Why Gold Is The Currency Of The Free And Idle

well of course the state has to be strong if it is able to impose a monetary standard (gold or otherwise) on an entire population.

bit like now then.

what else would you expect from a state-imposed currency?

Nothing. I'm countering the argument from those that believe things would be better, or that there is an answer. To many things there isn't.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be quoting that squirrel skins one and also looking into that stone age book

Finnish sources say that "raha" ("money" in modern Finnish) originally meant "squirrel's skin" ("oravannahka").

I just found an Estonian source which says that the word "raha" comes originally from the Gothic word skraha which meant fur.

In the now-extinct Gothic language, skraha meant fur. In the Baltic Finnic languages, this word lives on today in the form and meaning of "raha" ("money" in Estonian and Finnish). Fur was the gold of the North and the basis for economic relationships that changed little over centuries.

http://www.furs.ee/eng/historyeng

That page has quite an interesting article about the historical significance of the fur business in Northern Europe.

I've asked the same questions myself a number of times and don't feel that I've ever got an answer from anyone. There would be wars, just over different things and gold would be something to fight over. The countries that didn't have it would be enslaved or forced into co-operation with the new gold empires. People tend to conveniently forget that gold standards have usually been in operation during periods of empires, with the militarily strong being in control at the expense of everyone else. Most of the world was effectively enslaved.

I was going to ask whether it would be a cause of enslavement to, but I really wasn't sure if i was asking the right thing with regards to war in the first place. enslavement seemed the next logical step.

And what will there be without government? A peaceful paradise?

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.

I enjoyed listening to this, but it leaves me with more questions than answers.

For example, it is one thing to argue that a gold standard stops wars, however history shows that may only work up until the countries that want to fight decide to come off the gold standard. So, what would keep them on it? I'm intrigued to know what mechanism, discipline, call it whatever you like, would be in place to enforce such a system? In other words, what would make it different this time? The answer is surely nothing, because the problem is not really money as such, but the way we see it (or forced to see it) and whoever has the power and control over it. The power brokers would need to be totally committed goldbugs and there is about as much chance of that happening as Gordon Brown ever admitting that he got something wrong.

... whoever has the power and control over it. ...

There lies the problem: someone seems to have control of money. This is wrong, wrong, wrong. In a free market economy, people should be free to choose their favourite money. People should be free to negiotate trade in whatever currency they would liek to. There should also be no capital gains tax (only VAT IMO). Government should accept at least 10 major currencies people in their country are trading in.

I can see what you're getting at, but I guess it all depends on what you consider to be enslavement and freedom.

enslavement would be having to work for nothing.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

if central bankers do the red part; some other unfortunate individual(s) has to do the blue.

Excellent, really enjoyed listening to this and will probably listen to it again - you should definitely do more like this (hope it's on Youtube since it would be a shame if more people could not hear this).

I like the idea of being idle as it seems to come natural to me anyway ;)....... but unfortunately I'm still in the system for 2 or 3 more years I think, but fortunately I do now know the way out!. We don't have to be slaves to the system and can be more free - we can barter, use local currencies, credit unions, lets schemes, more ethical or sharia banks, digital gold etc and use our knowledge to build a way of life that is somewhat out of reach of the government, it's unfair tax laws and the workings of a corrupt financial system.

Those that choose the debt funded materialistic lifestyle of keeping up with friends and neigbours latest purchases or home improvements are going to be slaves most of their live and will always feel trapped and somewhat unhappy. There's no escaping the fact that debt makes you an economic slave and takes away your freedom to make choices about your future which is probably the reason why there are so many mental health problems these days. I cannot begin to imagine the day-to-day pressure and depression that being in debt must bring to so many people in the UK and it must be at record levels now.

Those that choose the debt funded materialistic lifestyle of keeping up with friends and neigbours latest purchases or home improvements are going to be slaves most of their live and will always feel trapped and somewhat unhappy. There's no escaping the fact that debt makes you an economic slave and takes away your freedom to make choices about your future which is probably the reason why there are so many mental health problems these days. I cannot begin to imagine the day-to-day pressure and depression that being in debt must bring to so many people in the UK and it must be at record levels now.

I think you're right about a correlation between declining mental health and rising debt levels. Selling to rent and thus becoming totally debt free and with a sizable cash pile has improved general happiness levels enormously. I hate having debt hanging over me it just chews away at the brain cycles.

enslavement would be having to work for nothing.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

if central bankers do the red part; some other unfortunate individual(s) has to do the blue.

Is that your writing or did you get it from somewhere else?

The reason I ask is that I collect great quotes, and have added that one, but wish to attribute it correctly :D

I like it very much.

Great stuff CC. I need a Dominic Frisby PDF reader now. (Seriously, does anyone know of a good piece of free software than can read PDFs out loud?)

BTW, gold has many many industrial uses and there would be others too if gold wasn’t expensive.

I’ve posted this video in the past. It shows computers being recycled and some uses for the recovered gold.

Is it still the case that no two countries with a McDonalds have gone to war with each other? Perhaps trade is a better peacekeeper than gold. Problem is, people will want to enforce their own terms on the trade.

Georgia - Russia and there will be others unfortunately.

Also... depending on how they are counted.....

Lebanon - Israel ?? Was this a war between the countries?

Yugoslavia - Yugoslavia (civil war)

Just digging through more Dr schoon material...some cracking radio on 'the free market' and Gold.

-US, Russia and Gold.

-The future is of a cliff.

http://www.drschoon.com/media.asp

Edit: It's gona get nasty!

What I don't like about D.R. Schoon and A.E. Feteke are there blown out of proportion egos (worse than Sinclair).

D.R. stands for Darryl Robert, or so, not for a Ph.D. The confusion seems to be wanted.

Fekete seems to be in need of this here:

http://www.professorfekete.com/

header2.jpg

The sign of arms - give me a break.