Registering to become a New Member on GEI

70 replies to this topic

#41 SirLurkalot

SirLurkalot

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and apparently the protocol is to post on this thread, as my first post, the reason I gave for wanting to be a member. I'm feeling well-behaved today, so here goes:

"I'd like to be a member of GEI because I'm an active investor and I reckon I could both contribute new ideas and learn myself from others. I write on fool.co.uk and stockopedia.co.uk using the name SirLurkalot."

There it is. I'm looking forward to reading all your wise thoughts, and gradually joining in to add a few modest ones of my own. More later!

#42 littledavesab

littledavesab

TERMINATOR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and apparently the protocol is to post on this thread, as my first post, the reason I gave for wanting to be a member. I'm feeling well-behaved today, so here goes:

"I'd like to be a member of GEI because I'm an active investor and I reckon I could both contribute new ideas and learn myself from others. I write on fool.co.uk and stockopedia.co.uk using the name SirLurkalot."

There it is. I'm looking forward to reading all your wise thoughts, and gradually joining in to add a few modest ones of my own. More later!

Hi SirL and welcome

I lurk a bit on TMF and a couple of the others and recognise your name.

Feel free to make yourself at home.
Inflation / Deflation ?? How about STAGFLATION everyone is right but everyone is wrong!
- (Update) Everyone wrong...... except Goldman Sachs apparently !!!!!!!

If you have an idea for podcast of the week post it here: http://www.greenener...pic=10990&st=40

#43 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Welcome, SirL
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#44 bb01100100

bb01100100

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hello,

As per the joining rules, this is my first post.

I recently saw someone sitting outside Starbucks in Wimbledon reading the book 'Free Capital' and almost wandered up to ask him what it was about (very unlike me). Having later wandered into the bookshop "Waterstone's" I saw 'Free Capital' in the business section and thought it looked interesting, so I purchased it.

In reading that book, I came across the pseudonym "Nigel", whose concepts of cycles seemed to provide a framework for thinking about change as a series of parallel cycles of different lengths. This seemed intuitively explanatory from an economic and psychological perspective. The book mentioned this website, so I came along for a look and found some very interesting posts on trading silver and a mini-series on market swings. What struck me most was that those posting seemed actively involved with the topic, rather than the kinds of postulating I see on different forums. This somewhat chaotic forum seemed to have some very interesting information.

I'm here because I'm interested in better understanding how the world reacts to the economic events that unfold over time and want to develop my ability to identify the opportunity that the crowds avoid.

My objective is to read and think, and pose the odd question there and there. Perhaps the questions I ask will provide insight for the old hands on what the non-cognizant are thinking!

#45 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hello,

wELCOME

I look forward to reading more of your posts
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#46 littledavesab

littledavesab

TERMINATOR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

I recently saw someone sitting outside Starbucks in Wimbledon reading the book 'Free Capital' and almost wandered up to ask him what it was about (very unlike me). Having later wandered into the bookshop "Waterstone's" I saw 'Free Capital' in the business section and thought it looked interesting, so I purchased it.

Hi and welcome. As it happens I know Wimbledon quIte well but dont frequent Starbucks.
Inflation / Deflation ?? How about STAGFLATION everyone is right but everyone is wrong!

If you have an idea for podcast of the week post it here: http://www.greenener...pic=10990&st=40

#47 Roddy

Roddy

Centurion

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi I am a new member. I am an investor interested in market always looking for an edge. I believe that hard work and study pays off in investing. But it is important (especially in the current environment) to look at margin of safety / risk vs reward.

#48 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Hi I am a new member. I am an investor interested in market always looking for an edge. I believe that hard work and study pays off in investing. But it is important (especially in the current environment) to look at margin of safety / risk vs reward.

Hi Roddy, and welcome.

I hope you can post something here, similar to the two excellent emails that you have sent me.

#49 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hello,

In reading that book, I came across the pseudonym "Nigel", whose concepts of cycles seemed to provide a framework for thinking about change as a series of parallel cycles of different lengths. This seemed intuitively explanatory from an economic and psychological perspective. The book mentioned this website, so I came along for a look and found some very interesting posts on trading silver and a mini-series on market swings. What struck me most was that those posting seemed actively involved with the topic, rather than the kinds of postulating I see on different forums. This somewhat chaotic forum seemed to have some very interesting information.

I'm here because I'm interested in better understanding how the world reacts to the economic events that unfold over time and want to develop my ability to identify the opportunity that the crowds avoid.

My objective is to read and think, and pose the odd question there and there. Perhaps the questions I ask will provide insight for the old hands on what the non-cognizant are thinking!

#50 Patito

Patito

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hi, I'm new here,

I've been following the discussions for quite a while now, and
sometimes I have a question I'd like to ask. Plus I'd like to stay
in touch with old friends...

#51 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Welcome Patito.

Why not jump in and post, or even start a thread.

#52 NCExpat

NCExpat

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hi Y'all,
We live in interesting times and I'm enjoying the interesting input on the boards. I'm a Brit living temporarily in North Carolina and travelling extensively in the Southeast US. I'm looking forward to providing some input to the walkable cities debate!

#53 ignatious

ignatious

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

I've been reading (lurking) for the past two years on your forum (moving over from housepricecrash.co.uk) and thought it about time I joined in the discussion with a post or two. A small gold bug at heart following the global economic apocalypse, the mechanisations of the psychopaths behind it and interested in the 'what we can do about it' part.

#54 bobman

bobman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

I'd like to answer the call for fresh blood. I've lurked on www.greenenergyinvestors.com since 2009, having been drawn to the site via HPC.co.uk. To me, the member discussion and book/podcast suggestions have been invaluable over the years, so I'd like to join in and try to contribute where possible.

I don't think I'm ever likely to be a prolific poster, but hopefully I can give back a little to the people who have helped and don't even know it!

As a starter for ten, I'd submit the last podcast I listened to: http://downloads.bbc...4/reith/rss.xml

This is the 2012 Reith lectures by Niall Ferguson, who takes on the rule of law, financial regulation and public institutions in his lectures. I think he's quite right in his analysis for the most part too!

---

Just to add that Dr Bubb announced me in the other thread as Jonnyfive, but on logging in I rediscovered my old account as bobman. I guess that makes me bobman forever more.

#55 gallivant

gallivant

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

Long time lurker (over a year) but I wanted to contribute and so I signed up.

I am interested in gold and silver. I bought a few hundred pounds worth of antique silver a few years back when it was $11 an ounce - looks great and it is quite therapeutic when polishing it. I live just outside London but work in it. My wife is an astrophysicist and feminist and we are expecting our first child early next year.

#56 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,407 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Welcome, Gallivant

It is always good to have a new "long term lurker" onboard/

It will be interesting to see your future posts on the Gold or Silver threads, and whatever else may appeal to you,
even in The Fringe Section, if the material there interests you.

New ideas, and new posters are welcome here

#57 TrueNorth

TrueNorth

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Interests:Lunch, dinner, blueberries, salmon, caves, sleeping.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Welcome gallivant, hope you enjoy participating.

#58 John Doe

John Doe

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi,

Long time lurker (over a year) but I wanted to contribute and so I signed up.

I am interested in gold and silver. I bought a few hundred pounds worth of antique silver a few years back when it was $11 an ounce - looks great and it is quite therapeutic when polishing it. I live just outside London but work in it. My wife is an astrophysicist and feminist and we are expecting our first child early next year.

Welcome gallivant :) Feel free to roam, I'm sure you'll enjoy it ;)

(There's also a physicist or two here too :D )
"Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Just as I start getting my head together, my body starts falling apart (anon).

#59 littledavesab

littledavesab

TERMINATOR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

My wife is an astrophysicist and feminist and we are expecting our first child early next year.

interesting mix!

Bet you can appreciate the "properties" of polished silver !

#60 PositiveDeviant

PositiveDeviant

www.posdev.net

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

interesting mix!

Bet you can appreciate the "properties" of polished silver !

And I'm sure it's Gallivant who does the polishing!

Welcome Gallivant, looking forward to your posts here.

"A man who is all caution, will never dare to take hold and be successful; and a man who is all boldness, is merely reckless, and must eventually fail. A man may go on "'change" and make fifty, or one hundred thousand dollars in speculating in stocks, at a single operation. But if he has simple boldness without caution, it is mere chance, and what he gains to-day he will lose to-morrow. You must have both the caution and the boldness, to insure success."
PT Barnum

"When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened."
Winston Churchill

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."
Mark Twain

"The ability to maintain discipline and stick to the rules is the hallmark of the experienced successful trader"
Curtis Faith

"The primary thing required to obtain what you want from life, is simply the will to pursue it, and the faith to believe it is possible."
Author Unknown

"Seek truth from facts"
Mao Zedong

MY BLOG

QWAS_zpsf57b1914.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users