point mark, as if after moving 9.75 points the market would suddenly turn around with me waiting for my final 0.25!

That's just a little nerves I think, I'm effectively an amatuer at this point when it comes to trading futures.

A much better situation than yesterday's debacle!

Just in case anyone is wondering I have taken all the afternoons off work (at last) for two weeks to see what I can do with my indicator in the futures market. It all started through the frustration of coming home to see great signals that occured whilst I was at work.

It's really consistency I am looking for, both in the quality of my signals and my own ability to follow my trading plan.

I just want to put on record a trade opportunity today that didn't go to plan. Another missed trade, makes me feel sick this one, expecially as I was close to putting it on.

Here's my sell indicator giving a double top, a sell signal at 17:10

Screenshot2011-03-01at203321.png

It's unfortunate to admit this but I was reading something online, came back to my platform a couple of mins after the signal and put the order in a couple of minutes later than I should have, at the point I put my limit order in the market dropped a small amount, so my order wasn't filled, I left it for a few minutes then just cancelled it thinking the opportunity was missed.

Screenshot2011-03-01at202545.png

I then read some articles and watched CNBC for a while and when I went back to my platform I saw that, had I left my order in, I would have been filled at a good price for the trade. Later of course I see that it would have led to the score of a further 10 points.

This is where I should have entered (equivalent sell signal point) on E-mini NASDAQ futures

Screenshot2011-03-01at233753.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDfGNJ19xAQ

It's at this point I would just like to say this is exactly how I feel about it....

No matter what I need to stay focussed on my indicator charts almost constantly to watch for signals.

A couple of trades today on E-mini NASDAQ

Buy signal at 15:50

Screenshot2011-03-02at193412.png

Sell signal at 16:50

Screenshot2011-03-02at193529.png

I was stopped out on both of these trades.

Screenshot2011-03-02at193608.png

Screenshot2011-03-02at193947-1.png

Above chart shows the buy and sell points for the first trade, and the sell and buy points for the second.

Unfortunately, today was very disappointing;

The first trade moved up 6.5 points and I just allowed it to come down and hit my stop, that was a bad mistake. I will invoke a new rule from today so that if a trade goes 5 points in the correct direction I will then move my stop to the point of entry in order to remove my risk from the trade.

For the second trade I didn't get filled when I placed the limit order, and I left the order in until filled, after yesterday's trade this seemed like a good idea, but by the time I got filled the move had already taken place, and so that trade was also stopped out. Another bad mistake, hindsight makes it look even worse. Had I used a market order to enter the trade, I would have got in when I wanted to, rather than let the market dictate the timing of my entry. The market did then move in the correct direction for 8.75 points from the point I set the limit order.

So, from now on, if the trade moves 5 points in my favour, I will change my initial 4 point stop to the level where I got filled, removing my risk from the trade.

From now on I will only enter trades using market orders, and only use limit orders to exit trades. This will ensure I get into a trade when I want to and out at the price level I want to.

On the positive side I took the trades when my DBDT indicator signalled for me to do so.

(I tried to post this yesterday but had some problems)

DBDT sell signal chart

Screenshot2011-03-03at210355.png

A very clear sell signal on my proprietary indicator today at 16:05, in fact it morphed from a double to a triple top.

Today was not a day to be short.

Sell and buy back points on E-mini NASDAQ

Screenshot2011-03-03at210545.png

Result - stopped out for a loss of 4 points.

Screenshot2011-03-03at210419.png

In the past I have been trading my indicator using stocks with some success, positions that I have typically held for a number of days. This is mainly down to the fact that I have a full-time job, however once home I would always check how the indicator performed on an intra-day basis on the S&P500 and NASDAQ and many times it came up with brilliant entries for short-term trades in the first few hours of trade, whilst I was at work (I'm based in the UK). It was this that led me to take time off work in March in order to trade these intra-day signals using the futures.

The doubts are starting to creep in.

Screenshot2011-03-03at220523.png

Some words from the master;

It's hard to admit but it could well be that the indicator worked previously as a result of randomness and not because it was doing something that I thought it was doing. That could be the flaw here. It could also be that the model it is based on is no longer valid, however markets are dynamic so it's not realistic for an indicator to work all the time.

Should I stick or twist?

I will persist.

The day so far...

Sell signal on my proprietary DBDT indicator at 16:05

Screenshot2011-03-04at171915.png

A nice entry point using my indicator, sold e-Mini NASDAQ at 2365.50, the price went down 5 points so I moved my stop to breakeven as per my new rule, and here is the result;

Screenshot2011-03-04at172857.png

Screenshot2011-03-04at172912.png

I got stopped out at my breakeven point, then, 6 minutes later, the market began a collapse to a level more than 20 points below my entry point. It looks like it may have now bottomed around the 2345 level.

IRRMAT-1.jpg

Well, this is all part of the learning process, that was my 10th futures trade so I can't expect to be hitting it out of the park just yet.

On the positive side my indicator picked a cracking entry point, and I didn't lose any money on it, commissions aside.

The markets seem to be keying off higher oil prices at the moment and seemed to be spooked following a strong rally in crude futures that started just after I got stopped out.

I ran a study of the ten futures trades to date;

Screenshot2011-03-06at210148.png

Noted some basic details regarding signal and trade dates/times along with order type, and whether the market went in a favourable direction or not.

Also noted were any initial market movements and the stop that would be required to withstand these initial moves prior to the market going in a favourable direction. For the trades when my DBDT indicator signalled a good entry point, with the market going in the correct direction, the stop size required was 4 points.

What I also looked at was the type of trailing stop that would have been sufficient to maximise the return on the set of trades. What I found is that based on the trades I took, it appears that a sensible approach would be to combine an initial fixed stop of 4 points along with a trailing stop of 8 points, each as part of a One Cancels the Other order (OCO), initiated along with the buy or sell order at trade outset.

Obviously ten trades is a statistically insufficient sample size to base a strategy on, but I have to start somewhere, and the removal of my 10 points profit target seems reasonable as it's the losses I need to keep the reins on, not the profits.

This would have meant a gain of 41.5 NASDAQ points, instead of a loss of 2 points, over the ten trades.

I'll be using this approach over the coming week, let's see what happens.

I had the most frustrating day today. Let me explain. The indicator I developed is essentially a formula into which I input various different securities, my TOS platform then gives me the result as a chart. It's intended to model contrasting forces within the market. I look for double tops or bottoms on the chart, these are classed as sell or buy signals respectively.

Today I got a double top sell signal for NASDAQ at 15:00, now when I see a double top developing it only counts as a double top if the next 5 minute portion of the signal chart moves down away from the second peak of the double top. So what I do is refresh the chart 5 minutes after the second peak of the double top, if the double top remains it is then a confirmed sell signal. The second peak of the double top was at 14:55 so I had my sell order ready.

Here's the initial chart (screen grab was taken later in the day so there is more data shown than was available at the time)

Screenshot2011-03-07at215024.png

The chart shows there is a clear double top fully formed at 15:00 however when I refreshed the chart at the 5 minute point the chart changed with the first peak (based on historic data) becoming lower than the second. At the time I thought it was down to bad data. Here's how the chart changed;

Screenshot2011-03-07at215153.png

You can see the initial peak of the double top is lower. Due to this I didn't take the trade. I then spotted a double bottom buy signal at 16:10 and went long the E-mini NASDAQ futures and was stopped out at 16:36.

Screenshot2011-03-07at221838.png

E-mini NASDAQ buy and sell points

Screenshot2011-03-07at215726.png

Later on I refreshed the chart again and the original double top sell signal at 15:00 came back! I could hardly believe my eyes. It looks like I may have found some sort of problem that means the chart plot is not consistently reliable. It should be since each data point apart from the current one being created is based on historic data therefore if anything should change as the chart develops over time it should only be the 5 minute section being created not previous sections of the chart. Moreover when the chart displays the double top at 15:00 the double bottom buy signal at 16:10 wasn't shown. Highly frustrating and confusing.

I've emailed the tech people at TOS as if you refresh a chart everything should be the same, apart from the most recent data point but I've found that sometimes when you refresh the chart the data is different. Clearly this is not supposed to happen. Had I not had this issue I would have sold short at 15:00 and that would have been a fantastic entry point, coupled with my new 8 trailing stop rule it would have yielded a great many points.

One trade is not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, what's much more important is to have a reliable chart that doesn't change previous data points when it's refreshed. I'm now in a difficult situation if I can't trust the data I'm getting that creates my signal charts.

Screenshot2011-03-07at225350.png

Edit - I think what I'm going to do is create a spreadsheet that calculates the value of the level where the plot should be for each point of a double top (or bottom). That way if I see one developing I can manually check the chart is correct using the 5 minute window while I wait to confirm the formation is valid before I take the trade.

I was slightly apprehensive going into today after the situation yesterday. I decided that I will refresh my indicator charts several times if I get a clear signal just to check whether it remains consistent or not. On balance I think that's the best way forward, I'm hoping yesterday was a one-off. The signals I got today remained after refreshing the charts...

My DBDT indicator had a clear buy signal on both SPY and DIA at 14:55 today

DBDT SPY signal chart

Screenshot2011-03-08at162947.png

DBDT DIA signal chart

Screenshot2011-03-08at163043.png

Went long E-Mini NASDAQ at 14:55

Buy and sell points on E-Mini NASDAQ

Screenshot2011-03-08at163340.png

A great entry point today. As mentioned before, I now use an 8 point trailing stop. After the initial rally, the market came back to 2330.50 but my trail stop wasn't triggered despite having been trailed up to 2331.25. Thankfully I was keeping tabs on the trade so when I clocked this I closed the position at the then market price of 2332, for a 13 point gain.

Screenshot2011-03-08at170309.png

I had set the trail stop to trigger a limit order 0.25 below the ask price but nothing happened so I'm going to change my default order to include a market order with the trail stop to make sure I get out when I'm supposed to. For some of the trades I take an 8 point trail will be sufficient, others not. I think 8 points could strike the right balance. Once I get through a lot more trades I should be able to make a more informed decision.

Ideally I want to curb discretionary decisions whilst in a trade as I think discretionary decisions can sometimes be emotional decisions. I don't want to be trading the market based on emotion.

NOWORDS.gif

Zen and the art of no emotion

Today's efforts...

Buy signal on my DBDT indicator at 14:50

Signal.png

Went long E-mini NASDAQ at 14:50, filled at 2316.50

E-mini NASDAQ buy and sell points

Screenshot2011-03-09at172450.png

Stopped out within 15 minutes at 2312.50. It was rather unfortunate as 2312.50 was a low that the market then rallied from up to 2330.75...

I asked Charlie Sheen for his advice;

charlie_sheenWINNINGP.png

Well I didn't get any signals to trade the indices today.

One of the big stories today was the sharp move down in oil so while there was nothing going on with my DBDT indicator working on S&P500, NASDAQ or DJIA I took a look at Crude oil.

Around 15:30 I could see a potential buy signal was shaping up on Crude oil. At 15:45 a double bottom started forming on my DBDT indicator working on Crude so I had 5 minutes to decide what to do. Trading Crude isn't part of my plan, my plan is just to trade the E-Mini NASDAQ, so I had a look at E-mini Crude and lined up a buy order, waiting for 15:50 for the signal to be confirmed but I stopped myself from going ahead with with it as firstly I wasn't familiar with the $ per tick, had never really looked at it so had absolutely no idea what sort of stop loss would be appropriate and finally saw that the volume traded on the contract seemed to be super low at times. There are some 5 minute bars where literally only a handful of contracts traded.

Now in hindsight I see it would have been a peach of a trade........

Here's my indicator working on Crude;

Screenshot2011-03-10at192628.png

A classic double bottom on my indicator, a very emphatic buy signal. The chart is covering from 3rd March until present. Some of you may be thinking "Well hang on, that's just a double bottom". Well actually, it's not. It's not a normal double bottom as it didn't appear on the chart of Crude itself, only on my indicator working on the Crude chart. This is where my indicator can be very interesting at times.

Crude oil futures on the same timeframe as my indicator

Screenshot2011-03-10at194337.png

What I've shown here is that the bottom in Crude on 3rd March is not in alignment with today's bottom in Crude so it's not a double bottom in the actual futures market but is when I use my indicator.

The next chart shows 15:50, when the buy signal was confirmed and where I could have bought, had I been prepared, anyway I was too concerned about lack of liquidity in the E-mini contract.

Possibleentry.png

The buy point is 5 minutes after the low of the day. It is exactly this type of setup that gave me confidence in my indicator and led me to take March off work to trade the E-Mini NASDAQ using it.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I posted before that I see one of my strengths as being my objectivity. I think that's right, but I also think I'm self-effacing. Yesterday didn't work out.

What a painful experience this is, but I know this is part of the process.

I made 5 mistakes yesterday. The first one I made was to think I could trade away from my home. My girlfriend wanted to go to a friend's birthday party after her work. I'm off work right now so protested but yielded and decided that I would go to Starbucks (SBUX) to trade whilst I wait for her to finish. Connectivity was an E minus. My internet dongle provided me with connectivity of C minus.

For some mysterious reason I decided that I might be able to "enhance" my indicator by....changing it. Caffeine is a very strong drug of course. I had one coffee, then later a nice young gentleman offered me a trial of a new coffee they were offering, I graciously accepted, perhaps all the caffeine distorted my thinking....

So I changed my indicator in a curve-fit type of manner and it gave a sell signal at 15.55.

Curvefit.png

I was filled at 2278.50 and a few minutes later thought I should move my stop 0.25 points closer from 2282.50 to 2282.25 (Why?). But in error, sent a buy order at a limit price of 2281.25 instead, which was then filled. I then decided as it was a mistake to get out of the trade, I should get back into the trade. I then sold some minutes later 2278.75, and got stopped out at 2283 some minutes later than that.

Then I got a signal on my normal indicator at 18:05 so sold at 2294, price went my way but I was taken out by my trail stop by 19:31 at 2295.50.

Total loss for the day 8.5 NASDAQ points.

So the five mistakes were;

1 Thinking I could trade outside my normal environment

2 Drinking too much caffeine

3 Changing my indicator and making a trade based on it

4 Attempting to change my stop for no good reason

5 Making an execution error

On the plus side I took the trade that my normal indicator offered.

If I can't be at home in front of my systems with good connectivity then I will simply abstain from trading as yesterday was just one big painful money losing lesson.

I categorically would not recommend trading away from home, there are far too many distractions and connectivity issues.

So the five mistakes were;

1 Thinking I could trade outside my normal environment

2 Drinking too much caffeine

3 Changing my indicator and making a trade based on it

4 Attempting to change my stop for no good reason

5 Making an execution error

On the plus side I took the trade that my normal indicator offered.

If I can't be at home in front of my systems with good connectivity then I will simply abstain from trading as yesterday was just one big painful money losing lesson.

I categorically would not recommend trading away from home, there are far too many distractions and connectivity issues.

Hope you don't mind me saying your honest post raised a smile, not at your loss, but the chronicle of events.

With regard to trading away, aside from connectivity, would this still not have worked if you had stuck to buy/sell targets? Myself I find so long as you can keep discipline, then it still works - maybe not though if you need to study patterns before trading?

Archived