What to do and see in Brisbane this July-Sept?

I'm looking for a bit of advice and I know there are a lot of Aussies on the forum.

I've got a 12 week job placement in Brisbane ahead from July for 12 weeks. I will have to work hard (very hard) but I am looking for advice from knowledgable GEI-ers on where to go for the odd weekend trip, or indeed what I can do in Brisbane itself on weekends.

Also, anything I need to bring as an anglo-saxon brit not used to the climate, wildlife and perhaps locals

(insect repellant etc.)

My travel budget is OK but not extravagent. All advice appreciated :)

I'm looking for a bit of advice and I know there are a lot of Aussies on the forum.

I've got a 12 week job placement in Brisbane ahead from July for 12 weeks. I will have to work hard (very hard) but I am looking for advice from knowledgable GEI-ers on where to go for the odd weekend trip, or indeed what I can do in Brisbane itself on weekends.

Also, anything I need to bring as an anglo-saxon brit not used to the climate, wildlife and perhaps locals

(insect repellant etc.)

My travel budget is OK but not extravagent. All advice appreciated :)

I backpacked there 4 years ago and although the £ is worth less now you can do a lot and keep the cost down. The obvious ones are the beaches of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Fraser Island is great and need not cost the earth if you shop around a bit.

I and my other half preferred the Sunshine coast to the Gold Coast, so I'd head north. Go to Noosa also, its a cracking place and is a bit of a get away for Brisbanites so you can spend or fortune or not an awful lot as you see fit.

You can cut your costs by staying at the YHA's when you are travelling, book in advance as demand can be fierce. They aren't like the crummy youth hostels you get in some places, some are guest houses affiliated to YHA and it keeps the cost down.

If you go to the Lonely Planet website and use the Thorn Tree forum for Australia you can get some great advice for what there is to do and on a budet in the Brisbane region.

Above all, enjoy!

General

Archived