Sylvester has snapped

Oh dear oh dear..... What has become of this forum? I cant see catflap coming back after his suspension. Another quality poster gone so as to not upset the trolls. For what its worth I would have participated in his poll and voted off fitkid and GOM but the poll was closed before I could.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a reminder to the good posters on this site. Please refrain from feeding the trolls. By responding to trolls you are only encouraging them!

People who feed trolls and become aggressive and hence trolls themselves simply get suspended for a while too. Oh, and fitkid also thinks he won't bother to come back.

your handling of the situation(s) has been very good given the circumstances imo. :)

I think the answers are more 1-day suspensions in the future (if necessary, this might include you, GOM :o ).

We know now who the most disruptive posters (on both sides!) are. I also see fitkid's multi-pic posts as something very disruptive. He wants to not post on here anymore, but if he comes back, I will have more an eye on this and possibly delete those every now and then. He is a little like a Swampy-junior.

People who feed trolls and become aggressive and hence trolls themselves simply get suspended for a while too. Oh, and fitkid also thinks he won't bother to come back.

As ever Enrieb nails it.......

The standard internet protocol of 'not feeding the trolls' has the effect of giving the impression that trollish behaviour is acceptable, this is why some posters feel the need to react to combat the threat

This is what you need to understand.

We have all sat back for the past year, ignored the disruption and watched the ghost of swampy continue to trash this forum

We have ignored them.......doesnt work

We have appeased them.......doesnt work

We have stuck our heads in the sand hoping it will will all go away......doesnt work

So the last resort is to confront them......probably also doesnt work, but it sure as hell brings the issue to the fore!!

Catflap and wottwotril never was the problem and you know that. If they never post here again, i dont thnk they will be too upset about that......after all its only the internet!. But what they have done is encouraged the silent majority to speak out and as a mod you need to take note of that

Listen to the forum!

As ever Enrieb nails it.......

This is what you need to understand.

We have all sat back for the past year, ignored the disruption and watched the ghost of swampy continue to trash this forum

We have ignored them.......doesnt work

We have appeased them.......doesnt work

We have stuck our heads in the sand hoping it will will all go away......doesnt work

So the last resort is to confront them......probably also doesnt work, but it sure as hell brings the issue to the fore!!

Catflap and wottwotril never was the problem and you know that. If they never post here again, i dont thnk they will be too upset about that......after all its only the internet!. But what they have done is encouraged the silent majority to speak out and as a mod you need to take note of that

Listen to the forum!

Harvipark, you have succinctly nailed it here & also importantly clarified the rationale behind the postings of suspended Catflap I believe & myself, back from solitary with the first and maybe last post (by the way GF I was not referring to you as Gumbo, in case you have any doubt ).

By way of an explanation I came originally to GEI for a good read and have recently ended up frustrated with the incessant trolling & thread destruction from the likes of Swampy, Carbon Junkie, GOM and Fitkid. I may not add as much value as some posters here but nevertheless could not stand back and watch Dr Bubbs & others hard work here be destroyed by a small group of what are essentially sociopaths. Hence the DB SA thread to draw some reaction & recognition to the problem from the site owner which failed and secondly, as troll bait...so yes I was a little naughty.

I believe that this topic now has the attention it deserves and with thanks to Enrieb`s magnificent articulate posting and the determination & / or perspective of Catflap, Harvipark, Fortune and many others, new found focus from the moderators and DB`s pending return, maybe GEI can prosper as it should.

Thank you for letting me indulge myself here.

Are you planning to leave?

I might though!

Petty arguments everywhere.

No clear engagement rules.

No system for throttling posters (technical throttling of post rates, not strangling them ...but then again???)

Moderators acting inconsistently and subjectively, and increasingly autocratically! (power corrupts, absolute power....)

No democratic oversight or convenient way to assess how pi55ed people are getting with troublesome posters.

Oh dear oh dear..... What has become of this forum? I cant see catflap coming back after his suspension. Another quality poster gone so as to not upset the trolls. For what its worth I would have participated in his poll and voted off fitkid and GOM but the poll was closed before I could.

Yep. We're not even allowed to set up our own polls unless pre-sanctioned by the powers that be.

[and now I'll probably get banned for pointing this out]

You've just confirmed my worst fears about how things are going!!

OK, so you seem to want some kind of democratic lynch justice, with ultimate bans for people. You are also whining about oh-so annoying posters. But then you are complaining about me being more heavy handed in moderating this forum recently. Doesn't quite compute, does it?

So ban everyone. Think how idyllically peaceful that would be for you.

I couldn't care less about some disruptive posters. I have learnt to ignore them - unlike others who 'feed the trolls'. If you want public votings againts posters on a regular basis - fine, ask Bubb about it.

BTW, I was the first who a few months ago suggested some kind of council (elected?) where such cases would be discussed more in private. That's possibly better than a slow public execution. But everyone has a different taste.

Moderators acting inconsistently and subjectively, and increasingly autocratically! (power corrupts, absolute power....)

At the moment I give 1-day posting bans for rude/disruptive posts. It does not matter on which 'side' the poster stands.

No democratic oversight or convenient way to assess how pi55ed people are getting with troublesome posters.

Fitkid got a 1-day break and has announced to leave permanently. Catflap got a 1-day break, but announced before that already that he would leave if that happened. Well, guess what, blackmailing won't work. So now he left permanently I suppose, just like his friend fitkid. Isn't it ironic?

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think there was any other choice but to give it the hard line, order has to be restored. I don't like it, but all other options have already been explored.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't mean you can't say what you want, it's just the way you have to say it that has to change. For instance you can't call someone a shill, but I guess it would be OK to say "the tone of your last post is in keeping with someone who discourages the ownership of gold, was that your intention?" - I perhaps won't get a ruling on that one, but it's worded in a less agressive/personal manner and at least it opens up the dialogue allowing the other poster a chance to respond.

I think the trick is to be less personal and focus on the posters point of view, because if the mods ban topics of conversation, then this forum has no chance of survival.

At the moment I give 1-day posting bans for rude/disruptive posts. It does not matter on which 'side' the poster stands.

Fitkid got a 1-day break and has announced to leave permanently. Catflap got a 1-day break, but announced before that already that he would leave if that happened. Well, guess what, blackmailing won't work. So now he left permanently I suppose, just like his friend fitkid. Isn't it ironic?

How can you use Catflap & Fitkid in the same sentence? :blink:

Give me one example of any value that Fitkid has added to this forum - a bunch of stupid photographs, inane troll postings & a few links to mainstream newspapers.

I am sorry but you have lost me here completely.

I might though!

No system for throttling posters (technical throttling of post rates, not strangling them ...but then again???)

Have you considered becoming a mod yourself bigt? Perhaps more mods will help this site run a bit smoother.

I think GF has found himself in a very difficult situation this week, and has acted as he saw fit, cooling off heated exchanges instantly with 24hr bans. Others may have handled it differently, but then no other mods took 'direct' action. That's not a sideswipe at you sylvester, but as far as i could see only you and GF were active as mods this week whatsoever.

More mods - crystal clear guidelines enforced as necessary!

Disclaimer - i do not want to be a mod!

Have you considered becoming a mod yourself bigt? Perhaps more mods will help this site run a bit smoother.

I think GF has found himself in a very difficult situation this week, and has acted as he saw fit, cooling off heated exchanges instantly with 24hr bans. Others may have handled it differently, but then no other mods took 'direct' action. That's not a sideswipe at you sylvester, but as far as i could see only you and GF were active as mods this week whatsoever.

At different times, different moderators pick up the ball. It turned out GF picked up the ball this past week, and there is no point in other moderators second guessing him, disagreeing with measures taken, or for that matter getting involved at all. Moderators should only be answerable to Bubb who has given them the task to moderate.

No offence taken. :) I am very glad that GF has been doing such a good job this week as he has thrown out some excellent one day bans before I got to the posters in question (with my rather less lenient ban plan). Hopefully the threat of me getting there first and GF's diligence is bringing some order back to the forum. Maybe DrBubb will think everything has gone on smoothly in his absence :lol:

Also, I know SteveNetWriter is very busy with his own forum and RH is trying not to mod too much when he is the subject of attack (as it could be seen as biased moderation). He has done a good job of not feeding the trolls and I'm glad he is continuing to post here.

Hopefully we have turned a corner and all will now settle down...

Sylvester

No offence taken. :) I am very glad that GF has been doing such a good job this week as he has thrown out some excellent one day bans before I got to the posters in question (with my rather less lenient ban plan). Hopefully the threat of me getting there first and GF's diligence is bringing some order back to the forum. Maybe DrBubb will think everything has gone on smoothly in his absence :lol:

Also, I know SteveNetWriter is very busy with his own forum and RH is trying not to mod too much when he is the subject of attack (as it could be seen as biased moderation). He has done a good job of not feeding the trolls and I'm glad he is continuing to post here.

Hopefully we have turned a corner and all will now settle down...

Sylvester

I am not worried about "attacks" or accusations of biased moderation. A few posters here were fortunate that GF stepped in when he did as I was about to go on a moderation spree.

But you do raise a very good point about not feeding trollish posting. Enrieb has put this point well also, and good posters here really should try to observe it, and refrain from reacting to provocative posts. By feeding the trolls you are only making the task of moderation more difficult.

I might though!

Don't leave! These things happen from time to time. Wait for things to calm down.

EDIT: come to CreditCrunch if you leave here http://www.creditcrunch.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=5

At different times, different moderators pick up the ball. It turned out GF picked up the ball this past week, and there is no point in other moderators second guessing him, disagreeing with measures taken, or for that matter getting involved at all. Moderators should only be answerable to Bubb who has given them the task to moderate.

fair enough

Archived