Buying land in the UK (SE)

Does anyone here have experience/knowledge of the land markets in the UK?

I've been looking at houses in London prime commuter-ville and having seen a lot, I am pretty dissapointed with most of what we have seen.

Has anyone looked at buying land? I imagine its fairly hard to come buy, and quite possibly as exasperating as looking for a house to buy.

Where is the best place to look - internet, estate agents (?) or are there different places?

Probably seen about 30 houses and 3 have been liveable (taking into account asking price).

First piece of advice form Channel 4:

2. Finding Land

Building on a virgin plot of land is almost impossible, so don’t buy a field. Your best bet is to go to a regular estate agent and look for an ugly, badly built bungalow which no local authority could claim to be attached to, flatten it and start again.

Beware of buying any building before 1940, as it could be deemed to be of historic value – even if it’s ugly. The British planners’ attachment to the old knows no realistic bounds.

Does anyone here have experience/knowledge of the land markets in the UK?

I've been looking at houses in London prime commuter-ville and having seen a lot, I am pretty dissapointed with most of what we have seen.

Has anyone looked at buying land? I imagine its fairly hard to come buy, and quite possibly as exasperating as looking for a house to buy.

Where is the best place to look - internet, estate agents (?) or are there different places?

Probably seen about 30 houses and 3 have been liveable (taking into account asking price).

Try Farmers' Weekly - a few small holdings get advertised in there but probably those in the SE are few and far between.

I think the website is www.fw.co.uk - but check under Commodity Corner thread and look for VictorBroom - he put me on to it.

Can't say I know much about buying land as I have never bought any. Just a farmer's son that's all.

Here's a couple of links for starters:

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/index.asp

http://resources.knightfrank.com/GetResear...e.ashx?id=11999

http://www.struttandparker.com/html2/home/?stype=farms

More comment to follow... Apologies... In a rush, we start combining this afternoon.

Farmer's Weekly Link

Chazza - How far have you got with your thoughts on buying some land? As in, is it just for a hedge/long term investment or would you want to have some sort of annual return on it?

You'll perhaps see individual fields for sale in a local newspaper. Often these will be sold at auction at the local village/town hall or such like. Have a wander down to an auction to see what it's all about.

If I were buying, I'd certainly include some woodland. Plenty of scope.

Farmer's Weekly Link

Chazza - How far have you got with your thoughts on buying some land? As in, is it just for a hedge/long term investment or would you want to have some sort of annual return on it?

You'll perhaps see individual fields for sale in a local newspaper. Often these will be sold at auction at the local village/town hall or such like. Have a wander down to an auction to see what it's all about.

If I were buying, I'd certainly include some woodland. Plenty of scope.

Thanks all,

I havent got very far yet, need to spend the time doing the research. More for building a home on given the crap offered up on the housing market.

• 1 month later...

Archived