Wanderer's Trading Diary

I am very glad to hear it, W.

I thought we might have lost you. Good luck with the portfolio.

== ==

I may move the Blog-Journals to another section.

Please comment / here: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....showtopic=10777

If you don't want the move, and a majority with Blogs also do not want it,

I will very happily leave things as is.

The idea was to make it easier to get to the Blog-Journals, and to increase visibility

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all,

I've not exactly been busy posting here recently: new country, new job and all that. I have less control over my time and so can't post here often, though I read a bit. I've also had less time to consider my portfolio.

In the interests of transparency and admit-your-mistakes, I've got to admit I've had an awful 3 months on my portfolio, with some big losses. I've only myself to blame: I'm sufficiently arrogant that I don't trust anyone else to manage my money but I haven't got the time to do it properly myself and I've also just made some wrong and bad choices. So, I've been on the wrong side of both the Stock Markets rise since August and the wrong side of the US Dollar/Pound. I've had gold, but less than previously, so I've missed out there. And I sold my SLW back at $17 (!!) (although I'd held them since $3 odd). And I've held VXX (enough said). So, much money lost, even more money not made.

Question is, how to go about re-shaping my portfolio now I've a little more time again. I'm wary of bailing out of e.g. XSPS just when it might turn in my favour, but don't want to hang on grimly through further losses. I don't want to miss out on gold/silver, but am wary of jumping in with all I've left only to see a big correction.

My investing isn't helped by my job: I don't know whether I'll be going overseas again soon and have a nice 4 year investment time horizon, or whether we'll be staying in the UK with the likelihood we'll have to use much of our stash to buy a house (we're renting but will be turfed out in August).

However, don't pity me: recently losses pale compared to previous gains garnered from advice here, so I'm quite happy now I've got used to the last three months' losses!

Given the timescale uncertainty above (my biggest headache) where and how would people start re-arranging their portfolio if they were me? All views welcome.

Wanderer

I'm wary of bailing out of e.g. XSPS just when it might turn in my favour, but don't want to hang on grimly through further losses. I don't want to miss out on gold/silver, but am wary of jumping in with all I've left only to see a big correction.

I was going to respond to this last night, but had had a few drinks so wanted to wait until this morning to see if I felt the same way, I didn't want it to come across in the wrong way. It is meant to be my objective viewpoint.

"Just when it might turn in my favour" = You don't want to exit as if you do and the market turns you are unwilling, in advance, to accept this possibility. You fear this outcome.

"am wary of jumping in with all I've left only to see a big correction" = The exact opposite of the above

You need to BUY your fear. I hope you understand what I mean here. I also sense that you allocate funds to risk capital and believe that as it is risk captial you can afford to lose it (?), this may be subconscoiusly predjudicing the outcome and paradoxically having the opposite outcome to that which you consciously seek. I may have read it wrong here.

I may also say you see in others what you see in yourself so all of the above is likely to also apply to me.

In the interests of transparency and admit-your-mistakes, I've got to admit I've had an awful 3 months on my portfolio, with some big losses.......I've been on the wrong side of both the Stock Markets rise since August...... even more money not made.

However, don't pity me: recently losses pale compared to previous gains garnered from advice here, so I'm quite happy now I've got used to the last three months' losses!

Given the timescale uncertainty above (my biggest headache) where and how would people start re-arranging their portfolio if they were me? All views welcome.

Just my thoughts.

Personally I was the right side of the market, but found because i'd been susceptible to bearish commentary on GEI and lets say other none mainstream sites, my usual high risk trading appetite was somewhat restrained. So likewise I also didn't make as much money,as possibly I should have done, in my evaluation with perfect hindsight. Basically i've taken profits far too soon on some that have doubled, when they went on to run much further. Am I being greedy? Don't know, but found myself cursing certain mining plays I ought to have left some running.

One thing i've said to myself going forwards, is to keep a focus on my own core beliefs; primarily around a diversified portfolio, which has worked generally well the last few years. Hence i'll listen to others, but i've got to keep to my own trading rules in general. However, this also involves partly preparing for the worse and contains a percentage "insurance" P.M element for a S.H.T.F financial scenario.

For me the timing entry points on P.M's are therefore removed, as I constantly keep this "insurance policy" around a percentage of my overall investment wealth. If we get a sharp drop I would therefore add, alternatively if P.M's skyrocket relative to my other investments, I simply ease back.

Like I said, just my musings.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE - from DrBubb's Diary

Hey Dr B., Goldfinger, all,

Good evening.

It's been a while since I logged in, what with moving back to the UK and all. We're about to complete on a house next week having rented for a year upon our return. I know that it isn't great timing, but it is a lovely big house and we'll be happy as a family and we couldn't have afforded it but for the ideas on this site. I'm only having to borrow modestly (5 year fix, 4.39%), and that still allows some leftover which means my physical stash can rest somewhere safe. It's a good position for us in that it minimises life stress - we had a difficult period upon our return when our investments were losing a lot of money due to my ineptitude. As it is we're still very fortunate and nicely positioned compared to so many of my peers.

Continued good luck with the site. I do browse, but don't like to log in at work and am simply too busy to post right now: Government in London is hugely busy as we reorganise to achieve the savings required in the current 4 year spending period.

Quite a sense that 'it all might be happening' right now. It will be an interesting period until Christmas.

Wanderer

I'm glad you have settled and found a house you like and can afford.

"...Only having to borrow modestly (5 year fix, 4.39%), and that still allows some leftover which means my physical stash can rest somewhere safe."

That is a great position to be in, and most are aiming for - So I wish you very good luck in your new residence.

I welcome your posts and participation here when you can find the time.

Archived