Anonymous too Powerful? - WSJ thinks so

9 replies to this topic

#1 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Anonymous attacks WSJ page hours after story warning group is getting more powerful
By Elizabeth Flock

A number of Wall Street Journal Facebook pages were the subject of a comment flashmob Tuesday, claimed by Anonymous, just hours after the Journal published a report that warned the hacker group was getting more powerful.

Posted Image
Protesters wearing Anonymous Guy Fawkes mask demonstrate in Budapest in February against a law protecting online copyright. (ATTILA KISBENEDEK -

The Anonymous Kollektiv, believed to based in Germany, told participants to copy the following message on Journal sites:

“Dear editors of the German Wall Street Journal, You equated Anonymous with al-Qaeda in your February 2012 article and the related coverage. With this type of coverage you may be able to stir up fear in the United States, but not in the land of poets and thinkers! With this comment, we would like to oppose the deliberate dissemination of false information and express our displeasure with your lobby journalism. We are Anonymous. We are millions. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us!”

The Wall Street Journal report, which cited a number of security officials, warned that the hacker group could take down the U.S. power grid within a couple of years. One official quoted also said that the U.S. should be wary of a foreign government or al-Qaeda trying to hire the hackers to mount a cyber attack.

Until now, Anonymous has focused on attacking the Web sites of government agencies, financial companies and security firms. The Web sites go down, but then they come back up. Anonymous has also leaked sensitive phone calls and personal information, but the consequences have been limited.

The hacktivist group has also so far made no indication that suggests it would attack the power grid. But one message posted to pastebin suggests the group could be planning to “take down the Internet” on March 31. And some officials told the Journal the group is gaining the numbers and capability to pull off a large-scale attack.

/more: http://www.washingto...pm_national_pop
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#2 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Meet the new political elite: Computer programmers

Code is becoming the new lingua franca of Web activists around the nation, powering Anonymous-style movements against politicians and the status quo. In the process, programmers and coders are helping to create a new power base within the electorate. If you can code, you can launch new movements, upend traditional campaign dynamics and pressure candidates in a low-cost, high-tech and highly effective way.

Does this mean computer programmers and coding experts are the new political elite?

Take, for example, the pending SOPA legislation in the U.S. Congress, which has ignited a firestorm of protest across the Web. The grassroots anti-SOPA online campaign, which includes bare-bones sites such as #BlackoutSOPA and new apps that help you boycott SOPA supporters, is built, in large part, around people who can harness either their own coding skills, or the skills of others. The Internet “hive-mind” is suddenly everywhere in cyberspace, putting pressure on companies like GoDaddy.com to pull their support for SOPA, launching attack campaigns against legislators, such as Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) whose position they believed to be insufficiently clear, and ruthlessly forcing individuals and organizations to take a stand when it comes to supporting free speech on the Internet.

So what happens if a candidate gets on the wrong side of a hot-button issue?

\/more: http://www.washingto...cg9nP_blog.html
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#3 halight

halight

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Im not saying anything,

They have people everywere, They may try to take this site down :o

Iv said too much allready,
Please visit my book store,

http://astore.amazon...uk/investbar-21

#4 LauraB

LauraB

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:The Infinite. Music, esp. JS Bach. Self-sufficient peasant living, with comfort.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

With pure motive it is not possible to be 'too powerful'.

#5 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Im not saying anything,
They have people everywere, They may try to take this site down :o
Iv said too much allready,

I don't think GEI is much of a threat.
Possibly as much an ally as a threat - Depending on their actual motivation.

#6 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

With pure motive it is not possible to be 'too powerful'.

Maybe not so pure

Joseph Farrell has picked up on a theory that Anonymous is backed by TPTB.
Purpose: Anony may hack the databases of the banks and wipe out their account records.
That would give the banksters a chance to escape prosecution for stealing billions,
because there would be no records.

#7 LauraB

LauraB

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Interests:The Infinite. Music, esp. JS Bach. Self-sufficient peasant living, with comfort.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Maybe not so pure

Joseph Farrell has picked up on a theory that Anonymous is backed by TPTB.

When I first saw the thread, that idea flashed into some of still functioning cells
My pendulum says JF is correct.

#8 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

When I first saw the thread, that idea flashed into some of still functioning cells
My pendulum says JF is correct.

What better way to hold onto power in challenging times, than to create and control
one of your own most obvious "opponents." In this case, many in the Anonymous alliance
may not even know it

#9 Carlton

Carlton

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

What better way to hold onto power in challenging times, than to create and control
one of your own most obvious "opponents." In this case, many in the Anonymous alliance
may not even know it

This is not the most likely explanation.

Most likely, Anonymous are just a bunch of self-centered hooligans that need to be locked up.
"After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!" --Jesse Livermore

#10 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,214 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

This is not the most likely explanation.
Most likely, Anonymous are just a bunch of self-centered hooligans that need to be locked up.

No doubt, "they" will try to do that.
It may not be easy to find them, and to prove what they have done.
But if you give the Feds special powers to deal with them, without a doubt the new powers will be used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users