Sylvester has snapped

Copied from another thread for maximum effect:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, been at work all day and no access to internet (and might have been out on the beers last night). It's become very difficult to mod recently and I'd have swung the banning sword quite widely (and wildly) recently if this has been my site. But it's not and I don't want to cause any harm to the good work DrBubb et al. have done.

As mods we do 'work' here for free and do our best to help the forum. We don't have any easy way of chatting to each other about a questionable post in real time as we all live in different time zones. So we basically have to wing it and act alone, hoping we don't go too far or are too lenient in each circumstance.

However, the level of frustration is now so high amoungst sop many posters I will be acting differently.

From now on if I see any posts that are over the line (and you all know where the line is) I will suspend that members posting privileges until DrBubb returns and 'decriminalises them' if he chooses to. Other mods, please do also feel free to un-ban people and I'll bow to your judgement without any bad feelings.

I will ban and not answer questions about why someone was banned nor hear any arguments in their favour.

Those many of you with the brilliant, insightful, witty posts, please continue to post without fear and make sure you do not rise to the bait if provoked.

The minute you see a disrespectful post, hit the report button and I'll get onto it.

Sylvester

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a clear set of rules?

If people are banned for having a 'strong opinion' or indeed getting heated and emotional in their discussion then that will detract from the site. Indeed it's in these exchanges that I get to see a better insight into a persons opinion. If this borders censorship then that's fine, I'll just find somewhere else to spend my breaks and lunch time. I can really see parallels between HPC and what's going here right now!

Racist, foul mouth, trolling or just plain rude I can understand. I don't want to see that stuff either.

edited due to poor english grammar

Is there a clear set of rules?

If people are banned for having a 'strong opinion' or indeed getting heated and emotional in their discussion then that will detract from the site. Indeed it's in these exchanges that I get to see a better insight into a persons opinion. If this borders censorship then that's fine, I'll just find somewhere else to spend my breaks and lunch time. I can really see parallels between HPC and what's going here right now!

Racist, foul mouth, trolling or just plain rude I can understand. I don't want to see that stuff either.

edited due to poor english grammar

I'm not sure that rules are required so much as manners. In the words of Edmund Burke:-

“Manners are of more importance than laws... Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in.”

Edited to add:

More importantly, manners are self-adopted, rules are imposed.

The minute we seek rules, we are requesting to be controlled by exterior powers and averring that we are incapable of any form of self-regulation - the hall mark of the enslaved.

I suggest we adopt the rules of the David Icke forum, they seem perfectly reasonable to me. Icke is a big believer in fighting for freedom and democracy (well, that's what he says).

Welcome to the David Icke forums.

You are free to discuss anything of interest, but please can we show respect for each other and the difficult job of the moderators who volunteer their time and hard work to ensure that the discussions are not hijacked and dominated by the few at the expense of the rest.

The David Icke forums have become a focus for lively debate, insights and information and I hope you enjoy your stay.

best wishes,

David

FORUM GUIDELINES

Treating Others

This is a place for open and free discussion on a wide range of topics, and we ask that you respect each other by not bullying or harassing other members of the forum.

This is not the place for personal attacks, or to deliberately stop the flow of conversation from taking place. Please; Do not Hijack threads with the same questions if a Moderator has already answered them; do not post irrelevant images or text in other people's topics for no reason other than disruption; do not make any personal insults or irrelevant one word answers. Do not spam “General” or "Today's News" with a bunch of new threads all in one session. Do not sign-up multiple user IDs for the purpose of trolling the forum or answering your own posts!

=======================

Trolling

While David welcomes discussions on his research and doesn’t expect everyone will necessarily agree with every aspect of his work, anyone who joins this forum with the sole intention of flaming David Icke on his own forum will find their user account promptly suspended without warning.

Same applies to anybody who flames other users or deliberately disrupts other users who wish to seriously discuss aspects of David’s work. Forum disrupters who seek to do this will need to find themselves another forum to post on.

While it is perfectly fine to discuss aspects of David’s work you disagree with or do not understand posters who habitually criticize David’s work while offering little or nothing constructive to forum discussions will not be allowed to dominate this forum. Members who try this on will first be issued with a warning to let them know they are being asked to modify their troll-like behaviour. If this warning is ignored, the member will lose posting privileges without further ado.

We will not tolerate those with an axe to grind against David Icke, whilst using this forum to promote the work of other researchers in an aggressive manner. Again, such posters will be issued a warning to modify their approach, and if this is not respected their user account will be suspended.

======================

Moderation, Complaints, and Disputes with regard to Moderation

The Administrators of the David Icke website reserve the right to moderate this forum in anyway they see fit in situations that might arise that are not specifically mentioned in the above forum posting guidelines.

If you have a complaint against a Moderator, or you feel you have been unfairly treated after having attempted to resolve an issue with the Moderator involved, you are free to bring the matter to the attention of the Forum Manager who in this instance will act as an arbitrator to assist both parties to find a resolution they can both agree on. However before taking this course of action, we expect that members will try and resolve these issues with the Moderator involved as a first step. Serious complaints may be forwarded on to the webmaster.

NOTE: When a dispute is brought to the attention of the Forum Manager and there is clear evidence that the forum guidelines have been breached, please don’t expect to find sympathy!

Discussing moderation and moderation decisions on the threads.

While we appreciate that everyone has an opinion, moderation issues may NOT be the topic of thread discussions, no matter how strongly you feel about what may or may not have happened to yourself or another poster. Very often other members are not aware of situations that have transpired if threads and posts have had to be deleted. The Moderation team is NOT at liberty to discuss such matters on the forum threads, and any such attempts to debate a moderator in this way will be swiftly dealt with and may result in infraction points if a poster continues to seek attention in this manner.

If you are genuinely concerned about ANY moderation decision, you may private message (PM) a Moderator for clarification, but you don’t have the right to demand private information that may have transpired between a Moderator and another member. We respect member privacy. If you have serious concerns and you feel you have not received a sufficient response from a Moderator, please feel free to PM the Forum Manager for further clarification.

Harassing Moderators

Any member who feels they have the right to threaten, harass or otherwise intimidate Moderators (either on the forum threads or via PM) will find restrictions placed on their user accounts, or will be banned. The members of the moderation team on the David Icke forum are all volunteers who give of their time freely for the benefit of others. They did NOT sign on to put up with abuse. Please be respectful.

If you do not agree to comply with these guidelines, please do not apply for a forum account. Anybody repeatedly ignoring the guidelines or the advice of a Moderator will have restrictions placed on their account.

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/faq.php

I'm not sure that rules are required so much as manners. In the words of Edmund Burke:-

“Manners are of more importance than laws... Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarize or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in.”

Edited to add:

More importantly, manners are self-adopted, rules are imposed.

The minute we seek rules, we are requesting to be controlled by exterior powers and averring that we are incapable of any form of self-regulation - the hall mark of the enslaved.

i totally agree with this

the manners displayed by certain posters lately have been poor.

however, whenever we get these levels of market volatility, this seems to be a repeating pattern

Agree with No6 also

abbreviated to save space but agree 100% with 100%

catflap and harvipark amoungst others are very useful members of GEI and shouldnt be allowed to leave

Maybe if certain people are causing constant trouble a longer ban is in order.

GOM I seem to remember a while ago stated he had made his last post here ?

& Goldfinger - you were exactly right to start your longer term gold thread. The monthly gold thread seems to be a cause of irritation between certain posters. Likewise the hyperinflation thread also seems to cause disputes. In all seriousness - what are these threads good for? If the idea of trading gold annoys you (you is the person reading this, not Goldfinger) stay away - likewise to sensible GEI posters consider those threads to have a health warning.

If we are adults we should be capable of having sensible discussions without getting upset. We should be able to trade opinions not insults. We should be able to accept a little ribbing while refraining from upsetting others ?

No problem here with those rules

I quite liked those rules but it will be up to DrBubb whether he wants to implement them or not. Until then, posting with good manners (as methinkshe points out) is the best guide I can give. And I certainly won't ban anyone with contrary or strong opinions that may get emotional on a subject. That's what makes threads (even more) interesting.

Copied from another thread for maximum effect:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, been at work all day and no access to internet (and might have been out on the beers last night). It's become very difficult to mod recently and I'd have swung the banning sword quite widely (and wildly) recently if this has been my site. But it's not and I don't want to cause any harm to the good work DrBubb et al. have done.

As mods we do 'work' here for free and do our best to help the forum. We don't have any easy way of chatting to each other about a questionable post in real time as we all live in different time zones. So we basically have to wing it and act alone, hoping we don't go too far or are too lenient in each circumstance.

However, the level of frustration is now so high amoungst sop many posters I will be acting differently.

From now on if I see any posts that are over the line (and you all know where the line is) I will suspend that members posting privileges until DrBubb returns and 'decriminalises them' if he chooses to. Other mods, please do also feel free to un-ban people and I'll bow to your judgement without any bad feelings.

I will ban and not answer questions about why someone was banned nor hear any arguments in their favour.

Those many of you with the brilliant, insightful, witty posts, please continue to post without fear and make sure you do not rise to the bait if provoked.

The minute you see a disrespectful post, hit the report button and I'll get onto it.

Sylvester

Hi

Your mod efforts are appreciated

But your latest approach is not moderation, it is police state authoritarianism.

Moderation is very hard because it requires time, attention, and balanced judgement. So the job excludes imposing authoritarian decisions. If you're instead resorting to the latter, then I respectfully suggest you consider whether you should step down from being a mod until you have more time, patience, and respect for other's rights.

Hi

But your latest approach is not moderation, it is police state authoritarianism.

Moderation is very hard because it requires time, attention, and balanced judgement. So the job excludes imposing authoritarian decisions. If you're instead resorting to the latter, then I respectfully suggest you consider whether you should step down from being a mod until you have more time, patience, and respect for other's rights.

I respectfully disagree. I will be using my patience, attention, and balanced judgement and if I find a post lacking then I will issue the suspension. I have not lost my head nor decided to ban everyone that has an opinion that I disagree with, I have decided to enforce manners on this forum by a threat of suspension. I really hope I don't have to ban anyone but I will if the current nastiness / trolling / abuse / bullying continues.

Best regards

Sylvester

I think you should re-think that one, seems completely unreasonable and as far removed from "moderation" as you can get.

I see you still have'nt given up yet CJ trying to get an understanding of where the goal posts are.

Wasting your time i personally feel.

Its ok for other posters to start there own voting polls on voting off fellow members that seems acceptable,EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A COMPLETE FAILURE 12 votes. :lol::lol::lol:

Thats about what the thread was worth.

PATHETIC ATTEMPT by what can be clearly seen by all who can be bothered to read the utter tosh being spawned,that the Plaintiff is actually the worst TROLL on the forum.

I think freedom of expression has been clearly lost.

Do people realise there is an ignore feature on the forum.

WHAT IS THE REAL AGENDA OF POSTERS WHO CONTINUALLY VENOMOUSLY CALL FOR THE BANNING OF OTHER POSTERS.??

All who want to contribute to a public forum should be allowed to do so,those constantly calling for banning should be rigorously scrutinised for their real agenda and motivations.!!

I see you still have'nt given up yet CJ trying to get an understanding of where the goal posts are.

Wasting your time i personally feel.

Yes and I have to say I am even more confused than before.

Some of the language of respected posters over the last few days has been outrageous and yet here they are getting hugs and kisses all around.

Taken a bit of a roasting in the pms market this week but can still rise above it all easy come easy go.

Its ok for other posters to start there own voting polls on voting off fellow members that seems acceptable,EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A COMPLETE FAILURE 12 votes. :lol::lol::lol:

Thats about what the thread was worth.

PATHETIC ATTEMPT by what can be clearly seen by all who can be bothered to read the utter tosh being spawned,that the Plaintiff is actually the worst TROLL on the forum.

A complete failure, really?

I didn't vote but it seems that 50% of those people want you banned - add my vote and it's a majority. That's pretty impressive considering the only people hanging about on GEI these days seem to be gold nutters and the the mod that saved you from futher humiliation was himself a ..... well he likes gold a lot.

Anyway, I'm sure had the poll been left up it would have been something like 80% to 90% that would have wanted you to feck off. We didn't get a chance to PM the good posters that you've recently driven away - GOM would probably been voted off, but by a smaller margin I think, say 55%.

Anyway if you take time to read the comments THE VAST MAJORITY OF GEI MEMBERS DON'T WANT YOU HERE, OK?

Go find yourself a new forum to troll.

Is there a place on GEI (or should there be) where all registered posters are listed, with some function that would allow others to award them a star or a bad mark. That way, we could all watch the tallys changing with time, and the mods would have a democratic measure of who (if anyone) is really pi55ing everyone else off and ruining GEI.

Is there a place on GEI (or should there be) where all registered posters are listed, with some function that would allow others to award them a star or a bad mark. That way, we could all watch the tallys changing with time, and the mods would have a democratic measure of who (if anyone) is realli pi55ing everyone else off and ruining GEI.

I can't help to think that this could be a very bad* idea. It's like allowing school kids to vote the most unliked teachers out. These teacher might be their best, they only don't know it.

This by the way is why I haven't left this forum yet. Some of the stuff AAK or sparky write keeps me sharp, because it reminds me why I started buying gold in the first place.

EDIT: * Sorry, typo at first!!

Is there a place on GEI (or should there be) where all registered posters are listed, with some function that would allow others to award them a star or a bad mark. That way, we could all watch the tallys changing with time, and the mods would have a democratic measure of who (if anyone) is realli pi55ing everyone else off and ruining GEI.

i think that would only work if you knew who had made the corresponding tick or cross, that way the person making the tick or cross would think twice before making their assessment

however, i think this is the wrong approach since it is still open to abuse; it could also be argued that such a system would support 'group think'

if we all agreed to some basic principles (re. keeping on topic - respecting each other) from the start, then any deviation from this could be judged (by a mod etc.) accordingly

I posted some thoughts on this earlier. feel free to rip it to shreds!

Hi

I understand your concerns, but in order to moderation as you have suggested requires basic rules and support, attempts at establishing these basic requirements have previously been sabotaged on numerous occasions. The discussion to establish basic standards was misrepresented as 'telling people what they can say' a classic straw man argument used along with the rhetorical vague-freespeech fallacy to limit attempts to establish basic standards.

I feel the need to emphasise that we should not attempt to find a solution or argue over this matter until DrBubb has returned and had chance to get the time to see what has gone on.

The David Icke forum rules are highly relevant, as are the rules that Pixil8rs website 24k have displayed in the main forum

http://www.24knews.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&a...id=4774bccb80d3

2. No flaming, name calling, or generally being lame. If someone is verbally abusive towards you, be an adult and ignore the other person. You can also report a post to the moderator by clicking this image . This is not real life, and all the name calling in the world will not settle your argument.

------------

6. For any personal comments about other members or the way the board is being run please use the members only section.

Any discussion about Trolling, banning, moderation policy, standards etc.. should take place in a members only section of the forum such as 'About GEI' this way new visitors do not get to see the the ugly side of forum disputes and more importantly it will starve the trollish element of the attention that they crave.

The standard internet protocol of 'not feeding the trolls' has the effect of giving the impression that trollish behaviour is acceptable, this is why some posters feel the need to react to combat the threat. I would suggest that this is not the time nor the place. I will be weighing in 'heavily' on this topic when DrBubb has returned and had chance to catch up, and I would urge all those with strong opinions to hold and refine their thoughts until we have the chance to channel them in a manner that influences the forum in a positive manner.

The standard internet protocol of 'not feeding the trolls' has the effect of giving the impression that trollish behaviour is acceptable, this is why some posters feel the need to react to combat the threat. I would suggest that this is not the time nor the place. I will be weighing in 'heavily' on this topic when DrBubb has returned and had chance to catch up, and I would urge all those with strong opinions to hold and refine their thoughts until we have the chance to channel them in a manner that influences the forum in a positive manner.

Just a reminder to the good posters on this site. Please refrain from feeding the trolls. By responding to trolls you are only encouraging them!

I can't help to think that this could be a very bad* idea. It's like allowing school kids to vote the most unliked teachers out. These teacher might be their best, they only don't know it.

This by the way is why I haven't left this forum yet. Some of the stuff AAK or sparky write keeps me sharp, because it reminds me why I started buying gold in the first place.

EDIT: * Sorry, typo at first!!

Are you planning to leave?

Archived