On the Wings of Gold: GF's GAMBLING & COMMODITIES Thread

OK, I Bought U3O8 Corp. I thought I'd have a shot at it after hearing that Eric King holds 1,000,000 shares. :) This is a high risk, high reward play. Founder Barron gave an interview on King World News last week. It's not a mine, but an exploration corp.

I'll buy another uranium mine within the next 1-2 days. I'll announce the name of the firm once I've gone through with it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hold Hathor and I am certainly not selling into the Cameco offer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-05/uranium-takeover-at-40-premium-shows-nuclear-future.html

Uranium Deal at 40% Premium Shows Nuclear Future After Fukushima: Real M&A

Cameco, the largest uranium producer, took its $530 million bid for Hathor Exploration Ltd. (HAT) to shareholders last week after negotiations failed to lead to an agreement.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sold Hathor today at a price higher than Rio Tinto's offer, which is recommended by Hathor's board. Now I need to think about how I invest the profits. Maybe more uranium miners? Not sure yet.

I hold Hathor and I am certainly not selling into the Cameco offer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-05/uranium-takeover-at-40-premium-shows-nuclear-future.html

• 2 weeks later...

I sold Hathor today at a price higher than Rio Tinto's offer, ...

Now I could kick myself:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-20/new-cameco-bid-topping-rio-tinto-seen-in-record-hathor-valuation-real-m-a.html#

Cameco and Rio Vie for Record Hathor Value

The future of nuclear power is so bright that the industry’s richest takeover offer may still not be enough to let Rio Tinto Group win a bidding contest for Hathor Exploration Ltd. (HAT)

Hathor, which owns a Canadian uranium deposit, climbed to C$5.06 last week after the world’s third-largest mining company raised its deal price to C$4.70 a share.

“The bidding war indicates the significant value that industry insiders and experts see on uranium companies,” Bruno del Ama, who runs the Global X Uranium ETF (URA) and oversees $1.3 billion as chief executive officer of Global X Management Co. in New York, said via telephone. “Nuclear demand will continue to be significant, driven primarily by significant buildup of nuclear reactors in emerging markets such as China.”

Still holding on to Strathmore, UraniumOne and U3O8.

BTW, what happened to geothermal? The shares have all been crashed, Nevada Geothermal was talked about as a candidate for going bust in December. Apparently it has/had problem with it's only power plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I might double up on one of my uranium investments. Maybe I go for the biggest one: UraniumOne.

Done (more than doubled). Rationale: the thing has sold of more than some juniors, so why not go for the senior. Not well-researched that opinion, but the investment is small anyway.

I sold Hathor today at a price higher than Rio Tinto's offer, which is recommended by Hathor's board. Now I need to think about how I invest the profits. Maybe more uranium miners? Not sure yet.

Have you got any Laramide / LAM.v yet ?

• 3 weeks later...

What impact do you think the word "GAMBLING" (in the thread title) has, subconsciously, on your decision making?

I'm not following it that closely but you seem to be posting each time you buy and sell, therefore you're consistently reinforcing that message subconsciously, each time you see the thread title.

Mind me asking what in particular finally sold it to you?

From what I have read & heard, it looks to me as if the company mostly has a management problem. But the assets seem to be there. So, I hope, they finally get their act together or maybe simply sell to a better managed company. But, obviously, the thing might get rammed deeper into the ground first. All this is not very well researched, and by I have by no means made a large investment. And its already down 30% or what? :)

Archived