IGNORE WHAT IS BELOW the second line

Follow this link, to register:

http://www.greenener...ection=register

=========

I am going to establish a new procedure for New Members to register on GEI

geinewoil.png

(It has been in place since Feb. 2011):

Here's what you do:

1. Send an email to me at: New@GlobalEdgeInvestors+dott Com (ie using ".com" ending, not "dott Com")

2. Explain in a sentence or two, why you would like to be a member

3. Give me the User name that you would like to use (in the email)

4. I will set you up, and give you a temporary password

5. Please post ON THIS THREAD, the reason you gave me for wanting to be a member (if it is to "sell shoes", or to "sell drugs", or similar, I will not let you in.) That should be your first posting on GEI as a new member.

If you fail to make a post on this thread within a day or two of joining, I may delete your membership.

I see this a temporary procedure. We will see how it goes

== == ==

Link to here: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-newmem

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested to see how this works out.

On my site people register as normal but have to fill in a reason field. I don't get that many, but I get an amazing variety of reasons written, from "FFFIUGYTD" to short essays, many of which demonstrate a real knowledge out there.

I doubt you'll get many emails from spambots, or spammers, so it may well work well, because only those who want to join will bother.

NO NEW SPAMMERS - Are you curious about "the Rabbit Holes" ?

What is interesting, is that we were getting an average of 10-20 New Members a day,

and most of them seemed to be Spamsters.

That has totally stopped now, relieving our noble Mods of the need to clean out the spam and suspend the phony members.

I think we have also lost some genuine prospective members, but it just wasn't worth the hassle, and by irritating our Mods and destroying theit goodwill, it was a threat to the long term viability of the site. We had to do something.

No one has complained about the new policy, even in emails to the "New" address given above. But then: how do you complain, if you cannot join?

== == ==

down-the-rabbit-hole.jpg

Cgnao has been a popular poster here for a long time, and it is interesting to read his notions about Rabbit Holes.

I think some of the postings in the FRinge Section discuss various other "Rabbit Holes", which are real or imagined. Those who surf here, will have to become members to see what I am talking about.

I'll be interested to see how this works out.

On my site people register as normal but have to fill in a reason field. I don't get that many, but I get an amazing variety of reasons written, from "FFFIUGYTD" to short essays, many of which demonstrate a real knowledge out there.

I doubt you'll get many emails from spambots, or spammers, so it may well work well, because only those who want to join will bother.

On my site I have the same and it has completely stopped the spambots. I wonder why the registration system on here can't be changed to include a reason question, would make things easier.

(I am setting up a new member now, who said in part):

"I am a daily reader of Mike “Mish” Shedlocks ‘s blog and so I got to know Dominics website as he interviewed Mish in december of 2009 for his prediction series. I listened to quite some interviews since, including of course the ones he did with you.

. . .

I would be glad to join your community.

My username should be: eimsbusher"

Maybe he can post the rest of what he said when his membership becomes effective

Dr Bubb,

You have an established site here, which means people do want to join and take part in your community.

You may be aware of the major spam problems my site has had, I have experimented with an advanced user registration process, to stop

bots and to deter further captcha smart bots I started experimenting with a paypal validation fee of 1 penny.

Since starting this, over the past week, I have had 7 new papal payments.

I think this is the future for online forums, considering the astroturfing and spam problems.

You must update your forum first though. And back up, back all this great information up.

Dr Bubb,

You have an established site here, which means people do want to join and take part in your community.

You may be aware of the major spam problems my site has had, I have experimented with an advanced user registration process, to stop

bots and to deter further captcha smart bots I started experimenting with a paypal validation fee of 1 penny.

Since starting this, over the past week, I have had 7 new papal payments.

I think this is the future for online forums, considering the astroturfing and spam problems.

You must update your forum first though. And back up, back all this great information up.

Thanks, for the tip, CC

Well-meant and appreciated.

(there's a reason that I have not upgraded yet, which I may advise you by PM.)

Actually, I think a sign-on fee of $1 or One Pound might be a good way to go, with a second means of an email to Founder,

if people feel that is too much to pay.

(I am setting up a new member now, who said in part):

"I am a daily reader of Mike “Mish” Shedlocks ‘s blog and so I got to know Dominics website as he interviewed Mish in december of 2009 for his prediction series. I listened to quite some interviews since, including of course the ones he did with you.

. . .

I would be glad to join your community.

My username should be: eimsbusher"

Maybe he can post the rest of what he said when his membership becomes effective

Hi folks,

yes, I gladly do that.

I am an investor and trader from Hamburg/Germany and I am always interested in exchanging ideas about the markets, new ideas where to invest and how. I am quite focused right now on trading psychology (being a psychologist actually). For me that is the key element on being a successful investor or trader.

Regards,

Stefan

I am an investor and trader from Hamburg/Germany and I am always interested in exchanging ideas about the markets, new ideas where to invest and how. I am quite focused right now on trading psychology (being a psychologist actually). For me that is the key element on being a successful investor or trader.

Regards, Stefan

Welcome, Stefan.

Please feel free to post and start threads on topics that interest you

• 3 weeks later...

I am still getting emails, and signing up New Members.

So if you are a LURKER and want to Join our discussion here, do not be afraid to email me !

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be shy !

Lurkers : Send me an email, if you want to join us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have become awkwardly lodged part-way down, and cannot yet see all the way to the bottom. Someone needs to grease me up.

Ask questions in the Fringe section, if you like.

Still only a large few handfuls of our members have a serious interest in these topics.

But I reckon that interest will grow as people keep watching, and stay aware

At the moment: the $50 Silver price attracts 10x the traffic as the NWO sock puppet in the White House

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly a quick hello to all the site members , secondly a huge thank you to all the contributors who have in a short space of time allowed me to understand and act upon todays economic / finacial environment .

Coming from a civil engineering background rather than one of economics/finance i have a little catching up to do.

My aims are small , (a.) to minimize the impact of currency debasement and the wider economic system on me and my family (maybe even a small profit wouldn't hurt, would it ?). (b.) learn and understand the mechanisms that will / may allow me to avoid many of the pitfalls of the system. (I hope that doesn't sound too wooly).

To conclude : Hello and thank you to all.

GlassBubble

ps. time to go finish my rough designs for a home made solar heat exchange.

My aims are small ,

(a.) to minimize the impact of currency debasement and the wider economic system on me and my family (maybe even a small profit wouldn't hurt, would it ?).

(b.) learn and understand the mechanisms that will / may allow me to avoid many of the pitfalls of the system. (I hope that doesn't sound too wooly).

Welcome, GlassBubble.

You might consider starting a thread here, describing some of the CHALLENGES that you see

from a possible currency debasement, and other coming economic disruptions.

Whatever the challenges may be, I think that other GEI members would relate to them, and they may have some interesting suggestions

Hi,

My aims are pretty baisc at the moment...but I hope they will grow. I am a relative new comer to investing, although I dipped my toes in to the water about 12 years ago before I changed job, had kids etc. Now I have a little more time and would like to be a bit more structured about my approach.....the trouble is I don't understand enough yet to do that. So, in the short term my aim is to read, learn and contribute where I can. As time progresses I hope to be able to give back as well. Maybe I could start a thread on how I go and what I end up doing?

Maybe I could start a thread on how I go and what I end up doing?

Why not?

You might want to first checkout several of the existing Diaries, to see what sorts of discussions and comments have been posted already

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join. I've little experience of forums (this being the first I have joined) but I look forward to contributing where I can.

I'm relatively new to investing, and therefore envisage participating more in a questions (than answers) capacity but will certainly try to give as much as I can.

I'm looking to develop a broader macro view of where my future investments should lie, and look forward to learning as much as I can from what GEI posters have to offer.

Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join. I've little experience of forums (this being the first I have joined) but I look forward to contributing where I can.

I'm relatively new to investing, and therefore envisage participating more in a questions (than answers) capacity but will certainly try to give as much as I can.

I'm looking to develop a broader macro view of where my future investments should lie, and look forward to learning as much as I can from what GEI posters have to offer.

Welcome to GEI, Jimothy

Do not be too shy in asking questions - that's the best way to learn

My first post to say hello Dr Bubb and all.

Starting with a copy of my request to join your informative GEI site.

Having been a "lurker" for a little time, I would like to be able to post on

your forum. Really more to ask a few questions than contribute, maybe some

which others are too embarrassed to ask.

My nephew mentioned this place, having convinced me to consider alternative

investment than banks. All I want to do is learn a little basic knowledge to

protect my wealth, which would hopefully to pass to my family and not the

government one day. Your site is great and a real credit to anyone looking to

learn.

My life has not quite reached the silver surfer stage, afraid that it looms large though!

Something of a late in life investment convert, no mortgage, no debts, just an extended

family! Little fed up with poor advice from unit trust managers and banks. My family prompted

me to buy some stocks and some odd coins. Just looking at all the new threads I could not see

before I ask any silly questions.

Welcome, Little ol Mo'

... a late in life investment convert, no mortgage, no debts, just an extended

family! Little fed up with poor advice from unit trust managers and banks. My family prompted

me to buy some stocks and some odd coins. Just looking at all the new threads I could not see

before I ask any silly questions.

You can start at any age.

I look forward to you postings