Old, Wrinkly & LOADED – Investing for Retirement

I was lucky enough to be employed by generous pension paying companies for the first 5 years of my career and I was able to build up a relatively healthy pension pot without contributing much money myself. For the past 3 years, I have been quietly investing this money in various funds. I’ve made an occasional post on GEI about my fund choices, but most of it is scattered across various threads.

The purpose of this thread is to bring together my pension trading in a single thread. I might pick out some of the past posts I have made and quote them in this thread to provide some back ground to my current position.

I tend to keep my money in ‘pots’ and try to apply a different trading/investing technique to each pot of money. My other pots are

1. Dividends Paying Shares for the long term http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=6192

2. Pension (this thread)

3. My Mortgage http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....showtopic=10117

4. General Investing (Gold, silver, Sterling & debt)

5. Trading (Gambling for fun with a small amount of money I can afford to loose)

I generally only mention pots [4] & [5] in the main forums, so anything you see in another thread has nothing to do with this thread.

All of my dividends paying shares are currently held in a SIPP so there can be cash transfers between pots [1] & [2]

I am intending to trade with my Pension pot [2] similar to my Trading pot [5]. The difference is: I cannot afford to loose my pension. It’s a LOT of money to me (if I ever get it)

I don’t intend to trade often, but I will review my holdings regularly to make sure I am doing OK.

I am intending to trade with my Pension pot [2] similar to my Trading pot [5]. The difference is: I cannot afford to loose my pension. It’s a LOT of money to me (if I ever get it)

I don’t intend to trade often, but I will review my holdings regularly to make sure I am doing OK.

You want to trade "safe" asset in the same way as "trading assets"?

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

You want to trade "safe" asset in the same way as "trading assets"?

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

I don't think there will be any "safe" trading.

All of my trading will carry a risk. However, I am going to put a lot more thought into my pension trading than I do with my trading account where I pretty much gamble on coin tosses (because I can afford to lose and I enjoy the gamble).

These are the current assets.

Blackrock Gold & General - 117% up

Allianz RCM Japan - 10% up

JP Morgan Natural Resources - 153% up

Schroder Japan Alpha Plus - 34% up

Investec Global Energy - 48% up

All the above are in a Personal Pension. It's really hard for me to buy & sell without incurring huge fee's so I am going to cash up and transfer to a new SIPP provider

CF Ruffer Gold Fund - 166% up

Kazakhmy - 593% up

There's current no cash.

Archived