Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Please note: CERTIFY.

Not NOTARISE.

I believe the former is a lot cheaper biggrin.gif

This is: A suitable person certifying that a copy of your document is a true likeness.

They do this by:

1. Writing or stamping something like: "I certify this is a true likeness".
2. They sign it.
3. They write their name, the firms name, address, and use the firms stamp.

They need to see the original and the copy.

Examples:

What Barclays bank requires:
http://www.barclays....cumentation.htm

What Gold Money require:
http://www.goldmoney.com/en/cap.html

With more details, and a form for the certifier here: http://www.goldmoney...dividual-A4.pdf

I write from experience in the UK and New Zealand. Things may be slightly different in other countries.

For the UK I used a local solicitor. Free because she was doing our conveyancing.
In NZ, a local police station does it free of charge.

It would be good if anyone who has successfully been through this route post what type of person they used for certification, and the approx. cost.
Fiat: What starts becoming worth less eventually becomes worthless.

Notable Threads Notable Posts

#2 Pixel8r

Pixel8r

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  • Interests:Photography, computers, business, precious metals & stocks, motorbikes & running 24knews.com

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

A well needed thread.

I got my accountant to do mine, he told me he gets asked all the time. It cost me nothing and he just pulled out his stamp and did it.

#3 igglepiggle

igglepiggle

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Steve Netwriter @ Jan 29 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be good if anyone who has successfully been through this route post what type of person they used for certification, and the approx. cost.

Cashier at lloyds tsb local branch. She stamped it with a stamp available for that express purpose and signed it. Took 2 minutes, was free of charge, was acceptable for CAP verification at Goldmoney.

#4 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (igglepiggle @ Jan 29 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cashier at lloyds tsb local branch. She stamped it with a stamp available for that express purpose and signed it. Took 2 minutes, was free of charge, was acceptable for CAP verification at Goldmoney.

Are you a Lloyds TSB customer ?
Did she know you were ?

#5 igglepiggle

igglepiggle

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Steve Netwriter @ Jan 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you a Lloyds TSB customer ?
Did she know you were ?

Yes I am a customer, cannot remember if she asked to see my debit card or not. I imagine all major banks have a similar stamp though.

#6 romans holiday

romans holiday

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Free of charge with a bank manager at Westpac Bank [in NZ]. I just had a credit card with them.
Modern money "shorts" the currency, and is backed by debt. The debt is real. A debt deflation will lead to a prolonged period of deleveraging, where the short-covering of currencies will strengthen currencies relative to asset prices. At the global level, in the FX market, central currencies will benefit from deleveraging at the expense of peripheral currencies. Due to instability and uncertainty, gold will benefit against all currencies as it continues to be re-monetized.

Hold on to your hats for hyper-deflation, where cash is king, and gold the King of cash.
[Silver? A Volatile Queen].

#7 pipkin

pipkin

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

£6.90 at the post office using their identity checking service. My docs were accepted by GoldMoney

#8 Vicarious

Vicarious

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

it's along tiem ago but I walked into HBOS with my monthly credit card bill and they certified it for nothing, they did ask what is was for though, and then tried to flog me an investment bond with they said would be better than gold.

#9 casimir

casimir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Did it twice with a bank clerk at one of the Natwest branches in the past 2 years.

#10 igglepiggle

igglepiggle

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (casimir @ Jan 29 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did it twice with a bank clerk at one of the Natwest branches in the past 2 years.

You must be a valued customer, I just get a look of total disdain from the cute girl at my branch. laugh.gif

#11 Ziknik

Ziknik

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

I asked a Solicitor to certify my documents. Someone I know personally, so I didn’t pay anything.

She wrote “I certify this is a correct and true copy of a document held by Ziknik”.

She wrote her name, the date, her employers address and her Law Society role number. And signed her name.

Form memory, I waited about a week for my account.

#12 No6

No6

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

From GoldMoney.

What documents are required?

To verify your identity, we request that you provide us with:

1) A notarised/certified true copy of a government-issued photo ID such as a passport, national identity card or driver's license. A military identity card is also acceptable.

2) An original utility bill, bank statement or tax bill on which your name and street address are printed.

These documents are collected for verification purposes only and are not disclosed to outside parties for marketing or other purposes.

Re number one, there must be some people that don't have a passport, national identity card or driver's license, so what will GoldMoney accept as proof? Anyone had to provide something other than these docs?

#13 pyewackitt

pyewackitt

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

I used a local solicitor for this - was very easy to arrange and cost under 20pounds - i needed multiple copies for dealing accounts etc so it made sense to get all the documentation certified properly.

#14 callmejoe

callmejoe

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

The Post Office service sounds interesting.

I have noticed that while banks and building societies have been happy in the past to certify copy documents, a number of them will not do so any more. I think there has been some tightening of regulations/rules/legislation. I was always able to pop into the Northern Rock for this but not these days. Likewise my local Lloyds where they refused to sign any certification for third parties. I called their head office who said while they have not disallowed this service, it was up the local bank manager's discretion and if he refuses, there is nothing that head office can do to force him to certify documents.

My local police station will do it but it's no longer free unlike a few years ago. They wanted £25 from me last year.

It's been such a hassle to get any financial institution in my neck of the woods to certify copy documents for third parties. I haven't tried the Co-op yet so that'll be my first port of call next time.

#15 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Guys, on behalf of all the people your comments will help, I'd like to say "thanks for your great posts".
Please keep them coming.
Things obviously change, so recent experience is particularly interesting biggrin.gif

#16 6v6

6v6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Well I'm going through this at the moment, trying to get the CAP faff sorted for GM, so thanks for this thread.

I've tried the post-office route, and discovered that only the biggest post-offices can do it. I went to my local one yesterday, and got a blank look from the cashier, basically she said she couldn't do it because her computer didn't have the option to charge me for it (computer says no.... laugh.gif )

Anyway, my accountant is not really local, so I guess I'll try the main post office on Saturday (always huge queues, sigh..)

#17 bazzer

bazzer

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

I just wondered into a random solicitors office in town - no appointment, don't even know the guy either. Gave him the photocopy of my passport, showed him the real passport. He retrieved one of his many stamps, stamped it, signed it, filled in the CAP form and away I went. Cost a tenner.

#18 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

One little point I've just remembered.

Our solicitor was not happy to certify our passports without both of us being present. I had thought it was simply a matter of certifying that it was a true likeness. Not sure why, but that was her requirement, so if you want to open a joint account, you may need both parties present, or at least the certifier to already be very familiar with the people involved.

#19 No6

No6

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (No6 @ Jan 29 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From GoldMoney.

To verify your identity, we request that you provide us with:

1) A notarised/certified true copy of a government-issued photo ID such as a passport, national identity card or driver's license. A military identity card is also acceptable.

2) An original utility bill, bank statement or tax bill on which your name and street address are printed.

These documents are collected for verification purposes only and are not disclosed to outside parties for marketing or other purposes.

Re number one, there must be some people that don't have a passport, national identity card or driver's license, so what will GoldMoney accept as proof? Anyone had to provide something other than these docs?

Just bumping this to see if anyone has an answer.

#20 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Local magistrate. They usually have surgeries when you can pop along and get it done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users