9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: 9am EST, November 6th, 2008 - The voting counts are now closing in on their final percentages and here is the latest approximate tally based upon a known U.S. voting-age population of 231,229,580 and currently-estimated voter turnout of 133,300,000:

97,929,000 - 42.35% - NOTA <<<< WINNER !!!!
63,500,000 - 27.46% - OBAMA <<<< 2nd
55,800,000 - 24.13% - MCCAIN <<<< 3rd
14,000,000 - 06.05% - OTHER

Despite being ignored by the national media, the least-known and least-publicized presidential candidate, NOTA, quietly circled his wagons again this year and drew in - at the very last minute in a surprise capitulation - an overwhelming plurality of votes, completely trouncing both big-party, big-money favorites; namely Barack Hussein “ For Change ” Obama and John “ War Hero-Renegade ” McCain. Despite all the focus-group strategizing and labeling and the “comic-book-action-figure- like” packaging mustered around each of them and, despite the prime-time duo's flashy, glitzy, “made-for-TV” campaigns, AMERICA'S TRUE MAJORITY calmly rose above the fray, refusing once again to be swayed or distracted by all the war-paint and shiny wrappers, and steadfastly stood by their preferred representative , NOTA.

NOTA - who mounted a surprisingly quiet and stubbornly unorthodox, “off the radar” solo campaign - refrained from choosing a running-mate, shunned participation in any staged and suspicious “TV debates”, and ran wholly without the help or support of any strong-arm lobbyists, self-important “special-interest” groups, religious fervor, corporate influence, party affiliation, and without a single dime of public or private financial support or even using any form of political advertising whatsoever. Despite these long odds, NOTA stepped up to the plate and blasted his one pitch straight out of the park. What many found to be most refreshing was that NOTA ran an “admirably clean and inoffensive” campaign against all of the media-hyped favorites and, quite literally, “stole the whole show and ate the whole sloppy enchilada” in the words of one enlightened (and hungry) observer.
Now that we have the great national distraction of the elections behind us and the facts bear out once again that THERE IS NO REAL REPRESENTATION FOR THE TRUE AMERICAN MAJORITY in Washington, DC, we should open a brand-new national dialogue to discuss what we can do about this critical problem.

Click on article for complete details:

http://www.marketora...rticle7163.html
Fiat: What starts becoming worth less eventually becomes worthless.

Notable Threads Notable Posts

#2 Ziknik

Ziknik

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

Not turning up to the election to vote is not the same as voting None Of The Above (NOTA).

#3 gwizzie

gwizzie

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

I would like to see the stats to show how many people actually queued up to vote NOTA.
I would imagine it is small
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederick Bastiat

#4 littledavesab

littledavesab

TERMINATOR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

We dont get NOTA in the UK.

But we do get the option of the Monster Raving Loony Party

Which IMO is better !!!

http://www.omrlp.com/

And they have re eel policies

Hidden amongst the private papers of Marlon Brando has been found the most brilliant plan to make each and every house in Britain independant of the electrics works companies. Brando envisaged a plan to string electric eels round and about the swimming pool and then run cables to the house to electricly power the edifice.Indeed a bold and inovative plan. All that remains is for the M.R.L. to take up his engineering genius and free the British people from slavery to the electric works.Marlon Brando with his scheme to provide free and readily available eel-ectricity to the people,the people who make up humanity! Oh the humanity of Brando! Genius extraordinare.

http://www.omrlp.com...e=eel-ectricity biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Inflation / Deflation ?? How about STAGFLATION everyone is right but everyone is wrong!
- (Update) Everyone wrong...... except Goldman Sachs apparently !!!!!!!

If you have an idea for podcast of the week post it here: http://www.greenener...pic=10990&st=40

#5 gabriel959

gabriel959

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Not everyone that didn't vote was saying that they didn't like any of the available options.

In Spain we have a system were you can go an vote "blank". This will count as None of the parties represent me. Well, when there are elections the results for people that voted blank are never higher than a couple of percent.

I reckon out of that 47% around 30%-40% didn't really care.

#6 Layman

Layman

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Doing the maths...

Voting-age population of 231,229,580
Currently-estimated voter turnout of 133,300,000

63,500,000 - 27.46% - OBAMA
55,800,000 - 24.13% - MCCAIN
14,000,000 - 06.05% - OTHER
= 133,300,000

So according to that, NO-ONE voted specifically for "None Of The Above"
97,929,000 - 42.35% - just couldn't be arsed or weren't able to vote

Seems like a non-article to me. Over 55% turnout is pretty good these days, isn't it?

#7 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:12 AM

I think sometimes you guys take thinks a little too seriously, and a little too literally biggrin.gif
Maybe I need a "Steve isn't being totally serious here" smilie biggrin.gif

I think the "Monster Raving Loony Party" suggestion is more the way I was thinking biggrin.gif

There is no NOTA vote in the US. So yes, it's a measure of the number who didn't vote.
But, I did find that article interesting, and thought provoking.
Just think about how many people didn't vote for the winner unsure.gif

It's was interesting today because we had a vote in the New Zealand elections. No doubt you've all heard about them, and have been following them closely laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Interesting because we have PR (proportional representation). The voting paper had a list of people standing for our local area. So we get to vote for a person, and another list of parties to vote for.
That was an amazingly long and varied list

It made me realise how much more democratic it felt here, with so many options. Very very different to the UK where it's A or B, and even more different from what I've seen from the US.

I love this country.
My wife said "it's our first vote". The guy recording the details said "welcome to New Zealand" biggrin.gif

I must say, today slightly restored my faith in democracy, and has made me slightly less cynical.

#8 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

This says it all:

Hayley Westenra - Pokarekare Ana
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=koi_f3fB2h8

#9 Hamishk

Hamishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Steve Netwriter @ Nov 8 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's was interesting today because we had a vote in the New Zealand elections. No doubt you've all heard about them, and have been following them closely laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Interesting because we have PR (proportional representation). The voting paper had a list of people standing for our local area. So we get to vote for a person, and another list of parties to vote for.
That was an amazingly long and varied list

It made me realise how much more democratic it felt here, with so many options.

Steve,
voted myself today... Having lived in Australia for a while I prefer their system of Single Transferable Vote. (STV)

With the PR system in NZ voters have no say on the makeup of the list of candidates for a party. Whereas in Australia, if you really don't like someone from a party, you can take pleasure in putting that person last, and all the others above them.

And if you really like someone you can put them first. Not enough space or time to fully describe the Australian system. Having lived there and voted there, STV ensures that every so often quality independents get in. Unlike NZ. And once in, if they truly represent their electorate, they tend to keep being elected. Unlike party hacks who have to toe their party line than truly represent their electorate.

At least in this election there was the ability to vote for the "Bill & Ben" party. Here follows a response to a question about their cycling policy

======== snip from http://www.vorb.org....pict-88085.html ========

In the interests of us making a more informed discussion this coming general election on Friday the 17th of October Tama sent this e-mail requesting the cycling specific policies of all the major political parties. This is the response from the Bill and Ben Party:

The Bill and Ben party loves cyclists, especially the slim fit ladies wearing white lycra on a hot summers day when the sweat turns it ever so slightly see-through and their tight little a………………….. *cough hmmmm back on subject. Cyclists, hmmm, well in our time we have seen many a, um, peddler and we have decided to pursue these points.
Unlike other political parties that promise so much and deliver so little, the Bill and Ben Party promise to promise nothing. And yes, we do realise that by promising no promises we are actually making a promise, but that’s the only promise we’re going to make. We promise.

Put the PARTY back into Political Party
Party Vote Bill and Ben
======== end snip ==========================
and from the wikipedia entry

===== snip =====
Further details have emerged about the party, which now states that it managed to secure its required five hundred members for Electoral Act registration after locating the requisite number of inebriated university students outside a student drinking establishment.
===== end snip ====

And the most appealing part of their party is that if the get 5% then there will be less politicians in parliament!!. There are only Bill & Ben on their list. And if you are not allowed to add members to the list after the election then there will be less members of parliament.

#10 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Gibber @ Nov 8 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,
voted myself today... Having lived in Australia for a while I prefer their system of Single Transferable Vote. (STV)

With the PR system in NZ voters have no say on the makeup of the list of candidates for a party. Whereas in Australia, if you really don't like someone from a party, you can take pleasure in putting that person last, and all the others above them.

And if you really like someone you can put them first. Not enough space or time to fully describe the Australian system. Having lived there and voted there, STV ensures that every so often quality independents get in. Unlike NZ. And once in, if they truly represent their electorate, they tend to keep being elected. Unlike party hacks who have to toe their party line than truly represent their electorate.

Interesting.
In the UK I was against the idea of PR. But I am more than willing to change my view, and from what I have seen so far, it seems to me PR isn't such a bad idea. Your description of STV sounds good.

After the vote my wife asked me who I voted for. I said, the "Free Fish on Friday" party.
If you think about it, that's quite subtle biggrin.gif
And could appeal to voters with completely different views biggrin.gif

It's interesting to see the results on TV.

It looks like it's a National led coalition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users