32 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

I know from a previous discussion on here that there are two main ways people view this forum:

1. Clicking on the "View New Posts" link.

2. Visiting the main "The Global Edge": Main Discussion" area.

I gather that people use method (2) because they have limited time. This is completely understandable.

I would hope that sometime we would be able to have a per user customisation system which would offer much greater flexibility for each user to select the threads they are interested in, in an order that suits them. But we do not have that yet. So we have to live with what we do have.

Now I find it slightly frustrating that if I create a thread and put it in "the correct area", some percentage of the members on here may never see it, because they use method (2). I think other members also find this frustrating.

Now I can see two possible outcomes to this:

1. In order to be seen, everyone ends up creating threads in the "The Global Edge": Main Discussion" area. The obvious result would be that those that use method (2) will end up with as many things to look at as they would have had if they had used method (1).
And in order to tidy up that area, the mods would have to be constantly moving threads after "seasoning" to the right area, so they can more easily be found later.

2. That more people can be persuaded (at least some times) to use the "View New Posts" link, so they get to see all new threads.

I seek your comments.

I guess the result will determine whether people tend to create threads only in the top area, or whether they put them in what they think is the right area.

To me, putting a thread in the right area, is not "hiding it". Instead, it is good housekeeping. But then I always use the "View New Posts" link.

Fiat: What starts becoming worth less eventually becomes worthless.

Notable Threads Notable Posts

#2 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

I've put this in the top area, so everyone will see it tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#3 romans holiday

romans holiday

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Steve... guilty of 2. tongue.gif
Modern money "shorts" the currency, and is backed by debt. The debt is real. A debt deflation will lead to a prolonged period of deleveraging, where the short-covering of currencies will strengthen currencies relative to asset prices. At the global level, in the FX market, central currencies will benefit from deleveraging at the expense of peripheral currencies. Due to instability and uncertainty, gold will benefit against all currencies as it continues to be re-monetized.

Hold on to your hats for hyper-deflation, where cash is king, and gold the King of cash.
[Silver? A Volatile Queen].

#4 sossij

sossij

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Persuaded - guilty as charged. Although in my defence I have to say I'd never even noticed that funky little button - thanks for the heads up.

#5 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hey it's not a matter of guilt biggrin.gif

I know some people have very little time. And I know what it's like on HPC when you click on the "View New Posts" link. Last time it gave me over 12 pages of changes blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

But if this post persuades/informs some, and keeps the mod work down, I'd be happy biggrin.gif

Steve (lazy biggrin.gif )

#6 wren

wren

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

I always use "View new posts". After one day the list is usually only one page or one and a bit. That way I don't miss anything new.

This also helped me to get to know the site better over a period of weeks, as threads in the subforums popped up when posted to.

Although not so busy, this site is pretty big with lots of interesting threads in the various subforums.

I recommend "View new posts" to everybody.
Gold and financial news: 24knews
Video at guardian.co.uk: Gold for Food in Zimbabwe.
Video at YouTube: Buying groceries with silver in California.
Energy Bulletin A daily news site about oil, natural gas, food, transportation and their economic and social ramifications.

#7 enrieb

enrieb

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

Yes I will start using it, its just been laziness on my part because I have the main discussion as the link to GEI in my favorites and I never bothered to change it. I'll make 'view news posts' the link I use to get here.

#8 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Wow, the success rate so far is outstanding !

#9 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

If it's your "first time" biggrin.gif
you might want to click on this: "Mark all posts as read" at the bottom right of the main page after reading the new posts you're interested in.
Then you will only get the recent new posts when they appear.

#10 aSteve

aSteve

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Steve Netwriter @ Aug 5 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seek your comments.

In general, I like it... though there are a few shortcomings from my perspective (though I don't argue that the alternative is substantially better.)

Some topics are far more interesting to me than others.... Some topics I want to ignore completely - and others (particularly any where I've already participated) I'd like to review more aggressively... plus, I'm more interested in new threads than I am in old threads in which have a passing interest.

From a board-features perspective it would be fantastic if threads could be tagged (on a per-member basis) as "new-thread"; "in-active-discussion"; "tagged-interesting" or "tagged-disinteresting".... and for "new posts" to have some sort of selection criteria based upon tags.

I imagine that you hoped for different sorts of comments, but those are my thoughts... I realise that wishes like these might require far more effort than can be justified.

#11 narrowescape

narrowescape

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (wren @ Aug 5 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always use "View new posts". After one day the list is usually only one page or one and a bit. That way I don't miss anything new.

This also helped me to get to know the site better over a period of weeks, as threads in the subforums popped up when posted to.

Although not so busy, this site is pretty big with lots of interesting threads in the various subforums.

I recommend "View new posts" to everybody.

+1

#12 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (aSteve @ Aug 6 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In general, I like it... though there are a few shortcomings from my perspective (though I don't argue that the alternative is substantially better.)

Some topics are far more interesting to me than others.... Some topics I want to ignore completely - and others (particularly any where I've already participated) I'd like to review more aggressively... plus, I'm more interested in new threads than I am in old threads in which have a passing interest.

From a board-features perspective it would be fantastic if threads could be tagged (on a per-member basis) as "new-thread"; "in-active-discussion"; "tagged-interesting" or "tagged-disinteresting".... and for "new posts" to have some sort of selection criteria based upon tags.

I imagine that you hoped for different sorts of comments, but those are my thoughts... I realise that wishes like these might require far more effort than can be justified.

Actually aStvee that is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see. And I think the effort would be well worth it.
I think the current system is still back in the stone age sad.gif

-------------

+1 - biggrin.gif

#13 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:28 AM

I've just tried the "Mark all posts as read" link for the first time. It works biggrin.gif

One problem I find is I can't find a newish post. One that isn't listed by "View New Posts".

That's where this one comes in:

It's only on the main page.

#14 marmite

marmite

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Sorry, Guilty as charged laugh.gif

Will try to use the " view new posts " button from now on.

#15 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67,862 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for doing this, Steve

Even those of us who have been here from Day one, still have lots to learn
about the full functionality of this website, and its software
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#16 needmorespace

needmorespace

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

It's funny that this issue has been raised because just a few days ago was when I first noticed the 'View New Posts' link and I immediately started using it because I always had the feeling that I was missing interesting posts...

#17 Catflap

Catflap

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Steve, this might sound a bit dumb but is there any way I can find all the posts I've ever done in date order?

I'm sometimes trying to find stuff that I've posted on here or HPC and can only find the last 10 - if I search by my user name and put just 'a' then I get an error where I thought nearly every post I've done would contain the word/letter 'a'. Sometimes I can't find my old posts which is really annoying - they are there somewhere sad.gif

#18 Layman

Layman

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Catflap @ Aug 6 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, this might sound a bit dumb but is there any way I can find all the posts I've ever done in date order?

I'm sometimes trying to find stuff that I've posted on here or HPC and can only find the last 10 - if I search by my user name and put just 'a' then I get an error where I thought nearly every post I've done would contain the word/letter 'a'. Sometimes I can't find my old posts which is really annoying - they are there somewhere sad.gif

Click on your name and select "View Member's Posts" ... it's easy when you know how. smile.gif
Edited to say.... Catflap, this is a link to your posts.

Personally I've never used "View New Posts" cos I didn't know it was there or what it did. Thanks Steve - will give it a go.

#19 Steve Netwriter

Steve Netwriter

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Bobsta @ Aug 7 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Click on your name and select "View Member's Posts" ... it's easy when you know how. smile.gif
Edited to say.... Catflap, this is a link to your posts.

Personally I've never used "View New Posts" cos I didn't know it was there or what it did. Thanks Steve - will give it a go.

Well you learn something new everyday !!!!

I thought I could only get the last 10 too laugh.gif

Cheers Bobsta biggrin.gif

If only I could find only threads I'd started biggrin.gif

#20 wren

wren

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Steve Netwriter @ Aug 7 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If only I could find only threads I'd started biggrin.gif

Click on your name. In the left panel click "Options" and in the drop-down menu select "Find Member's Topics" (just below "Find Member's Posts"). At least that's how I found it.
Gold and financial news: 24knews
Video at guardian.co.uk: Gold for Food in Zimbabwe.
Video at YouTube: Buying groceries with silver in California.
Energy Bulletin A daily news site about oil, natural gas, food, transportation and their economic and social ramifications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users