The Curse of TIME Magazine Covers

THE CURSE OF TIME MAGAZINE, they call it.

At the end of 2006, Time magazine's cover said:
. . . . "The Person of the Year is... YOU !" . . . .

time.jpg

A lack of recognition by TIME may in fact be a blessing, since being Time's Man of the Year, often comes with a curse

Look back to 1982, for something similar
time_mag_man_of_the_year_1982.gif

But what happened to Computer and computer games shares?
- Apple
00blankay3ir8.gif
(20 years later, AAPL stock was no better than first half 1983 levels.
Only the recent "I-pod run, has saved it from possible obscurity.)
- IBM ... update : 5-year.mo : 3-year.wk : 1-year
00blankew3.gif
(IBM rose in 1988, and then fell, giving up all the gains from that euphoria,
and then re-invented itself as a consulting company)
- Commodore:
Companies like Commodore, Atari, and Sinclair Research have been taken over, or disappeared.
("Atari's history is long, but rocky. Launched in 1972, it immediately made a name for itself with "Pong" – one of the games that kicked off the video game industry. Five years later (under new owners), it brought home video games to the mainstream with the "Atari 2600." A failed attempt to get into the home computer business hurt the company, though, reducing its relevance in the industry.
@: http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/17/commentary...aming/index.htm )
- ...others...?

...and in 2003,
the American Soldier was Person of the Year
time_person.jpg

what happened?
The Gulf War II ended, stocks bottomed, and the American soldier became the target of 2004, 2005, 2006...

= = =

SO WHAT is the meaning of the 2006 Cover?

it could be, we are seeing the beginning of the end of the Golden Age of the American Consumer.
And that is the same message being carried by weak stock markets in early 2007.

Let's see if some of the Consumer and Retail oriented stock indicies peak here in late-2006/early-2007...

=======

time-person-of-the-year-cover-trump-hitl

Very observant!

I think I agree with the theory that the person of the year is going to be some sort of target in the next year. It's all a bit perverse.

But what message are they trying to convey? An increased freedom from better access to media? That is a bit premature I think. If anything the combination of increased usage of digital rights management and convergence of media and IT is sewing the consumer up more than ever before. Look what convergence of US media did for the level of public awareness of global events!

I prefer the 'you're going to get screwed' theory.

REUTERS said this, recently:

"Time's "Person of the Year" is You ... By Michelle Nichols

NEW YORK (Reuters) - You were named Time magazine "Person of the Year" on Saturday for the explosive growth and influence of user-generated Internet content such as blogs, video-file sharing site YouTube and social network MySpace.

"For seizing the reins of the global media, for founding and framing the new digital democracy, for working for nothing and beating the pros at their own game, Time's Person of the Year for 2006 is you," the magazine's Lev Grossman wrote.

. . .

Grossman said the creators and consumers of user-generated Internet sites showed a community and collaboration on a scale never seen before.

"It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes," said Grossman, Time's technology writer and book critic.

. . .

Time's 2005 Person of the Year was the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, his wife Melinda, and Irish rocker Bono for being Good Samaritans, while the 2004 choice was U.S. President George W. Bush. In 2003 "The American Soldier" graced the cover in a year when U.S. troops invaded Iraq."

...more: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1873922006

THE CURSE is Democraticised...

You da man!

December 17, 2006

Time magazine's issue of May 6, 1946, featured famed horse-breeder and makeup-magnate Elizabeth Arden Graham on its cover. The day the magazine hit the newsstands, Graham's stable burned to the ground, killing 22 thoroughbreds. The tragedy confirmed what the public had suspected since the early 1930s: To have your picture on the front page of the popular newsweekly was to be cursed. Whom the gods would destroy they first put on Time's cover.

In a cruel trick, Time this week saddles all of us with its notorious "cover jinx."

The magazine has announced its Man of the Year for 2006, and He is You. To illustrate its choice, Time puts on its cover a picture of a computer screen with a mirrored mylar finish. Look at it and you see yourself.

To what do we owe this dicey honor? To Web 2.0, of course. Thanks to the Internet, writes Time's top editor, Rick Stengel, "the creators and consumers of user-generated content are transforming art and politics and commerce." They are "the engaged citizens of a new digital democracy." The mirror on the cover "literally reflects the idea that you, not we, are transforming the information age."

Web 2.0 is battering the Great Man theory of history, writes Lev Grossman in the cover story. Yes, Great Men continue to be responsible for "the many painful and disturbing things that happened in 2006" - from war to global warming to the PlayStation 3 shortage - but "look at 2006 through a different lens and you'll see another story, one that isn't about conflict or great men. It's a story about community and collaboration on a scale never seen before ... It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes."

. . .

But it's the cover, really, that contains the subtlest thinking in the issue. Web 2.0, writes Grossman, provides "a chance for people to look at a computer screen and really, genuinely wonder who's out there looking back at them." The cover gives Grossman's words a wry twist, offering a much darker view of the radical personalization of culture. Peer into the cover's computer screen and all you see looking back at you is you. In a solipsistic world, every Lonely Girl is a Great Man. The curse of Time is democratized.

@: http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2006/12/you_da_man.php

Time's 2005 Person of the Year was the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, his wife Melinda, and Irish rocker Bono for being Good Samaritans, while the 2004 choice was U.S. President George W. Bush. In 2003 "The American Soldier" graced the cover in a year when U.S. troops invaded Iraq."

That's some track record. Richard Nixon is in there as well, twice. In fact there's quite a few American presidents in there, like W Bush twice and Clinton twice. Glad I don't waste my money on the magazine.

Maybe this is the reason why 'you' are Time Magazine's person of the year. A self-serving reference to the company's own interests. Am I too cynical?

Time to lose jobs to the net

January 19, 2007 - 12:13PM

Time Inc is eliminating nearly 300 jobs as it continues to revamp its huge portfolio of magazines such as Time, People and Sports Illustrated in an effort to adapt as readers and advertisers move to the internet...

they are losing advertisers to the web...

that isnt surprising. and they may be losing circulation too.

Someone has to figure out that a magazine needs to have a well-integrated chatboard,

in order to be fully effective

this way:

+ they will know better what their readers think, and that will help drive future topics in the magazine,

+ they can capture advertising revenue in both places

• 2 months later...

The authors of the narcissism study propose reasons for the trend that include, "a 'self-esteem movement' that emerged in the 1980's," and current technology such as MySpace and YouTube, which encourage attention-seeking. Looking for causes, one might ask: which came first, narcissism or MySpace? Or did they arise together as a result of something else?

A study co-author, W. Keith Campbell of the University of Georgia, suggested (facetiously?) that narcissism could have benefits, like "auditioning on American Idol." And in a beautiful example of a societal fractal, Campbell inadvertently described the recent housing bust and Congress's reaction to it when he spoke of narcissism: “Permissiveness seems to be a component.” “A potential antidote would be more authoritative parenting. Less indulgence might be called for.”

American culture does in fact display a broad variety of narcissistic traits,as other dominant cultures have in times past. A few things that come to mind are: SUVs, McMansions, American Idol, Hollywood's celebrity culture and television's relentless images of beautiful people, mansions, spa vacations, shopping sprees and private jets. Question: is a relentlessly upbeat financial self-esteem and a strong sense of entitlement connected somehow to a new national policy of unilateral preemptive military strike? Is this what Christopher Lasch meant in 1979 when he described the, "narcissistic personality of our time," in his book, "The Culture of Narcissism?"

...more: http://www.elliottwave.com/features/defaul...id=3015*time=pm

• 7 months later...

If this was the Cover of Time

20071201issuecovus400sk1.jpg

...then you should be buying the dollar.

But I dont think it works that way for the Economist covers

"...I dont think it works that way for the Economist covers."

= =

Let's look back...

1/ 2nd Dec. 2006

IncredibleShrinkingDollar.jpg

(A very temporary bounce in the dollar followed)

2/ From John Mauldin:

The current cover of The Economist highlights the falling dollar.

That reminds me of a very bearish cover story by The Economist of December 4, 2004.

6472_e.jpg

"What happened after that? The dollar was 8.6% higher six months later. When these trades make the cover of major magazines, and every article in the Financial Times is almost uniformly bearish, it should give you pause. For the dollar to fall even more, there has to be someone on the other side of the trade. And for now, almost everyone is bearish.

It would not surprise me to see the dollar strengthen, or the fall to stop for a period of time before slowly resuming its natural downward course. Of course, good friend Addison Wiggin would see a far more dire future for the dollar. For a less sanguine view try his recent book, The Demise of the Dollar, at www.amazon.com. It is a cautionary tale."

- John Mauldin

Trade-weighted Dollar chart

aa1zp9.gif

= =

My opinion:

The Dollar Bounce may be nearly over by the time this later Economist cover was published.

Too many observers are now sounding the same tune, saying "The Dollar may be due for a bounce"

Surely, we have seen some dollar short-covering (especially in A$ and C$) in recent weeks.

But the A-B-C pause in the Dollar's weakening may be finishing here, and a renewed decline may

be starting even as they would-be Dollar Bulls are just sending out their opinions to their readers

AFTER the dollar bounce has happened.

• 9 months later...
"...I dont think it works that way for the Economist covers."

Trade-weighted Dollar chart

aa1zp9.gif

= =

My opinion:

The Dollar Bounce may be nearly over by the time this later Economist cover was published.

Too many observers are now sounding the same tune, saying "The Dollar may be due for a bounce"

Surely, we have seen some dollar short-covering (especially in A$ and C$) in recent weeks.

But the A-B-C pause in the Dollar's weakening may be finishing here, and a renewed decline may

be starting even as they would-be Dollar Bulls are just sending out their opinions to their readers

AFTER the dollar bounce has happened.

Will Time be talking about a Low in Gold now?

Remember seeing a program on the history of the MAN OF THE YEAR covers.

Originally, they often had tyrants on the cover[i believe Hitler among others was MAN OF THE YEAR once].

In those days, magazines were more concerned with genuine news content rather than the feel good factor of celebrity drivel we get today [personally, it nauseates me]. This, and also the PC culture, prevented Osama Bin Laden from taking the coveted space.

So, it seems the space has a serious history, and is not to be messed with. :)

• 3 years later...

To have your picture on the front page of the popular newsweekly was to be cursed.

Whom the gods would destroy they first put on Time's cover

Ahh, the curse of Time Magazine strikes again...

2012:

http://uk.reuters.co...E86U1H520120731

Facebook has lost more than 40 percent of its value since becoming on May 18 the first Americancompany to debut with a value of more than $100 billion (63.7 billion pounds).

I hadn't noticed the Lizard-like eyes before

madrich.jpg

Mark Zuckerberg's Illuminati-Like Hoodie Reveals Facebook as the Cult That It Is

by Amar Toor on June 7, 2010

At last week's D8: All Things Digital conference, Facebook CEO found himself sweating bullets while being grilled onstage by the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher. It got so bad, in fact, that Swisher felt compelled to ask him if he was OK, and suggested that he perhaps take off his trademark hoodie. "I never take it off," Zuckerberg reportedly replied. When he realized how obscene his perspiration had become, however, he relented, and Swisher helped him disrobe.

fbhoodie.jpg

As she was removing the sweaty garment, she noticed a giant emblem on the inside of the black hoodie, bizarre enough to prompt her to say, "What are you in, some kind of cult?"

/more: http://www.switched.com/2010/06/07/mark-zuckerbergs-illuminati-like-hoodie-reveals-facebook-as-the/

• 2 years later...

/ I'm reviving this old thread for the "Thinking Caps" section -

Who will it be in 2014 ? /

The Winners: PERSON Of The Year
(2013)
#1 : Pope Francis, The People's Pope
#2 : Edward Snowden, the Dark Prophet
#3 : Edith Windsor, the Unlikely Activist
#4 : Bashar Assad, the Lethal Tyrant
#5 : Ted Cruz, the Barn Burner
1101121231_600.jpg
(2012)
#1 : Obama, the Choice (in the election)
#2 : Malala Yousafzai
#3 : Tim Cook
#4 : Mohamed Morsi
#5 : Fabiola Gianotti
(2011)
#1 : The Protester
#2 : William McRaven, the Admiral
#3 : Ai Weiwei, the Dissident
#4 : Paul Ryan, the Prophet
#5 : Kate Middleton, the Princess
(2010)
#1 : Mark Zuckerberg
#2 : The Tea Party
#3 : Julian Assange
#4 : Hamid Karsai
#5 : The Chilean Miners

• 2 weeks later...

Is it TIME to take down Time?

(And put an end to the scvmf*kery?)

B1yFDBXCQAAlQEc.jpg

It used to be considered a reasonably serious publication. Now, TIME dwells mainly on celebrities,

and it churns out spin and half-truths (like most of America's lamestream media.)

I don't pay much attention to them, but when I do pick the magazine up, I usually soon find

a (good?) reason to want to propel a big rock in their direction. It may be for their unrelenting

favoratism of the corrupt two party system, the consistent anti-Putin propaganda, or something else.

This week's Nov.17th issue had China's Leader on the cover in Asia, and referred to him as:

"Emperor Xi." Along with Putin, he seems to be one of the effective leaders of a big country -

You cannot say the saem for Obama, or the closet-hiding, Stven Harper.

But what got me going this week was a small item in an article called: "Jokers in the Pack" (pg. 18).

This article is about comedians with political ambitions; people like:

+ Will Rogers (US), Al Franken (US), Beppe Grillo (Italy), D. M'bala M'bala (France), who have had

soem degree of success.

+ Eddie Izzard (yes!), who may run for Mayor of Lodon in 2020. And I suppose that's on the theory

that Boris Johnson is a bit of a buffoon at times, and knows how to laugh at himself, so that must

be why he is popular (Right! Right?)

Russell-Brand-w-RCN-members-2.jpg

Then there's the case of Russell Brand.

There's a whole load of reasons why we should not take Russell seriously as a political candidate.

Sure, he has a huge ego, and likes to appear in the media - but is that really a good reason to run

for political office? (Maybe it is in atime when the lamestream media loves to focus on celebrities,

but let's home our world can soon get past this sick period of thinking this should matter.

I suppose Russell just realises it might be good for his own career.

What set me off, was not the idea that Russell might run. But rather a little one-liner that the writer,

Catherine Mayer threw in about Russell.

Here it is:

"Brand not only harbors daft views (the US government conceivably staged 9/11 for one)...

but also used his book, media appearances and appeals to his 8 million plus Twitter followers to argue

that voting is a waste of time."

Well, guess what, Catherine and Time, your publication is losing readers fast, and advertising revenues

too, I believe, precisely because you go on backing the ridiculous official "lie" about Arabs with boxcutters.

Meantime, online publications like Veterans Today who are taking this possibility seriously, and running

some thought-provoking stories about it, are zooming right past your paid-for news spin.

So maybe some day, when you are out of a job, you will repent, and realize you should have taken

YOUR REAL JOB as a reporter a bit more seriously, and examined the spin and half-truths that TIME
has been pumping out.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-16/what-difference-week-makes-international-diplomacy

What A Difference A Week Makes In International Diplomacy

Last week's APEC Summit....

APEC%202014%20big_0.jpg

This week's G-20 Meeting...

20141115_Putin2_0.jpg

Note that there is one constant: China is always in the middle.

..... here is an alternative take on the photo

20141115_Putin6_0.jpg

LOL.

No wonder Putin left early.

The G-20 is the "business as usual" Illuminati-still-rules Club. (it's "lamestream friendly")

There's real business to be done ... elsewhere

Interesting to see that China's Xi is at the centre of both clubs

• 2 years later...

Madam President Newsweek Issue Exposes Why Hillary Clinton Lost

"Don't temp fate... God could not allow THIS to stand"

Fight for Us?

"Fighting WHAT?... Nobody knows!"

• 1 year later...

Does the 2018 COVER Man Of The Year ... & the curse ... mean that Fake News will fade away soon?

KHASHOGGI.0.jpeg?w=860&ssl=1

"Guardians of the truth?"  (actually, they obscure the Truth)

Some of TIME’s ‘Person(s) of the Year’ choices are perplexing

TIME magazine has chosen a group of journalists it refers to as ‘The Guardians’ as its 2018 most influential ‘Person of the Year’ – but some of the journalists the magazine included for honors have raised a few eyebrows.

The decision to pick journalists for the annual title was perhaps not so surprising in the era of Donald Trump, who is constantly at odds with the media at large, labeling any report he isn’t fond of as “fake news” – but there is a niggling sense that TIME’s decision to put the spotlight on the media as the Guardians of truth is not entirely sincere.

• 11 months later...

Greta may have a tough 2020

Trump Jr: TIME Magazine Picks ‘Marketing Gimmick’ Greta Over Hong Kong Protesters For ‘Person of the Year’

ELgcBrYXUAAIfJ1?format=jpg&name=small

So PC, and so Globalist !  I am disgusted!

So young, so angry... so Brainwashed !

Greta Thunberg wins TIME Person of the Year: It’s a symptom of a sick & confused world when adults make children their leaders

Gone are the days when TIME chose adult men, like Martin Luther King or Winston Churchill as the magazine’s person of the year (Adolf Hitler too – the award is for the most influential, not necessarily the most virtuous public figure).

Maybe TIME should put itself on the Cover in 2020, so it can disappear in a bankruptcy in 2021 (or so)

JOKE?  Or is THIS the Joke??

Trump-Hating Left-Wing Rag TIME Names Fake Deep State ‘Whistleblower,’ Impeachment Witnesses ‘Guardians of the Year’

ELghEGsWkAEr8J0-736x981.jpeg

LIARS!  That includes TIME & its editors

TIME's Carbon Footprint?

• Time magazine named activist Greta Thunberg its Person of the Year and is promoting the 16-year-old while not addressing questions about its carbon footprint. 
  • One similarly sized magazine — Discover Magazine — fleshed out its carbon footprint and found that producing and distributing each edition produces more than 170 tons of emissions. 
  • Time magazine was also considering House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, President Donald Trump and an anonymous whistleblower for the honor before landing on Thunberg. 

Time magazine named Greta Thunberg its 2019 Person of the Year, yet the legacy outlet is being cagey about its overall carbon footprint as the 16-year-old activist advocates for stricter climate policies.

The magazine awarded Thunberg the honor Wednesday after she spent 2019 warning government officials about what she believes is a climate crisis. Time, for its part, has not responded to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for information about its carbon output.

> https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/11/greta-thunberg-time-person/

• 3 weeks later...

Karma is coming - Greta will pay the Price... and David Hogg is paying

Political Groups Exploit Children Like Greta Thunberg And David Hogg Then Discard Them