Inviting back... certain GEI posters

Should former posters be invited back?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for those "old" posters who should be invited back (multiple choice)

• Romans Holiday (left voluntarily)
    • Halcyon (left voluntarily)
    • CDSwamp (banned)
    • Other (please give name)
    • No, I cannot think of anyone who should be invited to return to GEI
  2. 2. Please vote for those "old" posters who should NOT be invited back, at least not yet (multiple choice)

• Romans Holiday (left voluntarily)
    • Halcyon (left voluntarily)
    • CDSwamp (banned)
    • Other (please give name)
    • No, I cannot think of anyone who I would not want invited to return to GEI
  3. 3. To keep these sort of posters onboard, we need to... (multiple choice)

• Be more tolerant and respectful to other posters
    • Have tighter moderation
    • Have looser moderation
    • Have more moderators, especially in the European timezone
    • Have a set of rules, with quick 1-2 day bans, if broken
    • More ideas - see my post
    • Nothing needs changing, some folks are too thin-skinned
    • None of the above / or No opinion

I plan to send an email, inviting back certain valued GEI posters, who have left voluntarily

I thought it might be useful to have a poll, to show them how much support they have here, so please do vote.

=== from the Flaming thread ===

We need RH and Halcyon back*, otherwise we'll turn into a crowd of gold-blinded lemmings leaping off into the hyper-deflationist abyss (or so I believe RH would formulate it).

* I'm serious.

I agree.

They are missed.

Perhaps I should test this with a poll...?

I also want to know what we need to do to keep such valued posters onboard

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I plan to send an email, inviting back certain valued GEI posters, who have left voluntarily

I thought it might be useful to have a poll, to show them how much support they have here, so please do vote.

=== from the Flaming thread ===

I agree.

They are missed.

Perhaps I should test this with a poll...?

I also want to know what we need to do to keep such valued posters onboard

having a few issues Dr Bubb ? I have noticed your site has been very quiet since certain members left. People like controversy & difference of opinion, it gives you more chance to learn.

I don't ever want to post on a site that only likes people with the same point of view as I am then probably missing important info. Same goes for precious metals sites, I like the contrarian pov on those sites, keeps me thinking and learning.

having a few issues Dr Bubb ? I have noticed your site has been very quiet since certain members left. People like controversy & difference of opinion, it gives you more chance to learn.

I don't ever want to post on a site that only likes people with the same point of view as I am then probably missing important info. Same goes for precious metals sites, I like the contrarian pov on those sites, keeps me thinking and learning.

Nice to see you still posting here GOM.

Not my "issues". This was raised by other posters, and I happened to agree that these two deserved to be invited back.

Definitely, the site is quieter in the Far East timeframe without RH. But it is the quality of his postings in that timeframe that I miss, not the mere traffic

I agree with you about differing POV from a variety of posters

Hi GOM

You may have a point but equally, people don't want to read through pages and pages of rant. I for one have enjoyed the forum a lot more recently.

MIS

I did not know those two had left.

What caused their departure?

If they are lurking, maybe they can come back and tell us.

I agree that it would be very nice to have RH & Halcyon back, but unfortunately I personally believe they have both left for good.

Just a personal opinion but I think Halcyon left because he was rather poorly treated by a couple of GEI members who refused to engage in sensible discussion but rather rubbished his alternative viewpoints. I reckon RH noticed this and maybe that added to a frustration that had been building. RH did tell me he noticed a building lack of civility here and that he felt he had outgrown it.

One thing is for sure, if everyone is singing the same tune, then this site will be less interesting.

Going forward I suggest we keep an eye out for posters with an intelligent viewpoint and try and make them welcome

Bring them all back imho. Perhaps look into "posting holidays" should someone continually break the Gentleman's code on GEI. It sure would be dull on here if everyone agreed in a happy clappy manner all the time. Is it possible to add users to an ignore list on GEI should they become tiresome?

Yes. Click "MyControls" then "Manage ignored users" in the bottom left menu panel.

To be of real value as a medium of an exchange of minds and ideas the forum HAS to be open to ALL willing contributors people should put away their EGo'S and come here to exchange ideas and challenge their own preformed/indoctrinated views/beliefs.That is when real learning and knowledge is acquired.If people take offence to other posters the REMEDIES are already there to deal with the issues i.e ignore button and/or the complaints thread.Grow up people collect all your rattles put them back in the pram and lets all start educating each other.As for swampy's ban that is a joke i have asked 3 times for the offensive posts to be detailed so as there is clear and conscise understanding of the supposed inapropriate posts language etc the FACT that no one can be bothered to detail these posts says it all.

"Your mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open."

Anthony J. D΄Angelo

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein

To be of real value as a medium of an exchange of minds and ideas the forum HAS to be open to ALL willing contributors people should put away their EGo'S and come here to exchange ideas and challenge their own preformed/indoctrinated views/beliefs.That is when real learning and knowledge is acquired.If people take offence to other posters the REMEDIES are already there to deal with the issues i.e ignore button and/or the complaints thread.Grow up people collect all your rattles put them back in the pram and lets all start educating each other.As for swampy's ban that is a joke i have asked 3 times for the offensive posts to be detailed so as there is clear and conscise understanding of the supposed inapropriate posts language etc the FACT that no one can be bothered to detail these posts says it all.

"Your mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open."

Anthony J. D΄Angelo

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein

100% Good Quality Post!

Love the "Your mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open." and will try and keep true to it and myself.

Everyone constructs an imperfect model of the world in their own mind through a narrow tunnel of the senses. If we recognise how limited our view is, we can begin to learn. A forum that is designed for economic discussion will attract mainly those people concerned with acquiring wealth but also some who may be interested in economics only as a part of the greater picture of human behaviour.

Life changes, interests diverge, people move on. I find fewer interesting views here of late. With a system in place where posters are encouraged to 'run off and tell Mum' that another poster has upset them or used 'naughty' words, a bland arena is assured.

Everyone constructs an imperfect model of the world in their own mind through a narrow tunnel of the senses. If we recognise how limited our view is, we can begin to learn. A forum that is designed for economic discussion will attract mainly those people concerned with acquiring wealth but also some who may be interested in economics only as a part of the greater picture of human behaviour.

Life changes, interests diverge, people move on. I find fewer interesting views here of late. With a system in place where posters are encouraged to 'run off and tell Mum' that another poster has upset them or used 'naughty' words, a bland arena is assured.

I think maybe people have been overly focus on the Precious metals trade, and less interested in other issues.

For example, the best and most in depth comments on Buffett versus the Soccer Moms article were posted

by Yelnick on his Blog (well worth a read!), and not on GEI. But it started as a GEI posting.

Surviving Collapse of the Tape Worm economy got far fewer hits and posts than it deserved IMHO.

Perhaps the strange title put people off?

I think maybe people have been overly focus on the Precious metals trade, and less interested in other issues.

For example, the best and most in depth comments on Buffett versus the Soccer Moms article were posted

by Yelnick on his Blog (well worth a read!), and not on GEI. But it started as a GEI posting.

Surviving Collapse of the Tape Worm economy got far fewer hits and posts than it deserved IMHO.

The Tapeworm economy thread was very interesting.

I think the problem is that it is very cheap and easy to deal with metals on Gold Money and Bullion Vault. It does not take much thinking or analysis. Many of the posters (me included) maybe do not have the time to do the work required to make trading in stocks profitable.

I do think we need a balance of views. For me the site is best for Elliot wave analyses, doomsday scenarios, how to protect yourself from inflation / deflation, the housing market and also the Trading Diary.

The site appeals to me less when politics is discussed as I think there is an imbalance in favour of libertarians and anarchists and a more centrist or left wing position is drowned out.

But for financial matters there is plenty of good advice and information here.

I would invite everyone back and see what happens. I do not really see why some people were banned and others weren't. Also I would like to see RH, GOM, CGNAO and CD Swamp start to post again.

Maybe a category could be created (something like Trolls but not Trolls) for people who go off the rails and become abusive. This can serve as a warning to people and those who choose to can ignore them?

I think the 'tapeworm' thread is most excellent but it has a lot of material which needs time to absorb. For those in a hurry it is difficult to shuck in a quick comment compared to PM's which have people drooling at the mouth, very emotional etc... Personally I find these survivalist threads fascinating but difficult to respond to quickly. They are character forming in nature and the PM threads are full of quick commentaries and wealth preserving/accumulating/trading views.

Churchill had the same problem warning the population of GB for years about war, then about the 'iron curtain'. He was labelled a war monger and ignored until the King called on him as the only voice of reason after all else failed. We all know the rest. So don't be disheartened by clicks and hits. People will become interested in other issues after they have loaded up on metals. Maybe a resource page for reference needs to be made where all these other interesting ideas are stored before they disappear. BFC, Iceland, Tapeworm etc... To my mind it is well worth planning for after the consequences of the mess we are in, today. Be it BFC or hyperinflation, deflationary depression, global financial holocaust, gliding down to zero or whatever. PM's feature here but so too does land, food, oil use, friends, communities, tribes and all the rest, not forgetting Manic Swings... ;)

Keep pumping good threads Dr.B.

There is a strange idea existing on this board that when somebody insults you and you you tell them to go to hell that it somehow means that the insulter is victorious

In a real life situation the insulter would be punched to the ground

But here these idiots get a huge cheer

Exactly ALK Thats why its a case of "sticks and stones will break my bones and names will never hurt me" you are in another illusionary fictional world.

I dont hear anyone cheering lots of :lol::lol::lol: Though Life is for enjoying and laughing chill out.Its all an ILLUSIoNARY GAME.

I think the 'tapeworm' thread is most excellent but it has a lot of material which needs time to absorb. For those in a hurry it is difficult to shuck in a quick comment compared to PM's which have people drooling at the mouth, very emotional etc... Personally I find these survivalist threads fascinating but difficult to respond to quickly. They are character forming in nature and the PM threads are full of quick commentaries and wealth preserving/accumulating/trading views.

Churchill had the same problem warning the population of GB for years about war, then about the 'iron curtain'. He was labelled a war monger and ignored until the King called on him as the only voice of reason after all else failed. We all know the rest. So don't be disheartened by clicks and hits. People will become interested in other issues after they have loaded up on metals. Maybe a resource page for reference needs to be made where all these other interesting ideas are stored before they disappear. BFC, Iceland, Tapeworm etc... To my mind it is well worth planning for after the consequences of the mess we are in, today. Be it BFC or hyperinflation, deflationary depression, global financial holocaust, gliding down to zero or whatever. PM's feature here but so too does land, food, oil use, friends, communities, tribes and all the rest, not forgetting Manic Swings... ;)

Keep pumping good threads Dr.B.

Some good points made but I disagree about Churchill - he was a war monger who sabotaged all attempts at peace. His Ego driven desire to be needed, caused the continuation of a war which eventually led to the deaths of perhaps sixty million people and laid the foundations for the corruption and eventual death of freedom in Europe.

Some good points made but I disagree about Churchill - he was a war monger who sabotaged all attempts at peace. His Ego driven desire to be needed, caused the continuation of a war which eventually led to the deaths of perhaps sixty million people and laid the foundations for the corruption and eventual death of freedom in Europe.

Quite right.

If only Neville Chamberlain had been prime minister, Hitler would never have dared to invade Poland.

Must go now, the pixies are back at the bottom of the garden!

Quite right.

If only Neville Chamberlain had been prime minister, Hitler would never have dared to invade Poland.

Must go now, the pixies are back at the bottom of the garden!

I half expected a moronic post from you about this. Why don't you acquire some knowledge instead of spending your time parroting the ideas instilled in you by others?

Archived